Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
One of the local Walmarts was putting up an eBook display when I went in today. It's just going to take two sections in the book department. There was a small video display and places to hang the cards, including the Kobo Aura "card." The Aura, itself, apparently isn't going to be on display. One of the ladies putting up the display said that there were going to be two "tablets" but she didn't know what the other one was going to be (she said "like this one" — she showed me the cards — I think she meant it would be an eInk Reader also). The only place where "Kobo" appears on the display is "Kobo Aura." Everything else just says Walmart. (I was wrong, they say "Walmart eBooks by Rakuten Kobo.") Walmart eBooks, with apps on the Play Store and the Apple Store (whatever it's called) logo on some of the display that wasn't up yet. At any rate, something is coming tomorrow (tonight at 12, probably).

I took a picture of what was up so far ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_160753.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	762.5 KB
ID:	165746  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-20-2018 at 06:08 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #47
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Only the Aura 2 (for now)? That may be a good thing — it might mean that Kobo will use Walmart to clear these out and they could be really cheap. (To put a positive spin on it.)

But none of the "new" Kobo Minis GoodEReader was claiming for the introduction of Kobo at Walmarts? I'm shocked! ... shocked, I tell you!
I was thinking the Clara HD would be the model Walmart would sell direct. I guess we shall see come 08/21

Hey can anyone in the USA tell me what shipping method KOBO uses to ship to the USA? I asked KOBO customer service and they had not a clue. If its fedex or UPS I can order online and arrange pick up at a facility.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I was thinking the Clara HD would be the model Walmart would sell direct. I guess we shall see come 08/21

Hey can anyone in the USA tell me what shipping method KOBO uses to ship to the USA? I asked KOBO customer service and they had not a clue. If its fedex or UPS I can order online and arrange pick up at a facility.
I don't know about "direct" but the the Kobo "cards" ("take one to pick up your Reader") were Auras. They didn't even say anything about Aura 2, I don't think. (The display just says the "Kobo Aura eReader" — so it may be referring to a couple different Kobo Auras.)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I've found some of the Walmart eBook links in Walmart's help pages ...

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/...2858/related/1

Looks like the login is going to be at ...

https://walmartebooks.kobo.com — so it will be hosted at the Kobo site.

When I click on the "Open an Account" (or "Go to Account") link I get the following URL and goes directly to my Kobo account.

https://www.kobo.com/?utm_source=WalmartHybrid

"?utm_source=WalmartHybrid" is added automatically. I don't know what that will mean in the long run, but it looks like it will (somehow) be integrated with my Kobo account.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-20-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #50
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've found some of the Walmart eBook links in Walmart's help pages ...

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/...2858/related/1

Looks like the login is going to be at ...

https://walmartebooks.kobo.com — so it will be hosted at the Kobo site.

When I click on the "Open an Account" (or "Go to Account") link I get the following URL and goes directly to my Kobo account.

https://www.kobo.com/?utm_source=WalmartHybrid

"?utm_source=WalmartHybrid" is added automatically. I don't know what that will mean in the long run, but it looks like it will (somehow) be integrated with my Kobo account.

Looks like they are offering $9.99/mo audio book subscription. Does any kobo support audible? I wonder if amazon will lower their subscription to below $9.99 to compete?
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #51
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:

My Clara HD was shipped via UPS to a US address. Signature was required for acceptance.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Looks like they are offering $9.99/mo audio book subscription. Does any kobo support audible? I wonder if amazon will lower their subscription to below $9.99 to compete?
No, I don't think so. As a matter of fact, the Walmart pages specifically mention that a Kobo device can't be used for Audiobooks. I don't know what format they're in, but if it's MP3 an older Sony device should work.

I just realized you asked if they supported Audible. No.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-20-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #53
HLS
Wizard

Well today is the big day. I do not see it online yet tho other than the 3rd party listings
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #54
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Well today is the big day. I do not see it online yet tho other than the 3rd party listings
the in store displays are getting set up, though
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...unching-today/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #55
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
the in store displays are getting set up, though
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...unching-today/
I’m gonna go up to Walmart and take a look here in the next hr
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #56
HLS
Wizard

I am at Walmart now. They don’t have them in stock yet
Old 08-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I am at Walmart now. They don’t have them in stock yet
Sorry. Two other Walmarts in my area didn't have them yet either. They must not be making their big push yet — or they're behind schedule. Hopefully it doesn't mean there is only going to be Kobo displays in select stores.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #58
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry. Two other Walmarts in my area didn't have them yet either. They must not be making their big push yet — or they're behind schedule. Hopefully it doesn't mean there is only going to be Kobo displays in select stores.
I called around and most people told me they have no knowledge of kobo or what a kobo was or that they would ever get them in stock
Old 08-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I called around and most people told me they have no knowledge of kobo or what a kobo was or that they would ever get them in stock
Weird. I'm beginning to think I'm living in a reality warp.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #60
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Weird. I'm beginning to think I'm living in a reality warp.
One walmart lady snapped at me. I called asking if they have the KOBO ereader in stock. She had no clue what a KOBO is and she works in that department where it will be sold. And I told her it was in the news and CNN since January that Walmart is partnering with KOBO to sell ereaders and the date announced was today. She was still lost. Then I asked her if she even knows what an ereader is and she got mad LOL

So far only one walmart store knew vaguely what I was talking about. He did not even know it was an ereader he just said "that book thing" hopefully by the end of the week lol

I feel so crushed. Kobo company if you read this your roll-out to the USA is a fail. lol