Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
carygrant
carygrant began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Cannot wireless sync library

Hi

Can anyone help

Updated to v 5.1.3.3 (334) I am not sure if this is a reason

I cannot now wireless sync files to my tablet.

The connection is "forcibly" dropped by the tablet as cannot write to sd card.

This worked perfectly with the older version of CC. By the way it is the amazon app. if this is important.

If I use the content server then I can transfer the book even then sometimes it is a bit picky and will not work with a long press. I have to go into the metadata file select format to transfer and then download from there and it works. So it is not a write issue with my tablet

I am on KIT-KAT.

It worked perfectly before.

I had updated to Calibre 2.62 and then reverted to 2.61 and the error occurs on both so it would seem to be a Calibre companion "thing"

Can I revert to a any previous build to check and I know that I would have to build my whole library again!!

This is the error reported by calibre

calibre, version 2.61.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 584, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 1452, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 689, in _put_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 575, in _send_byte_string
error: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Anyone

Last edited by carygrant; 07-16-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added calibre error message
carygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like the CC wireless device connection can no longer write your SD card. Did your device recently upgrade to Kitkat? If so, see our FAQ How do I use an SD card with Android 4.4 (Kitkat) or later?.

Is your SD card full?

Sending us a CC debug log is the best way to help us debug the problem. See our FAQ How do I get help? Please remove the multipie.co.uk email address.

Last edited by chaley; 07-16-2016 at 07:30 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
carygrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It sounds like the CC wireless device connection can no longer write your SD card. Did your device recently upgrade to Kitkat? If so, see our FAQ How do I use an SD card with Android 4.4 (Kitkat) or later?.

Is your SD card full?

Sending us a CC debug log is the best way to help us debug the problem. See our FAQ How do I get help? Please remove the multipie.co.uk email address.
Narrowed it down a bit more only effects epub's, mobi's get transferred. As to kit kat. It this was updated over two years ago so I have ruled that out and there have been no updates of the os since then.

The card is not full 20gb free

I'll sort out a debug as requested

Debug log emailed auto reply away until 26 July 2016!!

Last edited by carygrant; 07-16-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: sent debug file as requested
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carygrant View Post
Debug log emailed auto reply away until 26 July 2016!!
That happened because you didn't remove the multipie.co.uk address. My son is away.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
carygrant

oops

Sorry about that

Tried something new

Setup another sd card same size different "brand"
Sandisk 64Gb now kingston 64Gb

This is "working for all types of book.

even so It is strange that this effects epub's not pdf or mobi format on the sandisk 64GB
Advert
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I looked at the debug log. You are storing books by extension, with "mobi" in ..../mobi and epub in ..../epub. There are 11909 epub files in the epub folder.

SD cards are usually formatted in FAT32. I think you have run into a FAT32 limit, which is 65532 entries in a single folder. A file can take multiple entries depending on its file length. You are using title - author so the file names are long. If the average file name length is 44 characters then the system cannot store any more files in that folder. This is what I think is happening to you, especially given that CC is internally reporting "no space on device" for that folder but not for the mobi folder.

That number of files in a folder will also probably be very slow.

If you follow the directions in this FAQ you will fix the no-space problem and also fix the performance problem (if you have one). I have added a lot of books on an SD card and now downloading books takes forever. What do I do?

As for why the new SD card works, I don't know. It could be that the new card is formatted in something other than FAT32. It could be that there was "wastage" in the old folder that accumulated over time. Or something else. If it is the second then the same problem will eventually happen again.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
carygrant

Wow Thanks for your help

I had in fact read that part of the FAQ before I originally posted and did not understand a word.

Then After reading your reply I looked at the template section in CC and Calibre and I was completely lost.

However after putting a cold flannel on my forehead I read through slowly and it seems to make sense as to what to do

I am trying it out now by deleting the database and books and will get back

Once again Thanks for your rapid response
Old 07-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
carygrant

Thank You Thank You Thank you

My Families library is ready for our holidays.

I still am not sure of how this has worked but I can see the new structure in the directories and it seems much "tidier" and the main thing is that it works.

Thanks for your prompt and constructive help.

I loaded the database and the books back to the sd card that did not work. so as you said, it seems that there was "wasted" space that developed over time.

I hope that my issue can be of help to other users that will come across this problem as the very involved post which describes the solution seems to indicate that this does come up.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carygrant View Post
Thank You Thank You Thank you

My Families library is ready for our holidays.

I still am not sure of how this has worked but I can see the new structure in the directories and it seems much "tidier" and the main thing is that it works.

Thanks for your prompt and constructive help.

I loaded the database and the books back to the sd card that did not work. so as you said, it seems that there was "wasted" space that developed over time.

I hope that my issue can be of help to other users that will come across this problem as the very involved post which describes the solution seems to indicate that this does come up.
You are very welcome. Thanks for asking and thanks for persevering.

I must admit that this is the first time I have been made aware of someone running into the 65536-entry FAT32 limit. I do need to write a FAQ about it, but I must find a way to write it that people will both find and understand. Perhaps something like "I have a lot of books in a folder and CC refuses to add more. Why?" Unfortunately phrasing this kind of "help" isn't something that I am particularly good at.