Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
levi
levi began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook TouchHD
Question Cannot connect to e-reader via SSH

KOReader version: v2023.10
Device: PocketBook TouchHD (PB631)

I followed the Connect to the e-reader via SSH guide to establish an SSH connection between my laptop and my e-reader. First, I enabled login without password in KOReader, but I was still prompted to enter a password. I tried to input an empty string by pressing enter, but it was rejected.

Then, I followed the steps for key authentication, and put both an RSA and ed25519 key in the
Code:
/applications/koreader/settings/SSH/authorized_keys
file of KOReader. I'm sure these are correct.

I attached the verbose output of the command I ran to try to get in with my RSA key:
Code:
ssh -v -p 2222 -i ~/.ssh/id_touchhd 192.168.0.236
. You can see see
Code:
debug1: send_pubkey_test: no mutual signature algorithm
on the bottom that makes me think that RSA is not supported by the SSH server that KOReader is using? Sounds unlikely. Anyway, I tried with ed25519 too:
Code:
ssh -v -p 2222 -i id_ed25519_touchhd 192.168.0.236
I don't get the same error here, though I'm still prompted to enter a password.

I did some research, but it seems like I'm the only one with this problem.

Am I missing something? Could this be a device problem? Thanks for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ssh_rsa_verbose.txt (3.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: txt ssh_ed25519_verbose.txt (3.1 KB, 30 views)
levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:44 AM   #2
Kicweed
Kicweed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Different device and different KOReader version but I've been having SSH problems lately as well:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/11537

Nice idea using -v with ssh, I'll try it too and see if something useful pops up.
Kicweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 03:27 PM   #3
bitfreak
Enthusiast
bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
Some facts:

The dropbear that comes with KOReader is quite old: Dropbear server v2018.76 with custom patches applied.
  • The default port is 2222 not 22 because not all users have root access to their device so they are unable to open any ports under 1000 IIRC.
  • Hack option "-n" to disable password checking, probably a similar reason, users might not have a password.
  • Keys are made to work with a relative path, for DSA,RSA,ECDSA, but NOT ed25519 because its not implemented.
    • dss settings/SSH/dropbear_dss_host_key
    • rsa settings/SSH/dropbear_rsa_host_key
    • ecdsa settings/SSH/dropbear_ecdsa_host_key
  • SSH should be 700 and authorized_keys should be 600 on regular Linux, I don't know if any patches are applied to tackle these prerequisites.
  • KEYS should be 600.

If someone can point me to the applied patches, I might be able to compile the latest version v2022.83 with some additional security patches.

Last edited by bitfreak; 03-30-2024 at 04:05 PM.
bitfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:40 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The sources: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...party/dropbear

The SSH plugin is considered dead: no longer supported and not recommended. We encourage users to find a better solution for their platform.

It was provided as a last resort option, always better than plain telnet. It is kept to avoid breaking workflows
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:26 PM   #5
bitfreak
Enthusiast
bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.bitfreak can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
I compiled the latest version, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=360131

Last edited by bitfreak; 04-02-2024 at 02:24 AM.
bitfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
koreader, pocketbook, ssh, touchhd