Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
KT3 Wi-Fi issue

Thanks to an old tutorial by knc1, I was able to set up wi-fi access from PC to PW1, PW3 and KT3. Using shared keys, no need for password too.

However, I face a peculiar issue with KT3. I'm unable to access KT3 from my PC(netbook running Ubuntu 14.04). Any pings to KT3's I.P don't succeed.

As a workaround, I open kterm on KT3 and from there, ping the PC's I.P - which works. After this, I'm able to ping/connect to KT3 from PC.

This reminds me of similar things I used to do on old PCs at my workplace.

I suppose there must a simple (or profound ) reason for this behaviour?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Thanks to an old tutorial by knc1
could you give a link please
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
could you give a link please
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450
Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks to an old tutorial by knc1, I was able to set up wi-fi access from PC to PW1, PW3 and KT3. Using shared keys, no need for password too.

However, I face a peculiar issue with KT3. I'm unable to access KT3 from my PC(netbook running Ubuntu 14.04). Any pings to KT3's I.P don't succeed.

As a workaround, I open kterm on KT3 and from there, ping the PC's I.P - which works. After this, I'm able to ping/connect to KT3 from PC.

This reminds me of similar things I used to do on old PCs at my workplace.

I suppose there must a simple (or profound ) reason for this behaviour?
Strange indeed.
Please mention which Kindle firmware version that was happening on.

That was written when the PW-1 was new, but I can't think of what difference that should make.
Nor why an outgoing connection would fix it.

Note: There are variations to the specifics of that series of posts for the newer than when-written models.
But the over-all procedure is the same.

Last edited by knc1; 10-06-2016 at 09:31 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Strange indeed.
Please mention which Kindle firmware version that was happening on.

That was written when the PW-1 was new, but I can't think of what difference that should make.
Nor why an outgoing connection would fix it.

Note: There are variations to the specifics of that series of posts for the newer than when-written models.
But the over-all procedure is the same.
G000KA, 5.8.0

Before posting now, I did some more trials. If I wait long enough, eventually the KT3 does respond to pings from my PC. It appears that the KT3 takes more time than compared to PW1 or PW3, to become visible on the network. But an outgoing ping makes it visible quicker! Almost weirdly like, when you're searching for somebody in a crowd.. If they wave at you, you locate them faster..
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
G000KA, 5.8.0

Before posting now, I did some more trials. If I wait long enough, eventually the KT3 does respond to pings from my PC. It appears that the KT3 takes more time than compared to PW1 or PW3, to become visible on the network. But an outgoing ping makes it visible quicker! Almost weirdly like, when you're searching for somebody in a crowd.. If they wave at you, you locate them faster..
That is a problem with the kernel's handling of its arp cache.

What kernel version on each of the devices?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is a problem with the kernel's handling of its arp cache.

What kernel version on each of the devices?
  1. PW1: 2.6.31-rt11-lab126
  2. PW3: 3.0.35-lab126
  3. KT3: 3.10.53-lab126

They seem to be changing the version in every model!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
  1. PW1: 2.6.31-rt11-lab126
  2. PW3: 3.0.35-lab126
  3. KT3: 3.10.53-lab126

They seem to be changing the version in every model!
I no longer follow the kernel mailing list,
But I could check kernel.org repo to see if there where problems with the arp cache 3.0 -> 3.10

3.10.103 is one of the 'long term support' kernel versions, neither of the other two are (now, they where at one time).
Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
A tcpdump on Linux should show what's happening. Without a network trace one can only guess, while arp issues could be indeed the cause for this problem.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote