Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
eReader.com is getting aggresive with pricing

I've looked over at eReader.com recently and noticed their banner

New Prices:
New Titles $9.95
No eBook over $12.95
New York Best Sellers: $9.95
15% rewards on every book purchase.

With the 15% eReader.com AND the 12.95 cap eReader.com is now the cheapest place to buy eBooks. Some books are discounted up to 50% due to the price cap.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I haven't tracked it, but my gut level impression is that their prices had actually gone up quite a bit since Fictionwise acquired them, although it was disguised by the somewhat complicated calculations involved in all the "rewards" and "specials". Hopefully this represents a reversal of the trend!

Last edited by wayrad; 06-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have not bought from them before, but I have bought secure ereader from Fictionwise. Can I assume this is the same thing and these books will just download into my iPod Touch, business as usual? Also, can they be 'liberated' in the same fashion to which I have become accustomed? (in other words, are these the same kind of file I would get at Fictionwise or is there a difference?)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fictionwise owns eReader. So yes, the eReader you get at Fictionwise are the same as you get at eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too bad it wasn't Fictionwise.com doing this instead of eReader.com.
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never have understood why they have two separate sites. Can anyone explain that?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I haven't tracked it, but my gut level impression is that their prices had actually gone up quite a bit since Fictionwise acquired them, although it was disguised by the somewhat complicated calculations involved in all the "rewards" and "specials". Hopefully this represents a reversal of the trend!
It's hard to blame eReader.com for this. I'd be more inclined to think this is the publishers fault esp when eReader has had similar prices to other eBook stores.

I'm just not too crazy about the eReader format it does not have good support for tables and images.

Quote:
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I never have understood why they have two separate sites. Can anyone explain that?
They are different business units, having different stores allows them to run different promotions. Also eReader was acquired so in order to not alienate the existing client it's typical for business to maintain the old store front. I don't see Fictionwise going away now that Barnes and Noble goes away.

=X=
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are purchasing eBooks with images over than the cover, eReader is the last choice I would make. Well, PDF is actually. But that's another can of worms.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
If you are purchasing eBooks with images over than the cover, eReader is the last choice I would make. Well, PDF is actually. But that's another can of worms.
Yes most of the books I buy have charts, graphs, and tables. And they don't look very good on the reader.

I was reading "The Coming Economic Collapse" where a table was displayed. Other formats show this as a table but eReader showed it as an image. The worst part was I could not read the image it was too small.

Other books on eReader worked out great. I bought my daughter a Ramona book and the pictures where fine. There is a difference between looking at an image and trying to read text.

=X=
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Well, I just did a quick search for Updike, and most (of the few available) titles on eReader.com are $12.95, while they are $9.99 on Amazon.

Unfortunately, both have meager selection (Amazon's is a little better), and neither has the Rabbit series (which is available in PDF format from www.diesel-ebooks.com, where Rabbit, Run goes for $7.87 - I will buy it and try on the Kindle DX.)

Similarly, on eReader.com, Vonnegut's titles go for $8.99, while on Amazon they are $7.19, and on diesel-ebooks.com $7.44 (mobi) and $7.87 for PDF.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is an additional 15% "reward" if you sign up for their newsletter, which means that $12.95 is effectively $11.00 (and $8.99 is $7.64). I agree, though, that this site is unlikely to have the best price for back list titles.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

I think it depends here is a counter example

Fictionwise $28/$23.80
Amazon $15.40
BoB $25.31/$22.65
eReader $12.95/$11

eReader.com is clearly the cheaper book.

On aside this book has Minority Report/Total Recal/Paycheck,etc... Each one of these books is selling for $9 individually.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-01-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Corrected price
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/clay...e-book-pricing

Barnes & Noble Follows the Leader (Amazon) With $9.95 E-book Pricing
BY Clay DillowWed Jul 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM

When Barnes & Noble scooped up e-book seller Fictionwise.com--owner of eReader.com and eBookwise.com--back in March, the company said the purchase was part of an overall digital strategy that would culminate with the launch of its own e-book seller later this year. While B&N didn't elaborate further on its digital strategy, part of it came to light this week when eReader changed its pricing to match the price of books for Amazon's Kindle e-reader.

Previously, there was no standing pricing for the books in the eReader store; the prices were as variable as those at a brick-and-mortar retailer. Now, all new e-books sold on the site will be $9.95 or less (and no book will be more than $12.95). Amazon already offers its e-books, old and new, bestseller or obscure, at a single $9.99 price point, making them cheaper than the average hardcover at a bookstore.

As Fast Company contributing writer Adam L. Penenberg wrote in this month's cover story, Amazon is redefining the cost of a book in readers' minds, forcing other e-book sellers to follow suit and in turn forcing publishers to play ball. Publishers are still trying to get as money much as they can from e-book sales, and Amazon loses money on many of its $9.99 titles (paying publishers as much as $12 or $13 for some titles). B&N's new pricing indicates that Amazon is dictating to everyone else what an e-book should cost, much the way Apple defined the price point for digital music.

A behemoth like B&N can afford to jump into the game of losing money now to make money later, but smaller start-ups will have a hard time undercutting Amazon's pricing by cutting deals with publishers. Thus, B&N's concession to Amazon's pricing structure could mark the beginning of a brave new world in e-books, one ruled by the dictates of Amazon. Once readers have it in their heads that an e-book is worth ten bucks and no more, everyone from publishers to writers to competitors like B&N are going to have to bend to that price. It would seem that paradigm shift is already underway.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
eReader site only supports eReader. Fictionwise has lots of different sites, eBookwise is one of their sites that only supports eBookwise. It is a convenience to those customers and eReader was purchased and the site maintained. Why muck with something that is making money, I guess.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Why muck with something that is making money, I guess.
Except that it SERIOUSLY confuses potential customers. Let me get this right...I can only by eReader books at the eReader.com website owned by FictionWise, but at the FictionWise.com website I can buy eReader and other formats. Right?

Do my FictionWise dollars in my account work on the eReader.com webstore?
Why wouldn't they create a superstore and then you can select eReader, eBookwise, Mobi, or whatever format you want to filter everything but that? One e-commerce engine and one set of books HAS to be cheaper and more efficient. Somebody is paying for that extra overhead and it's the customers and each of their various webstores.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote