Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-05-2024, 07:22 AM   #1
Maimun Ahmed
Mr. Developer
Maimun Ahmed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Exclamation KOReader: Please Help Me Find The Code Associated With This Wonderful Animation

Hi wonderful guys over mobileread, I recently started tinkering the source code of KOReader on my machine and I came accross this beautiful loading animation (I really like the animation of the three dots at the bottom of the screen.)

Is anyone aware which script of KOReader's source code is triggering this. I captured that animation while running KOReader on android. The gif is attached below:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenrecorder-2024-03-02-08-53-47-5170-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
Views:	88
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	206716
Maimun Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
That's a standard android dialog without a frame.

It is in https://github.com/koreader/android-...s.kt#L160-L187

Used while uncompressing APK assets in device's storage. You should see the dots animation once per version.

You can't repurpose the dialog for anything non-android.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 09:54 PM   #3
Maimun Ahmed
Mr. Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That's a standard android dialog without a frame.

It is in https://github.com/koreader/android-...s.kt#L160-L187

Used while uncompressing APK assets in device's storage. You should see the dots animation once per version.

You can't repurpose the dialog for anything non-android.
Thank you pazos for the answer. The code seems to be a kotlin script. I just wished to create a similar animation using lua that can be embedded in KOReader's source code (like the standard progress bar in frontend/ui/widget.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:23 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maimun Ahmed View Post
Thank you pazos for the answer. The code seems to be a kotlin script. I just wished to create a similar animation using lua that can be embedded in KOReader's source code (like the standard progress bar in frontend/ui/widget.
Hi, if this is something you want for yourself, even without a real purpose, I think you can build something quickly using the emulator. We ship a widget test utility in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/wbuilder.lua, so you can play with your widget without launching a full blown KOReader instance.

If you want to build something that does some background job while displaying the animation that's harder.

A lua state/vm is mostly single threaded. The best you can do is some sort of cooperative multitasking, in the form of lua coroutines
Old 03-12-2024, 12:00 AM   #5
Maimun Ahmed
Mr. Developer

Quote:
Hi, if this is something you want for yourself, even without a real purpose, I think you can build something quickly using the emulator. We ship a widget test utility in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/wbuilder.lua, so you can play with your widget without launching a full blown KOReader instance.

If you want to build something that does some background job while displaying the animation that's harder.

A lua state/vm is mostly single threaded. The best you can do is some sort of cooperative multitasking, in the form of lua coroutines
Maybe I am wrong but then, how is the read timer counting down in the background while we continue to use the ui.
Advert
Old 03-12-2024, 09:00 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maimun Ahmed View Post
Maybe I am wrong but then, how is the read timer counting down in the background while we continue to use the ui.
Yes, you're totally wrong here.

You're confusing the hability to schedule tasks to run in the future with multithreading. They are not the same.

Any tasks scheduled with any of the UIManager facilities (see doc in https://koreader.rocks/doc/modules/ui.uimanager.html) will be executed sequentially on the UIThread, so if one of such tasks takes hours to complete the UI will be blocked for that time too.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:19 AM   #7
Maimun Ahmed
Mr. Developer

Quote:
Yes, you're totally wrong here.

You're confusing the hability to schedule tasks to run in the future with multithreading. They are not the same.

Any tasks scheduled with any of the UIManager facilities (see doc in https://koreader.rocks/doc/modules/ui.uimanager.html) will be executed sequentially on the UIThread, so if one of such tasks takes hours to complete the UI will be blocked for that time too.
Thanks for correcting me. I didn't go deep through the docs at first. But after reading through it, I was able to understand everything very clearly. Thanks for your time and attaching the link to docs.

Tags
developer, ereader, koreader, source code