Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #32086
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK, here's my rant for today. Twice now I've needed to buy an item, so checked around on line for prices and to see if in stock at a local store. I go to the store to get one only to find that the price is 20-30% higher than on-line. I have to actually order from the web site, then wait for the email telling me it's ready for in-store pickup. More work for me, more work for the store employees, and Jeff Bezos must be laughing all the way to the bank...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #32087
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro

Last edited by wodin; 05-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #32088
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Cool! Errr, I mean ... hot stuff!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #32089
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Ugh! I was biking to work this morning in the dedicated bike lane and this little, grey sedan, which was going quite a bit over the speed limit, dove in front on me in the bike lane, then dove back into the street in front of a utility truck. Thankfully, the sedan didn't kill me or cause the utility trick to rear-end it. People are such jerks!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #32090
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[rant]As long as we're ranting and venting, why do I have to pay for bike lanes? After all, they take up valuable traffic lanes and parking places, and I pay exorbitant road and gasoline tax, and bicycles riders pay what? Nothing!

No; the cost of those bike lanes can run into the millions of dollars per mile, and it comes out of what? The general fund that's what, paid for by my property and sales tax.

There's one right in front of the clinic I use in Honolulu, and every time I leave the clinic in my car (which I pay $400+ per year in fees to use the streets and highways), I have to cross it. I look both ways and only rarely do I even see a bicycle in it. And when I do it has the right of way.[/rant]
Old 05-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #32091
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
[rant]As long as we're ranting and venting, why do I have to pay for bike lanes? After all, they take up valuable traffic lanes and parking places, and I pay exorbitant road and gasoline tax, and bicycles riders pay what? Nothing!

No; the cost of those bike lanes can run into the millions of dollars per mile, and it comes out of what? The general fund that's what, paid for by my property and sales tax.

There's one right in front of the clinic I use in Honolulu, and every time I leave the clinic in my car (which I pay $400+ per year in fees to use the streets and highways), I have to cross it. I look both ways and only rarely do I even see a bicycle in it. And when I do it has the right of way.[/rant]
I was just reading that Seattle is spending $12M per mile on bike lanes. Somebody must be getting rich...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #32092
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I was just reading that Seattle is spending $12M per mile on bike lanes. Somebody must be getting rich...
Maybe they thought that they were going to get it from Amazon????? ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #32093
wodin
Illiterate

The Jeff's got better business sense than that.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #32094
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
[ . . . ] I look both ways and only rarely do I even see a bicycle in it . . .
That's probably because they're on the footpath (sidewalk) bowling over the pedestrians, along with their skateboard and scooter riding buddies. Within the past year I have had several near collisions with several of them whilst walking, including one scooter with an electric, hence almost noiseless, motor.

I'm sure our laws that dictate compulsory wearing of helmets encourages reckless behaviour in some riders.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #32095
wodin
Illiterate

Lime dropped off a couple of hundred scooters in Honolulu a couple of weeks ago, and the Mayor went ballistic and ordered the police to confiscate them. Last I heard they'd picked up about ninety of them.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #32096
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Wow, what are they made of? Solid gold? I mean, we have a lot of bike lanes here, but they are not that expensive.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #32097
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Wow, what are they made of? Solid gold? I mean, we have a lot of bike lanes here, but they are not that expensive.
Naw, they're just using union labor.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #32098
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Let's see. . . Have to pay for the land under the road. Then there is the cost of building the road. You don't build a heavy traffic road for peanuts. (Bicycles don't require fully bedded roadways? They weren't built for bicycles, remember!) Then there is signage, traffic signals, and bridges every so often (Can't make those out of balsa and Saran Wrap). Then there is weather related repairs.

Let's not forget the traffic wear. (Bicycles don't wear out the roads? So what? You have just constricted the heavier traffic to less lanes wearing those lanes out faster.)

How much do those bicycle users pay? A big fat zero. Shucks, they don't even have to be licensed, unlike car or motorcycle drivers. (At least in the US. YMMV.)

(OMG, I left off all those lane stripes. Somebody had to do them. . . )

Or maybe it isn't expensive because they got stolen from the people who pay for them, by people who think it's all right to grab whatever they think is good?

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-23-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #32099
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Enough. Take the bike lane diatribes to P&R.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #32100
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Enough. Take the bike lane diatribes to P&R.
I'm sorry, Issy. I didn't mean to start this, that's for sure. I just wanted to vent about a bad driver. I'm so sorry.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness