Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Why DRM is a lie

TeleRead is commenting on article from the Register. Apparently, the author of that article "has a beautifully concise explanation of why DRM would fail in a free market: it costs more, but delivers less."

I'm not ready to jump on the DRM is evil bandwagon quite yet, but I think it has been used so heavy-handedly, and so intrusively, and even so deceptively (such as for content people think is theirs, but turns out to be non-permanent) that it's a real problem. It's holding back a lot of revenue streams for content providers as well as technological advancement of digital content in all forms. Including mobile technology, of course.

I'd be happy to launch my own full-scale rant about DRM, but apparently that article has plenty.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
I'm not ready to jump on the DRM is evil bandwagon quite yet,

Why not? It will prevent you from reading the book you have bought unless you buy hardware supported by the company that added DRM to the book. If they sold you the book for, say, $1 it would be a different matter. But at the prices we pay for ebooks, DRM is evil.

Jorgen
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen
If they sold you the book for, say, $1 it would be a different matter. But at the prices we pay for ebooks, DRM is evil.
I never got into e-books exactly because of the ridiculous prices. Half the price + DRM would be reasonable. I don't care about permanent ownership, because I never read a book more than once.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The big problem with most DRM schemes I've seen is their draconian implementation. Tying the content to a specific piece of machinery is a bad idea. Tying the content to only one piece of software is a bad idea. (Gemstar?)

After all, the machine didn't buy the content, and neither did the software. A human being bought the content.

Scott McNealy once talked about the undisclosed cost of a system purchase: the cost of getting out. I can get my iTunes purchases out of the iTunes/iPod ecosystem simply by burning a CD of my purchase. Palm's eReader has the best DRM system in terms of tying to the person and not hardware, but I do not yet know of a good exit strategy to get Palm Reader content out of the Palm system should the day come that Motrocity shuts down.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
Scott McNealy once talked about the undisclosed cost of a system purchase: the cost of getting out. I can get my iTunes purchases out of the iTunes/iPod ecosystem simply by burning a CD of my purchase. Palm's eReader has the best DRM system in terms of tying to the person and not hardware, but I do not yet know of a good exit strategy to get Palm Reader content out of the Palm system should the day come that Motrocity shuts down.
Very good point. Unfortunately, the bias will always be towards lock-in. Vendors always prefer to be able to charge for the same things over and over, or at least make it hard for you to switch to another vendor. That's a bias that will always be there.

The good news is that overwhelming customer opinion (when they vote with their dollars), and with the help of lawmakers, plus some good open alternatives might save the day. It's a longshot, but we'll see. Especially after the first big waves of mainstream users runs into problems keeping their content when they go to other devices.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote