Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #76
designed
designed began at the beginning.

Device: none
First of all I have to say thanks for the reviews and opinnions on both, the PRS-300 and PRS-505. I've been looking for an ebook myself and since I'm in Europe, the Sony is just about the only reasonable choice.

I think the choice just got a bit tougher though, with the PRS-300 being actually so usable (I was a bit skeptic about the reduced screen size at first).

I presume that neither the PRS-300 or PRS-505 don't support any type of scribblings or notes? I'm looking for the ebook since I need to read a bunch of assignments from the others students of my creative writing group and I'd like to be able to scribble down my thoughts and comments about the assignments.
designed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #77
Peste
Peste began at the beginning.

Hi everybody, I need your help. Im not from USA, but from Czech Republic (Europe). And you can really help me, if you try on your PRS-300 this text : <TYLER MI SEŽENE místo číšníka, potom mi Tyler vrazí pistoli do úst a říká, že první krok k věčnému životu je to, že musíš zemřít. I když jsme po dlouhou dobu byli s Tylerem nejlepší přátelé. Lidé se stále ptají, jestli jsem o Tyleru Durdenovi věděl.> in TXT, Doc and do photo of it. If is somebody here that nice, please try it. I need it to know, because the result will say me to buy or not to buy it. I would be grateful.
Peste is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #78
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thickness of 300 putting me off

Yes it is slightly smaller than my 505, but I am a bit disappointed that it is almost 50% thicker.

I need to get to a store I guess to see for myself how it feels in the hand.

So far, although I am ready to upgrade my 505, I am struggling to justify either losing screen resolution to gain touch that I don't really need, or gain some portability, but at the loss of screen estate.

The Daily Edition seemed a no-brainer at first thought... but do I really need wireless connection to Sony? Do I really want to lose portabilty for 25% more screen estate at lower contrast?

I am edging towards the 300, but will prob hold out until the reviews for the Daily Edition come out next year.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #79
acollet
Maximus Portability
acollet began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
I picked up my PRS-303/SC last night @ Best Buy. I must say that I absolutely love it over my PRS-505. This is the perfect size for portability and awesome readability. Great product.
acollet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #80
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
Yes it is slightly smaller than my 505, but I am a bit disappointed that it is almost 50% thicker.

I need to get to a store I guess to see for myself how it feels in the hand.

So far, although I am ready to upgrade my 505, I am struggling to justify either losing screen resolution to gain touch that I don't really need, or gain some portability, but at the loss of screen estate.

The Daily Edition seemed a no-brainer at first thought... but do I really need wireless connection to Sony? Do I really want to lose portabilty for 25% more screen estate at lower contrast?

I am edging towards the 300, but will prob hold out until the reviews for the Daily Edition come out next year.
I'm curious why the 300 would be an "upgrade" from your 505?

Most 505 users seem to consider the 300 a downgrade.

Just wondering what you see in the 300 to make you prefer it over your 505.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #81
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm curious why the 300 would be an "upgrade" from your 505?

Most 505 users seem to consider the 300 a downgrade.

Just wondering what you see in the 300 to make you prefer it over your 505.
I have had the 505 since Launch week, and as I said I am ready for an upgrade, but what is frustrating me is that there is no clear upgrade from the new toys.

The 300 represents more of a sideways move to me.
The improved portability would be useful...very useful. But I do not think it would be enough for me to give up my 505 with its Dooney & Bourke cover and Sony light Wedge (which I carved out of its integrated case so it can be attached to a naked 505...very neat).

The Touch adds nothing to my 505, since I do not annotate books.

The Daily Edition might be useful, but it would not replace my 505, as I think the loss of portability will annoy me more than the improved screen or additional wireless.

Techie gadgets are very personal I guess, but after much pondering, my perfect Sony reader would be the form factor of the 505, with a non-touch screen that goes all the way to the bottom (7" diag). Lose the round buttons (which are not needed really), add a bookmark button in the top right of the reader above where the page turn buttons are and the menu and font size buttons on the bottom right. Oh... and no wireless!

That would replace my reader in a heartbeat.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #82
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
But I do not think it would be enough for me to give up my 505 with its Dooney & Bourke cover and Sony light Wedge (which I carved out of its integrated case so it can be attached to a naked 505...very neat).
Do you have pics? I'd love to see it, I have been wondering about the lightwedge case too.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #83
Peste
Peste began at the beginning.

Please, can somebody help me with my problem?
Peste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #84
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Peste--You might want to start a new thread. Your original message is kind of lost in the middle of this one.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #85
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peste View Post
Hi everybody, I need your help. Im not from USA, but from Czech Republic (Europe). And you can really help me, if you try on your PRS-300 this text : <TYLER MI SEŽENE místo číšníka, potom mi Tyler vrazí pistoli do úst a říká, že první krok k věčnému životu je to, že musíš zemřít. I když jsme po dlouhou dobu byli s Tylerem nejlepší přátelé. Lidé se stále ptají, jestli jsem o Tyleru Durdenovi věděl.> in TXT, Doc and do photo of it. If is somebody here that nice, please try it. I need it to know, because the result will say me to buy or not to buy it. I would be grateful.
Hi Peste, I don't have a PRS-300 or PRS-600 but I do have a PRS-700.
I've created the files you requested (.txt .doc .pdf). The eBook library converts .doc to .rtf.

Photo #1 .txt (@ large setting)
Photo #2 .rft (@ large setting) - converted .doc
Photo #4 .rtf (@ XL setting) - converted .doc
Photo #3 .pdf (@ large setting)

I hope this is helpful, it's the best I can do without a PRS-300.

Wetdogeared (WDE)

*edit* It appears that only .pdf converts your accents properly on my PRS-700 with eBook Library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TesttxtL.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	35438   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestrtfL.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	35439   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestrtfXL.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	601.5 KB
ID:	35440   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestPDFL.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	35441  
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #86
enygmatic
enygmatic began at the beginning.

I'm looking at getting a Sony Reader Pocket Edition. Couple of reviews that I read on various blogs, mentioned that there was a significant lag in turning pages as compared to the PRS-505. Is this true ?
enygmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #87
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by enygmatic View Post
I'm looking at getting a Sony Reader Pocket Edition. Couple of reviews that I read on various blogs, mentioned that there was a significant lag in turning pages as compared to the PRS-505. Is this true ?
The opposite is true: Sony 300 is slightly faster than Sony 505 or Sony 700 in turning pages.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #88
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peste
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Hi Peste, I don't have a PRS-300 or PRS-600 but I do have a PRS-700.
I've created the files you requested (.txt .doc .pdf). The eBook library converts .doc to .rtf.
Here are the files in case someone with a PRS-300 can check them for you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt TYLER.txt (251 Bytes, 144 views)
File Type: doc TYLER.doc (48.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: pdf TYLER.pdf (76.1 KB, 434 views)
Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #89
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Here are the files in case someone with a PRS-300 can check them for you.
Are you sure, doggie? I opened your .TXT file with Notepad and the č was displayed as a ?. Maybe that's a problem with Notepad, so I copied the text from Peste's post and pasted it into a new Notepad .TXT file, saved it, and opened it with Notepad and it is correctly displayed as a č.

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb and computer illiterate dog. But I thought I'd point it out just in case.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #90
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Are you sure, doggie? I opened your .TXT file with Notepad and the č was displayed as a ?. Maybe that's a problem with Notepad, so I copied the text from Peste's post and pasted it into a new Notepad .TXT file, saved it, and opened it with Notepad and it is correctly displayed as a č.

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb and computer illiterate dog. But I thought I'd point it out just in case.
Dang. I copied Peste's text into MS Word, and saved as .txt, .doc .pdf and that's what I got. It must have lost something in the translation. I'll have to try it again.

WDE.