Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #211
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then you probably shouldn't even be trying to use it at all. It's not a walk in the park. If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily brick your device.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #212
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Well, I have some experience in Linux (Slackware, Debian, Fedora and CentOS ..etc)

I used your Jailbraik: kindle-2.5-jailbreak-0.1.N.zip
Then I installed usbNetwork hack from: kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip

I tried these blog posts also:
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/tethering-your-kindle.html
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...tethering.html
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...ng-part-2.html

But always I got time out when I ping to 192.168.2.2
Code:
Pinging 192.168.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Can you explain what I must do and I didn't ?
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #213
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a Windows ping output. No idea how Windows handles ethernet over USB, sorry.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #214
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

So, I need Mac to do that ?
I have Mac-mini but I don't work on it now, and most computers near me are PCs, therefore I need the way for PC not only Mac.

Thank you.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #215
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, it should work on Windows too. I just don't know how .
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #216
meem

I think there is something wrong in "kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N" edition, or maybe not compatible with ver 2.5.4. I'll try other edition.
Or maybe Amazon disabled this feature on this version.

Last edited by meem; 08-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #217
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Working fine on a k2i 2.5.6.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #218
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Working fine on a k2i 2.5.6.
Don't forget to add: "with Mac" :)
Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #219
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Linux, actually.

But the kernel module hasn't been touched by the 2.5.4 update, and we know it worked on Windows before, so there's no reason it shouldn't work on Windows now.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #220
meem

It worked now!

1- I typed ;debugOn then `usbNetwork in search box of my Kindle DX.
2- I plugged USB cable with my device, then new hardware has been found ..
3- it will become a new network adapter called: Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget, and here is the Windows XP driver for it: linux.inf.
4- I set IP address for it: 192.168.2.1
5- connected to Kindle by the following command: putty 192.168.2.2
6- Login with root user without a password.
(you can use normal telnet command)
7- I used this command: /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnet-enable to set the DNS settings as in this tutorial:

You can see the screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	2381
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	56274  

Last edited by meem; 08-06-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #221
ukhant
ukhant began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
It worked now!

1- I typed ;debugOn then `usbNetwork in search box of my Kindle DX.
2- I plugged USB cable with my device, then new hardware has been found ..
3- it will become a new network adapter called: Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget, and here is the Windows XP driver for it: linux.inf.
4- I set IP address for it: 192.168.2.1
5- connected to Kindle by the following command: putty 192.168.2.2
6- Login with root user without a password.
(you can use normal telnet command)
7- I used this command: /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnet-enable to set the DNS settings as in this tutorial:

You can see the screenshot:
Meem, Can you please add the steps you followed before 1,2,3 ( which file you used with attachments) etc, i know they exist, but would be immensley useful if you post them in a single post. I am pretty much following what you did, have a KDX US. The jailbreak installs fine, thats the only step i do before your step 1. When i plug it into PC after step 1, the PC just sees kindle as a storage device as opposed to a NIC/new hardware, using windows XP. Need to do this to sort out my kindle time after firmware upgrade. also were you upgrading KDX US ?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #222
meem

You can update your Kindle manually and offline through the official update page:
http://amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...324680&#manual

Here is the software update v2.5.4 for Kindle DX US:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_dx_2.5.4.bin

The steps what I did to make usbNetwok working:

1- I installed: kindle-2.5-jailbreak-0.1.N.zip

2- Then I installed: kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip

3- I copied whole "usbnet" folder from previous archive to my Kindle root directory.

By the way .. I just have a Telnet and SSH connection, but wireless feature has not disabled, and I didn't got the intenet connection in Kindle from my computer networking !
Is there a solution for that ?

Last edited by meem; 08-18-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #223
NiLuJe
BLAM!

(BTW, No need to do 3.) [ie. manually copy the usbnet dir] anymore, the update install will do it itself (like previous usbnet hacks)).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #224
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(BTW, No need to do 3.) [ie. manually copy the usbnet dir] anymore, the update install will do it itself (like previous usbnet hacks)).
Well, maybe. but not with my too many attempts.
Why I go to copy a folder when it existed ?!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #225
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Keyword being *anymore*. I 'fixed' it 2 or 3 days ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network