Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
JP91306
Connoisseur
JP91306 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Calibre Companion Demanding Apple ID

Calibre Companion, running on an iPad has started demanding an Apple ID.

Have you changed "Companion" ?

Is Companion even your application ?

Can you explain what is happening ?

Thank you,

jp
JP91306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Who are these questions aimed at?
Did you read some of the most recent posts? Fiasco is the word of the week
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
JP91306
Connoisseur
JP91306 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I am sorry to be so dense...but the only reply I got referred me to this part of the forum, and said to post here. I still don't know why my APPLE ID is being requested to use Calibre Companion.
If this is NOT the right place to learn the reason, I beg your patience to explain to me.
I make a donation for every update to Calibre, but I do not have a "subscription". Is a subscription required ?

Thank you,

jp
JP91306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP91306 View Post
I am sorry to be so dense...but the only reply I got referred me to this part of the forum, and said to post here. I still don't know why my APPLE ID is being requested to use Calibre Companion.
If this is NOT the right place to learn the reason, I beg your patience to explain to me.
I make a donation for every update to Calibre, but I do not have a "subscription". Is a subscription required ?

Thank you,

jp
for calibre COMPANION - yes, a subscription is now required. read the stickies at the top of the forum where it is fully explained, or read the T& C on the app store page, if reading stickies is not your thing.

calibre itself remains free, with optional donations.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Hey,

It is standard for the CC app to ask for your App Store apple id, this is how we verify if you have subscribed or not.

The recent update requires a re-login to your app store id.

Thanks,
Ale
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

The apple id login is how CC understands if you have a subscription or not.

You can still use CC as a free version.

The most recent update requires on the first launch to sign in to your app store id (apple id).
Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
But I’m having to login to Apple every time I use the app - not just on the first launch. Os that what other people are experiencing?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
But I’m having to login to Apple every time I use the app - not just on the first launch. Os that what other people are experiencing?
I'm not having the same trouble. I updated the CC app on my iPad Pro and was prompted for my Apple ID the first launch after updating. I've closed the app, force closed the app, and restarted it with no trouble and no Apple ID log in needed.

It seems to be working fine for me, and I'm using the "skip" option and have not subscribed.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
we seen to be seeing several cases where CC users who don't hang out here / closely follow developments are suddenly getting a unexpected CC app update, and having to go search for what's changed.
its happening with all 3 app app stores= google. amazon, apple.
i guess that's a consequence of the decision to overwrite the lifetime model in store with the new subscriptions model, and not having a customer address list to forewarn owners that the app is in new hands, and has a new charging model

could be a 2nd wave of backlash: no-one told me/ I did not want this/ask for this ...

with hindsight, leaving the old app as abandon ware, or de-listing it, and adding the new app as a new store option may have been better. Users would have had to opt-into the new service and could not have landed there accidentally.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've merged two identically starting threads and deleted redundant posts.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
we seen to be seeing several cases where CC users who don't hang out here / closely follow developments are suddenly getting a unexpected CC app update, and having to go search for what's changed.
its happening with all 3 app app stores= google. amazon, apple.
i guess that's a consequence of the decision to overwrite the lifetime model in store with the new subscriptions model, and not having a customer address list to forewarn owners that the app is in new hands, and has a new charging model

could be a 2nd wave of backlash: no-one told me/ I did not want this/ask for this ...

with hindsight, leaving the old app as abandon ware, or de-listing it, and adding the new app as a new store option may have been better. Users would have had to opt-into the new service and could not have landed there accidentally.
They could have released it as CC 2.0, kind of like you now have Marvin 3.0, just to make it clear this was a new program with new owners and a subscription model, not just an update of the old program. But that's water under the bridge now. I also suspect that part of what they were paying for when they bought the program was the customer base. Part of the reason for going to a subscription model is there is a lot of people out there who take the attitude "I paid you $2 10 years ago, why should I give you more money just to make sure you keep updating it for the new operating systems?"
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Part of the reason for going to a subscription model is there is a lot of people out there who take the attitude "I paid you $2 10 years ago, why should I give you more money just to make sure you keep updating it for the new operating systems?"
I don't think so. The whole reason for buying CC and make it subscription based is profit. Profit is cool but you need to spend resources building something to sell (or lend in this case).

They (if there is more than one people, which I doubt seriously) didn't spent money on development. They purchased the assets and expected - magically - they could make it a profitable business with marketing.

I'm happy. My money (~50€) went to chaley. New "devs" won't get a single dime from me.

Now the program is a big joke. Seriously somebody thinks that signing with Apple Id is the way to verify a purchased receipt?.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I don't think so. The whole reason for buying CC and make it subscription based is profit. Profit is cool but you need to spend resources building something to sell (or lend in this case).

They (if there is more than one people, which I doubt seriously) didn't spent money on development. They purchased the assets and expected - magically - they could make it a profitable business with marketing.

I'm happy. My money (~50€) went to chaley. New "devs" won't get a single dime from me.

Now the program is a big joke. Seriously somebody thinks that signing with Apple Id is the way to verify a purchased receipt?.
Do you want a login page now? Do you want data stored on you?

We keep CC lightweight for reasons of our own.

We are a small team so QA/UAT is tough to cover an extensive app. We don't have the benefit of being the original creators and knowing the codebase like the back of our hand.

Most recent update of iOS should only prompt your sign in once, please send a log to us if this is happening to your more frequently at ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com.

Marketing is a component of growing a business and so is development. Things we are working on will soon differentiate between premium and free.

You're right Chaley is an exceptional developer.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
https://developer.apple.com/document.../verifyreceipt
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post

Sigh. Without profits, there is no development. Charley did the android version, his son ported to iOS.

In the iOS world, subscriptions are tied to your Apple ID. It's part of the apple API. Go to settings on your iOS device, select Apple id (it's the first entry on the list), select subscriptions. All your subscriptions are listed there. CC is there with my Apple Music subscription, Pandora and a number of others for me.

It's fairly obvious that the developers put a lot of effort into the iOS version. The difference between the release last fall and now is huge.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion