Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Second Amazon account?

Here's a weird Amazon story for you.

In the past four months I've had three things come from Amazon that I didn't order with no other info coming with them. No one else in the family admitted to ordering them.

This morning I decided to call Amazon and see if they could give me a clue where these items came from. I gave the guy the tracking information from the package from yesterday, and this is where it got weird. He said it was from me. I said no way.

He asked if I had another Amazon account, to which I said no, asked if I had other email addresses (hah! doesn't everyone?), and said there was another Amazon account with my name, address, email address beginning with the letter "x" at yahoo.com (not one of my many email addresses). There is no phone number with the account. Said account does not have any of my credit cards on it, was created in June of 2016, and has made 18 purchases, all from gift cards, that have been sent to various addresses in the US, which included four to me, the first one was from last June, something I didn't remember even getting!

I asked CS how I could go about getting this account deleted and was told it couldn't be done. He eventually sent me to a supervisor who gave me the same run around, but said the two step-authentication I already have enabled is the best thing I could do, as not even CS can access my account without a code I give them.

If some strange person is going to use my name and send me things, can't they at least send me something I'll use?!?!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Report it to the police. It's indentity theft. Check your credit see if any accounts have been created in your name. Subscribe to a credit monitoring service or something like Life Lock.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Already belong to a credit monitoring service and there's been no unusual activity. Didn't think of reporting it to the local authorities.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Already belong to a credit monitoring service and there's been no unusual activity. Didn't think of reporting it to the local authorities.
The chances those gift cards are being legitimately purchased with the account holder's money are very slim. It's a crime in progress. It needs to be reported.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The chances those gift cards are being legitimately purchased with the account holder's money are very slim. It's a crime in progress. It needs to be reported.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I bet my hacked gift card was used to make one of these purchases or similar.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The local cyber crimes division said those with stolen gift cards/credit cards are as much of a victim as I am. He thought this was possibly a first step in identity theft. He said getting information from Amazon was extremely difficult. He suggested reporting it @
https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I bet you are right. There's no telling how many people have not reported strange packages like they should.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The local cyber crimes division said those with stolen gift cards/credit cards are as much of a victim as I am. He thought this was possibly a first step in identity theft. He said getting information from Amazon was extremely difficult. He suggested reporting it @
Be sure to do that. Amazon is going to have to implement security measures of confirming identity when these things are brought into question. They can't keep turning a blind eye to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-03-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Be sure to do that. Amazon is going to have to implement security measures of confirming identity when these things are brought into question. They can't keep turning a blind eye to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It was a very easy form to fill out. Made me feel better at least!
Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It was a very easy form to fill out. Made me feel better at least!
That's good. I would feel horrible if this happened to me. I'm curious what were in the packages?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
That's good. I would feel horrible if this happened to me. I'm curious what were in the packages?

Sent from my Nexus 7
The first one from last June wasn't even on my radar was a make-up tote bag I gave to my daughter.

The April package was lingerie... hubby thought I had a secret admirer. It was a one size fits all stretchy net sorta thing.

The June package was a bike mount for a device like a Go Pro. I thought maybe my son or his girlfriend somehow ordered it for him and it ended up on my account.

Yesterday's was a grill mat... we're probably one of the few people on our street without an outside grill (I use an electric George Foreman grill).

Last edited by copyrite; 08-03-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The first one from last June wasn't even on my radar was a make-up tote bag I gave to my daughter.

The April package was lingerie... hubby thought I had a secret admirer. It was a one size fits all stretchy net sorta thing.

The June package was a bike mount for a device like a Go Pro. I thought maybe my son or his girlfriend somehow ordered it for him and it ended up on my account.

Yesterday's was a grill mat... we're probably one of the few people on our street without an outside grill (I use an electric George Foreman grill).
Those grill mats if it is the one I am thinking make good cookie sheet liners.

Oh on the electric grill, one of the small ones or the one I lovingly call Big Bertha that can be used indoors or outdoors.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard

Oh I never thought of using them in the oven! The really really fine print on the box does mention that! There were three mats in the box.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Oh I never thought of using them in the oven! The really really fine print on the box does mention that! There were three mats in the box.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I picked mine up cheap at goodwill.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Quote:
I bet you are right. There's no telling how many people have not reported strange packages like they should.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It was near impossible to get info from Amazon for my own account.

Gift cards are treated like cash at Amazon. No paper trail. It's a popular connection to cyber crimes and identity theft.

I check my gift card balance everyday.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote