Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
seannymurrs
seannymurrs began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro (10.5")
Question Metadata solution for iBooks?

I have a (relatively) large collection of ebooks in epub format on my computer. I've used calibre to organize and manage all the metadata for the books. The problem I'm having is, when I import the epubs into iBooks, some of the metadata is incorrect. There also doesn't appear to be a way to fix/change anything other than the really basic stuff like title & author. The biggest issue I'm running into is the lack of a way to have my ebooks sorted by the authors LAST name. Even though I edit the metadata in calibre to have the author field listed as FN LN and the sort author field as LN, FN, iBooks sorts the books by the author's first name. The reason why this is a major annoyance is because, for audiobooks, it DOES sort by the author's last name. This means, when sorted by author, my ebooks and audiobooks by the same author aren't actually grouped together. Is there any way to fix this, or is it simply a limitation of the iBooks app? I even updated to the latest iOS 12 and macOS Mojave betas hoping it would be fixed in the revamped Books app. No such luck.
seannymurrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I can't directly answer your question but maybe this this thread is useful to you

EPUB3 should be able to handle metadata, and also note that Calibre can now convert to EPUB3.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I must confess, I'm a bit confused. On my mac, the audiobooks are in iTunes with no way to add them to iBooks. I have no problem changing the sort fields on audiobooks in iTunes via the Audiobook info in the right click menu for each audiobook. On my iOS device, they are in the iBook app, but I've found no way to manage meta data on my iOS devices. Have audiobooks finally been moved to the book app in Mojave? As far as I can tell, once an epub book has been imported into iBook, there is no way to change the meta data.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I must confess, I'm a bit confused. On my mac, the audiobooks are in iTunes with no way to add them to iBooks. I have no problem changing the sort fields on audiobooks in iTunes via the Audiobook info in the right click menu for each audiobook. On my iOS device, they are in the iBook app, but I've found no way to manage meta data on my iOS devices. Have audiobooks finally been moved to the book app in Mojave? As far as I can tell, once an epub book has been imported into iBook, there is no way to change the meta data.
Actually you can change the metadata in iBooks for mac in list view, but it's limited to title, author and categories with no sorting options.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have avoided iBooks (though not because of metadata oddities) because of the lack of control in appearance. I'd suggest NOT using it, and instead using one of the three very popular apps discussed in this forum, frequently. Those being Hyphen (my personal favourite), Marvin 3, and Mapleread.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert