Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Gutenberg CD/DVD

I know most if not all folks are aware of Gutenberg.org by now but did you know they have packaged content that you can burn to a CD or DVD?

Check out The CD and DVD project for more.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I knew but it is a great way to get a ton of books quickly
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

It is a lot of books in a hurry Over 17,500 in one disk.

Cool things to do with the disks,

Give a copy to someone unable to connect to the internet and yet able to use a laptop. Say someone in hospital.

Give a copy to someone going overseas that will have access to a PC. Since the books are in HTML, nearly any PC in the world can be used.

Give a copy to someone that has just bought a new ebook reader, that's today's task for me. A forum member is giving a EBW1150 to his young daughter for her birthday and I support getting kids to read.

Michael
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Cool find.

But it looks like the CDs haven't been updated since 2007, and Gutenberg has over 30k ebooks now. You can also download the entire Gutenberg website for offline viewing here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Feeds

This is updated weekly, so it might be a better choice to distribute on a CD.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
250 Coupe
Groupie

Unfortunately, that feed is for the site without the ebooks themselves.

There was a service that let you create a .iso with books of your choice but that seems to be down right now.

Michael
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Unfortunately, that feed is for the site without the ebooks themselves.

Michael
I just noticed that! Not too many people would want an offline version of their website without the ebooks themselves, so I guess it's probably to prevent crawlers from roboting their live website.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
The CDs and DVDs don't have the epub's as a result
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
There was a service that let you create a .iso with books of your choice but that seems to be down right now.

Michael
My freeware GuteBook program will grab any current Gutenberg offering and will "attempt" to automatically create for you an ebook of your desired format(s) just by specifying it's E-Text No. The current E-Text No.'s are in the 30K range and the newest ones are listed here.

See my signature for a link to the GuteBook thread here at Mobileread.com (shameless plug! )
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I found one on Amazon called "Books to Go" 200 books on a disk. Mostly classics, but there were some on there i didn't have. Didn't cost much either. Then I saw another advertised on WorldLibrary.net called, collegereader I think. They seemed to be the same thing, but neither had 17,000 books on them.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote