Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #31
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorka View Post
We have 4 or 5 mini's in use in our family and all are protected by one of these : Link to Aliexpress
We bougth them from another reseller, but they are the same. Low price, decent quality

Full body cases like these, while they look nice, add too much bulk to the Mini to be useful to me. I ended up buy one of these lightweight pouches (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Flanne...53.m1438.l2649) for $3.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #32
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Full body cases like these, while they look nice, add too much bulk to the Mini to be useful to me. I ended up buy one of these lightweight pouches (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Flanne...53.m1438.l2649) for $3.
While it adds a good 100gram to the weight (mini weights about 130gram) I still find it comfortable to hold. I like the added thickness when holding it (I turn the "flap" behind the reader). It still fits my (back)pocket, ... But that's all personal... It does indeed stain a bit on a white one (mine is black, the kids have white ones) but they seldom leave the case.

It isn't as good has the Gecko cover I bought for my H2O, but it does the job. And to be honest, I have the mini with me almost allday. The H2O stays at home or I take it with me on an holiday. It's just too big to carry around. (great e-reader tough)
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #33
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was surprised and impressed by the size and weight of the Mini. I like the Sony PRS-350 quite a bit, but now it almost feels "big." I think the Mini is going to get a LOT of use just because of its size. Like you, I just stick it in my shirt pocket when I'm reading. I keep it in a pouch when not using it.

I wish Kobo (or someone) would come up out with a new 5" reader – just so the format doesn't die.
Did you find it unusual that the usb connection is "upside down." Usually, I have to remember to plug in the charging cord like a pyramid, i.e, the short side close to the screen and the long end towards the back. Otherwise I might just try to mash the cord in the ereader and break it.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Someone has "seller refurbished" Kobo Minis up for sale for $37 on eBay. The price includes shipping. I can't, personally, vouch for the seller, but he/she has sold 88 of these (supposedly guaranteed) and has a 99.1% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Mini-E...fd0d1c|iid%3A1

(The seller is also advertising Kobo motherboards, Touch, Mini, Glo, original Aura, Aura H2O and Aura HD, from $10 to $20 including s/h.)

He’s in New York I wonder if he gets them on the cheap in canada
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Did you find it unusual that the usb connection is "upside down." Usually, I have to remember to plug in the charging cord like a pyramid, i.e, the short side close to the screen and the long end towards the back. Otherwise I might just try to mash the cord in the ereader and break it.
Yep. I noticed that on the first Kobo I bought (a Glo). But, fortunately, I'm senile enough now that I can never remember which way I'm supposed to plug in the charger anyhow, so I usually get it wrong on the first try no matter which Reader I'm charging at the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
He’s in New York I wonder if he gets them on the cheap in canada
I'm guessing the seller is actually Canadian. He just ships from Niagara Falls. But this is just an assumption, I couldn't guarantee it.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #37
nickatnoon61
nickatnoon61 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I hope it works out. I had always wished I had bought one of these when they were still available – found one about a month and half ago at a 2nd Hand Store – upgraded it, played with it a bit and then let it sit. I came back to it about a week ago when I decided I wanted to read some of my Kobo books I bought years ago. I just finished one book on it an started another. Although I still wish the screen had a little more contrast, the reader, itself, is very light, small and easy to hold.
I see "another" Niagara Falls seller (using the same pictures) has more Kobo Minis up for sale at $41. I think this is the seller – "spinningnoon" – that Zod Wallop (I hope I spelled his user name right) keeps mentioning when touting the original Aura reader. I'm pretty sure "maplewag" and "spinningnoon" are the same seller and, since spinningnoon" seems reliable, that should be good news.
...they ARE the same seller, and I don't trust either one of them. I had trouble last year with maplewag and had to file a complaint with eBay and Paypal. That was last year and I forgot about it....until recently I asked spinningnoon why he has THREE cameras pictured for sale, but in the fine print it sez, "Lot of 2". Now I am getting a message from eBay to PAY for this item, when I never bought it??? STAY AWAY from this CROOK.
nickatnoon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

For those in the U.S. who bought Kobo Minis and want a case, Amazon is advertising a Navitech case for 99¢ plus $2.49 shipping. I've ordered, but it won't arrive for a week or so, so I can't (personally) vouch for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The picture shows a green one, but it's described as blue and when you order it, there is a blue picture.

There's also a black one (which specifically mentions that it's a sleep cover) for $4.99 plus $2.49 shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

This one shows a flap for business cards, but that's for a bigger Kobo (like the Touch). If you go down into the reviews you'll see a picture of the actual Kobo Mini case. I don't know if the black and blue are the same or not – I guess it's possible that the black has a magnet and the blue one doesn't.

At any rate, for what it's worth. I'll give a short review (with pictures) when mine comes in – but I think they've been reviewed in the past on Mobile Read.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnoon61 View Post
...they ARE the same seller, and I don't trust either one of them. I had trouble last year with maplewag and had to file a complaint with eBay and Paypal. That was last year and I forgot about it....until recently I asked spinningnoon why he has THREE cameras pictured for sale, but in the fine print it sez, "Lot of 2". Now I am getting a message from eBay to PAY for this item, when I never bought it??? STAY AWAY from this CROOK.
Your experience seems to be unique as the eBay rating is high and several folks here have had good luck with this seller.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-05-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Received the Kobo Mini cases. Good deal. The blue one is not ashamed of its "blueness." Both are the same (both are sleep covers). The Kobo Clip Light clips across the flaps and actually works better that way than it did clipped directly to the Mini. Can't beat the price and it took about 10 business to arrive from England. (The blue one is now $2.99 instead of 99¢ – but still $2.49 for shipping.) I've attached some pictures (for what it's worth).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180816_145616.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	165674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180816_145709.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	165675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180816_145718.jpg
Views:	110