Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #61
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
'...Maybe there is a problem with SD cards on the latest OS but it shows up differently for different people.

that the impression I get from google searches. and not linked to any one make of cards. some recommend fixes, like remove it, re-insert it, reformat it - other say tried that, makes on difference. One reason i did not try much debugging is that none of my PCs now have an onboard SD card reader to test with. I have a cheap ebay USB one but that only works when it feels like it, so is useless for checking card health

there's no obvious recurring complaint in the fire tablet review threads, just a few moans.

I also get the impression , from reviews and searches, that there are a lot of poor quality fake SD cards on sale, but I was careful to buy one delivered by amazon - for ease of return
there is some freeware that I found which tests the actual available space on a new card, in case w youve been ripped off with a small card pretending to be a larger one, but it needs a PC card reader to work

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

i still cant find amazon recommended cards page
the tablet help says go to amazon.co.uk/firetabletstorage but there is no such page
they put an " amazon choice" sticker on one of sandisk cards but that's not a proper recommendation - just a marketing trick ?
PS i messaged amazon to ask where is that amazon.co.uk/firetabletstorage page, and is the samsung evo allegedly compatible for video downloads. will report back if I get a useful reply

Last edited by stumped; 12-24-2017 at 12:59 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #62
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update on sd cards:
1. there is a long and worrying thread here:
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...upgrade?page=4
i shall monitor this & not buy anything until I read of a fix
2. I had 2 useless responses from amazon
one claimed that my problem was because I had more than 15 downloads. i rechecked, I had 3 only so I asked for a list and also pointed out that if that were true the download to internal storage instead would have failed. I how get another response saying sorry for the inconvenience - that the broken link to recommended storage cards is a "technical issue" and that my issue has been passed to another dept ( I wonder if they are aware of the aforementioned thread ?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #63
stumped
Wizard

update 2. this thread is even longer and even more scary. yes it's mostly about the 2017 HD 8 but I have one of those also ( though it does not have a card & it aint gettting one anytime soon after reading this )
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...s-5-6-0?page=3

some takeaways from both threads.
1. they keep updating OS5.6 without changing the release number, making tracking difficult
2. Samsung EVO cards ( like I had) seem especially troublesome with 5.6
3. there is mention of a battery drain if a pi-hole router blocks tablet from reporting metrics back to mothership: that happened at my daughters house -Fire HD 8 battery went 50% -> zero overnight, until my techie son in law debugged it & whitelisted device-metrics-us.amazon.com
4. overseas support at amazon is useless and they are not collating multiple reports of issues - so some posters predict mega customer upsets when the Xmas present tablets get turned on & fail
5. The google play store stupidly updating amazon system apps like the Kindle app also gets an honourable mention - I had that bug, but turning off auto - update on the play store version fixed it. it also wants to update amazon drive, alexa , and a few others I have had to say NO to . That bug goes both ways. I have had amazon store wanting to overwirite flipboard from play store with their own way out of date version