Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-29-2022, 05:29 AM   #16
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm looking around the Stark Library, and it looks like they are using bibliocommons.com rather than Overdrive.

I don't usually use libraries, so I could be wrong about this--maybe bibliocommons is actually tied to Overdrive, somehow? If it's not, though, it may be worth mentioning for those who have a Kobo reader and were hoping to access books borrowed from there on their Kobos without downloading and loading through ADE.

Shari

This is incorrect. Stark’s eCard gets you access to The Ohio Digital Library. That library uses Overdrive. I’ve had Stark eCard since 7/19. I chose it specifically because it has Overdrive access with a large catalog since I have Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stark.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	195394  

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-29-2022 at 06:08 AM. Reason: oversized image
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Ohio's Stark Library is switching from Overdrive to the Libby app in 2023. I find this library to be awesome when I've compared it to others. 20 loans, 30 Holds, 21 day loans, and 152,258 Kindle format books.

No idea what bibliocommons is.
Libby is an Overdrive app. It handles ePub and audiobooks. Stark is not switching from Overdrive to Libby. What they are doing is switching from the Overdrive app to Libby. I'm guessing that the Overdrive app may no longer work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
While the emphasis of this thread is to discuss non-resident library cards, feel free to discuss anything related to libraries in general, such as borrowing strategies and downloading issues.

Before getting a non-res card, check to see if your library has reciprocal borrowing agreements with neighboring libraries. These agreements allow you to get free cards form other libraries and they might have better collections than your library.
What reciprocal borrowing means is that you can use your library card from library system A with library system B and visa-versa.

For example, I can use my BPL (Boston) card with CW Mars. I do not get a CW Mars card.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #19
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
You can easily add Stark library to your Libby by just finding the library, signing in with your barcode and pin, and voila! (Note: you must do this after you have paid the $30 fee)

As for adding the library to your Kobo, I did the following:
  1. Go to Overdrive.com and add Stark Library as one of your libraries in your overdrive account
  2. Go into your Kobo and sign out of your overdrive account
  3. Click the “login with overdrive account “ button. Select Stark Library as the library you want to login with, then use your overdrive credentials
  4. After attempting to login with overdrive credentials, the Ohio Library login screen forced me to use my library card and pin. This seems to link your overdrive account to the library card. Then the screen jumps back and asks if I want to login with either a library card or overdrive account.
  5. Login with your Overdrive credentials again to the Stark Library. Now you have access to your books and any other libraries you linked previously

I tried to circumvent this and login with my Overdrive credentials on https://ohdbks.overdrive.com/ohdbks-starkcounty/content but it would not let me. This is the only way I figured to do it.

Note that I did this on one Kobo and then my other Kobo had access to the Stark library as well after sync!
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:50 AM   #20
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Libby is an Overdrive app. It handles ePub and audiobooks. Stark is not switching from Overdrive to Libby. What they are doing is switching from the Overdrive app to Libby. I'm guessing that the Overdrive app may no longer work.
Quote:
To help your library welcome more users to Libby, the legacy OverDrive app is being discontinued in early 2023.

This change will simplify how you promote your digital collection, train your staff, support your users, and promote the best reading experience for everyone, Libby.

As a first step, the OverDrive app was removed from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store on February 23, 2022.

As a next step, starting in July 2022, OverDrive app users will be actively encouraged to switch to Libby.

OverDrive app users will see a message in the app prompting them to make the switch with a link to a resource page about the transition to Libby.

Later this year, this in-app message will be updated to remind your users about this change.

link
Quote:
As of February 23, 2022, the OverDrive app is only available in the Amazon Appstore for Fire tablets and on other devices in select countries.

link
ETA:

The other week my daughter said she'd recommended the OverDrive app to a friend who said she couldn't find it. I didn't think anything of the comment until I opened my app yesterday to add two more MD counties in my OverDrive app and saw a pop up message that the OverDrive app would be going away.

Maryland's digital content has evolved since I first begun to use it. Once upon a time the digital content for all counties was all under the "Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium", then it seems various counties broke off from that so that the electronic media they were acquiring was more specific to what the county's patrons were requesting.

Hoopla has no ebooks in my county, but another county has a decent supply of audiobooks and ebooks in Hoopla. I added a library card to that county a while ago, just for Hoopla. Yesterday I added that county to my OverDrive app, and two more counties. I'm preparing for the demise of my Brooklyn access. LOL

One of these days I'll download the Libby app.

Last edited by copyrite; 07-29-2022 at 07:23 AM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
from here
What that says is that the Overdrive app will be replaced with the Libby app. Overdrive is not being done away with.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
What reciprocal borrowing means is that you can use your library card from library system A with library system B and visa-versa.

For example, I can use my BPL (Boston) card with CW Mars. I do not get a CW Mars card.
Can you use your Boston card to check out physical books from a CW Mars member library?

Reciprocal borrowing also means an agreement between two library systems that allows patrons of one library to get a card from the other library and vice versa. Without that card, you can't check out books from the other library.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Can you use your Boston card to check out physical books from a CW Mars member library?

Reciprocal borrowing also means an agreement between two library systems that allows patrons of one library to get a card from the other library and vice versa. Without that card, you can't check out books from the other library.
I don't know if I can do physical borrowing or not. I just use it for Overdrive.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #24
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What that says is that the Overdrive app will be replaced with the Libby app. Overdrive is not being done away with.
I updated my post and link. Multiple edits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OD_legacy.png
Views:	187
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	195400  

Last edited by copyrite; 07-29-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recent News Articles

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-29-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

What’s New With Public Library Ebook Vendors -- 01 Feb 2022

Quote:
Library ebook vendors sign contracts with publishers to get books delivered to their platforms and then sell their licenses to public libraries at the prices the publishers set. The pandemic has accelerated patron use of ebooks, which has brought the fight for fair prices back into the spotlight.

While public libraries and publishers are hashing out what ebooks should cost, the vendors have been working to provide public libraries and their patrons with the best user experience possible (and make a profit themselves, of course—with the notable exception of The Palace Project). Let’s take a look at what’s new with some of the major library ebook vendors.

more...
Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
One of these days I'll download the Libby app.
I do use Libby on my iPhone to listen to audiobooks from Overdrive.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
You're welcome.

I was supposed to be in Seattle all this week for work and my family was going to come with me to avoid the heat. Unfortunately it fell through at the last minute on Monday. We have had temperatures in the low 100s and upper 90s all week down here in Portland. YUCK! It's supposed to be this way through Sunday.
We call that summer here in South Georgia. It has been cooler most of this summer. We have been getting afternoon showers almost every day and that keeps the highs in the low 90s. Our summers last from May through September or October.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:20 AM   #29
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
I do use Libby on my iPhone to listen to audiobooks from Overdrive.
I installed the Hoopla app a while back to listen to audiobooks and eBooks not available / long wait times on OverDrive from one of the few Maryland counties that offers ebooks and audiobooks. Most of the MD libraries that offer Hoopla only seem to have music and video content (which I'm not interested in).

The Library Extension for Chrome is very helpful with availability and guestimates when titles are available. As you can see, there's no wait time for Hoopla. Only drawback is having to read / listen through the app, and not on my Kindle. I need to update the app with a couple more MD libraries where I have OverDrive access since content is not the same across the state.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Library Extension.png
Views:	184
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	195401  
Old 07-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I did use the library extension for Firefox. But I fount it really annoying because it kept being there even when I didn't want it.