Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #1411
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I just picked up a side of beef and actually inventoried it which I haven't done in quite awhile. so just for kicks (or in case anyone else is thinking about it) this is what I have out of a 400 + pound hanging weight (half side) steer;
101 lbs burger
4 top round steaks
(small steaks are 2 to a package, large steaks and roasts are 3-4 pounds)
5 sirloin tip steaks
6 t-bone steaks
7 sirloin steaks
3 rib steaks
1 sirloin tip roast
1 tri tip
2 cross rib
1 rump
1 4 bone prime rib
1 brisket
2 short ribs
2 london broil
1 flank
3 tenderloin
4 eye of round
1 flap meat
7 chuck roast
5 packs of stew meat (I opted for more burger than stew meat)
6 packs of soup bones

I'm eating good this winter! steer was raised on my friends farm!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #1412
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I will be making chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake tomorrow morning, to bring to work on Monday. I'll be sure to tell you all how it turns out... I'lll be using fudge filled chocolate chips, I hope they taste as good as they look.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #1413
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I made a green salad with Purslane that grows wild in the garden, and baby tomatoes. Salt, oil and lemon juice, A marvel. So good that I am collecting seeds and next year I will have it in production.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #1414
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I bought a crock pot slow cooker so I could make a version of BBQ'd pulled pork... well, in this case beef. The local stupidmarket was selling what looked to be top round at a price that didn't require draining my entire bank account and I have been toying with the idea for a recipe that I really wanted to try.

Here's what I threw into the pot this morning;
About a kilo of tough beef
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup catsup
Worcestershire Sauce
Liquid Smoke
salt & pepper
1 TBS mustard powder
1 onion
1 carrot
2 cups Beef stock

I found some spare ribs two days ago and decided to try this again. I increased the Liquid Smoke, added a teaspoon of cumin, a tablespoon of minced garlic, 1/4 cup of dark soy sauce, and 1/4 cup of vinegar, and cooked it all up slowly.

After the meat was just ready to fall off the bone, I put all of the stock in the cooker into a sauce pan and reduced it by 3/4. When it had the consistency of BBQ sauce, I poured it back into the crockpot over the ribs and turned them on low for another hour....

ABSO-FRIGGIN' FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #1415
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I got a sugar pie pumpkin in my vegetable delivery a couple of weeks ago. Today I made Jamaican Pumpkin Soup in the crockpot. It was very good, and a beautiful soup too, particularly when you swirl in a spoonful of cream right before eating. We ate it with some fresh naan I bought at the farmer's market this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpkinsoup.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	78112  
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #1416
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
BEEF WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE

Yield: 3 to 4 servings if served alone; 6 to 8 servings if served with 3 other dishes

1/2 KILO LEAN BEEF
MARINADE:
1 Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon water chestnut powder (corn starch)
1 tablespoon sherry
1/4 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon chile paste
3 cloves garlic
3 teaspoons fermented black beans
3 slices fresh ginger root
3 tomatoes
1 large onion
2 green peppers

BINDER: 1/2 tablespoon water chestnut powder
:2 tablespoons chicken stock

SAUCE MIX:
1 tablespoon sherry
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 Tbs black bean sauce
1 Tbs chile paste
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

PREPARATION: Slice meat very thin and add marinade. Mince the garlic, black beans and ginger. Cut the tomatos, peppers, and onion into small pieces. Dissolve 1/2 tablespoon water chestnut powder in 2 tablespoons chicken stock. Measure into another bowl 1/2 cup stock. Add sherry, soy sauce, sugar, black pepper, and black bean paste.

COOKING PROCEDURE: Heat oil, add garlic, ginger, and brown beans. cook for 30 seconds. Add meat and cook until brown. Add onions and cook until soft. Add peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add sauce mix, stir, then add tomatos. Bring sauce to a boil and then add binder. stir well until thick.
took me FOREVER to find this recipe this weekend! I made it with soem variations. pretty good!

Stitchy, whats up with your avatar? looks like you are fading!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1417
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
took me FOREVER to find this recipe this weekend! I made it with soem variations. pretty good!
What variations did you make?

Quote:
Stitchy, whats up with your avatar? looks like you are fading!

It's my Halloween costume. I'm going trick or treating dressed as a Ghost this year.

Stitchawl
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #1418
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
What variations did you make?

It's my Halloween costume. I'm going trick or treating dressed as a Ghost this year.

Stitchawl
not a whole lot, I added baby corn to it, didn't put in the sugar. I was thinking about putting in some broccoli and mo-er mushrooms, but then I would have probably been eating it all week. not that that is an issue, but some variety is nice!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #1419
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Broccoli works well! I've made a black bean and broccoli dish following this same general recipe and it works! The broccoli really soaks up the flavors!

Stitchawl
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #1420
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I got a sugar pie pumpkin in my vegetable delivery a couple of weeks ago. Today I made Jamaican Pumpkin Soup in the crockpot. It was very good, and a beautiful soup too, particularly when you swirl in a spoonful of cream right before eating. We ate it with some fresh naan I bought at the farmer's market this morning.
Wow!! That looks so yummy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #1421
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Last night I wanted a simple Mexican flavor without much work, (before and after... i.e. no cleanup) and came up with this dinner for two;

1 can garbanzo beans
1 can black beans
1 can cut tomatoes
1 large onion diced large
1 chicken breast - cut in bite sized cubes
1/2 cup minced coriander leaves and stems
1 TBS minced garlic
1 TBS cumin
1 TBS dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fresh Rosmary
Jalapeno peppers to taste
3 TBS lime juice
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 pot

A little oil in the pot and brown the chicken. Remove to a dish
Onions into the same pot (not need to wash the pot first) and brown and burn. Add the chicken back in, along with all the other ingredients (except the lime juice!) and mix well.
Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and add lime juice. Adjust salt and jalapenos to taste. Serve with warm tortillas. Maybe some rice. Eat. Smile.

One pot. Two dishes. Two spoons. Two happy campers.

Stitchawl
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #1422
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I felt the urge and I couldn't resist! This is a dish for people who normally hate liver. Frankly, I can't stand the stuff... except in this one little dish!

Rumaki

package of chicken livers
can of sliced water chestnuts (NOT tree chestnuts!)
pkg of regular smoked bacon
Japanese soy sauce (Kikoman brand is best! Do not use Chinese soy for this dish)
Toothpicks.

Cut the bacon in half lengthwise.
Lay out one strip. Put down on sliced water chestnut at the end. Put a half piece of chicken liver on top of the chestnut. Put another water chestnut on top of that. Wrap the free end of the bacon around the pile, overlaping the ends, and secure with the toothpick.

Keep making more and more and more cuz you will want more and more and more once you taste them.

Place all of them into a heat proof tray with a little space between them. Pour soy sauce over the piles, covering all the pieces. (Alternately, dip each in a dish of soy sauce then put into the tray.) BROIL until the bacon looks just about done, turn over each piece, sprinkle on a little more soy sauce and broil until that side is done.

Let cool a bit, eat... smile...

Stitchawl
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #1423
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
dreams asked me to add this recipe to this thread, which I hadn't even realized was here. Though now that I think about it, of course it is!

Spaghetti alla Carbonnara
Serves 2

2 oz extra-virgin olive oil
2-4 oz bacon and/or pancetta and/or guanciale combination, sliced into lardons
4 oz dry white wine
1 extra large egg + 1 egg yolk
1 oz (30g) finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
½ oz (15g) finely grated Pecorino Romano
2 small garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press or minced to paste
½ Lb (225g) dry spaghetti
1 scant teaspoon Sea Salt
Salt for pasta water.

Before you start:
  • Set oven to 250 F(120 C)
  • Put water for pasta on to start heating to boil.
  • Assemble and measure all ingredients. (mise en place)
Now, step lively. Things happen quickly with the recipe:
  1. Place large Pyrex bowl in oven.
  2. Cook bacon/pancetta/guanciale in 1 Tbls of olive oil until crisp and place on paper towels to dry. Reserve 2 Tbls of rendered fat in pan.
  3. Add sufficient salt to boiling water to cook pasta, and add the pasta.
  4. Set timer on pasta for 8 minutes
  5. Beat cheese and eggs together in a bowl and set aside
  6. In pan with pork fat, add white wine and rest of olive oil. Reduce wine by 1/2. (if it starts to over-reduce, add water from the cooking pasta. The starch in the water will help bind the sauce together.)
  7. At 8 minutes, remove bowl from oven to work surface and spread garlic around bowl. (This blooms the garlic and takes the "bite" off it.)
  8. Drain pasta briefly, saving a cup of pasta water.
  9. Add pasta to bowl. Add egg mixture and mix with tongs, adding additional pasta water as necessary to create sauce.
  10. Add wine/oil mixture, add cooked pork, grind fresh black pepper over and mix thoroughly with tongs. Taste and sprinkle with sea salt as necessary.
  11. Serve immediately.

The only cooking in this recipe is the pasta and the pork. The sauce is "cooked" from the heat of the warm bowl and the warm pasta. Just enough to thicken and set the egg/cheese mixture without any risk of curdling. Adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding pasta cooking water if the sauce gets to get too thick.

There is no dairy in this recipe at all, and the flavour profile can be adjusted quite a bit by controlling the mix of cured pork, and the mix of cheese. My personal preference is for 2/1 Parmigiano to Romano, and 1/1 dry cured bacon to guanciale, but it is also good with all Parmigiano and all pancetta or all bacon.

Finally, a comment on ingredients. There are only a few ingredients in this recipe, so the quality of every one is critical. If you use good cheese and good cured pork products, you'll have a delicious and impressive dish. Skimp on these, and the result will be boring at best.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #1424
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I made a chicken pot pie this afternoon -- actually 2 of them -- loosely following the recipe in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." :whispers: except I used canned biscuits for the top instead of making my own crust.

But I DID use my own vegetables from my weekly delivery (new potatoes, carrots, and onions with some frozen peas added in), and 1/2 cup of cream, and other tasty things. It was very good!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #1425
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I made a chicken pot pie this afternoon -- actually 2 of them -- loosely following the recipe in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." :whispers: except I used canned biscuits for the top instead of making my own crust.

But I DID use my own vegetables from my weekly delivery (new potatoes, carrots, and onions with some frozen peas added in), and 1/2 cup of cream, and other tasty things. It was very good!
Betty, my only experience with chicken pot pies came as a child when my mother would force me to eat 'Swanson's Chicken Pot Pie,' which to my palate seemed to me more like small cubes of 'stuff' swimming in boiling wallpaper paste. GAK!

I have to believe that your homemade pies are not like that, and must be pretty good if you actually eat them rather than decorate your walls with it. I love the idea of mixing pie crust with good foods. So.... PLEASE.... give us the recipe!

Stitchawl