Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #31
paul66
paul66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Im not sure which email account you are.

Can you please bump the thread and we can continue conversation there.
Can you please also keep me in the loop as I would like to put more content onto my Kindle. Did you need me to send you an email as well?
paul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #32
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul66 View Post
Can you please also keep me in the loop as I would like to put more content onto my Kindle. Did you need me to send you an email as well?
Yes feel free to.

ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2020, 12:14 AM   #33
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
If anyone is willing to sign up beta testing so we can work faster to resolving the issue, please email:

ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:37 AM   #34
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I own the amazon app store app so I'd be willing to beta test on a Fire HD10.
you have my contact details.
its not bought with the same email as my Google store app though, I have a different system for amazon purchases
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #35
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

we exchanged messages re what happened when I test: 4.4.1.15 from amazon on a tablet that previously had google - no errors
i wonder if the trigger has to be using a device that has never had the google store added. not something I can easily reproduce
otherwise I suspect there is enough info still on the test device to satisfy the google licence check, even after the google app has been removed
i do have one potential test device - its an older fire tablet running the old Fire OS which does not accept the google sideload, so its' virgin territory for a CC from amazon app test. ( its setup for my grandson- ).

let me know if you need/want a new test done with that
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #36
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
we exchanged messages re what happened when I test: 4.4.1.15 from amazon on a tablet that previously had google - no errors
i wonder if the trigger has to be using a device that has never had the google store added. not something I can easily reproduce
otherwise I suspect there is enough info still on the test device to satisfy the google licence check, even after the google app has been removed
i do have one potential test device - its an older fire tablet running the old Fire OS which does not accept the google sideload, so its' virgin territory for a CC from amazon app test. ( its setup for my grandson- ).

let me know if you need/want a new test done with that
I found an old Kindle Fire and charged it up - installed CC and downloaded 1 test book and got the DRM error.

This is on a freshly factory reset Kindle which has never had Google on it.

I never saw the post about testing for them - did this myself to see if I could figure it out.
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #37
stumped
Wizard

Error when returning to use the Amazon app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-10-20-53-15-125.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	180529  
Old 07-11-2020, 01:02 AM   #38
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
I found an old Kindle Fire and charged it up - installed CC and downloaded 1 test book and got the DRM error.

This is on a freshly factory reset Kindle which has never had Google on it.

I never saw the post about testing for them - did this myself to see if I could figure it out.
interesting, that is a test I was thinging of also, so saves me bothering !

i suspect that once a google licence has activated on a tablet, a secure note of that is retained, even if the app is uninstalled, and that's a factor in this troubleshooting

what exactly does the drm error message say and where is it coming from, and exactly when doe it occur
i do wonder if you have to be trying to open a kindle format e.g. mobi, as Fires are know to have " false positives" with amazon's own drm
Old 07-11-2020, 04:14 AM   #39
SASSBS
Connoisseur

the error reads:
"Invalid Item:
This item is protected with DRM and cannot be read on your Fire. Please remove the item from your device and download it again or purchase a copy from the kindle store"
this is when I click Read in CC.
Finding the book manually in Library it opens fine, same book opens fine on a Kindle that has not had the new app installed book used is a simple test file made using Kindle Previewer and has no DRM in it.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:39 AM   #40
stumped
Wizard

that's the same false positive message, i think, as when you download an unprotected .mobi book via silk browser.
Something is setting an incorrect " has DRM" flag. [ there are threads for this in Amazon Fire sub forum]

if its a bug buried deep in amazon's own code, that's bad news for the CC developer

that Invalid Item message text is from Fire OS, it's not coming from the CC app. I recognize the wording as Amazons

have you tested / will you be testing a collection of book formats, to see which ones trigger the error ?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:42 AM   #41
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Tested Every one I can think of it always triggers it ,mobi, azw3, doc etc so its something in the way cc passes the variables to kindle that they broke unfortunately

Edit
Quote:
if its a bug buried deep in amazon's own code, that's bad news for the CC developer
it may be an Amazon bug but it's also a CC bug as the old version works so it's something with the new code also.

Last edited by SASSBS; 07-11-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #42
stumped
Wizard

looking at other amazon discussions e.g.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...s_without_drm/

maybe CC needs to hand off the book file as a document not as a book. the fire handles documents differently and when books are delivered via Send to Kindle, they arrive as documents, and open OK. See the reddit thread discussion
Old 07-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #43
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Maybe or maybe they need to revert the change that broke this functionality that has always worked. To be honest we don't know what the code is like or what changes they made from the working version so we can speculate as much as we like only the new owners know what they did and they are not providing much info at the moment
Old 07-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #44
stumped
Wizard

this is the thread I saw before. Identical invalid item error message on a fire tablet that has never had any version of any CC installed

Received the Fire HD 8 tablet for my birthday for eBooks. But, all I am actually reading on it is:

"Invalid Item: This item is protected with DRM and cannot be read on your Fire. Please remove the item from your device and download it again or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

These are not bought/sold eBook files but those that I have compiled and created myself from scratch

so amazon has a problem with non-drm books in some circumstances ( still unresolved0
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ire+tablet+drm

something in how CC handles some books is triggering that amazon intervention. I agree that a quick roll back is what's needed here, as tracing that may take some time
Old 07-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #45
SASSBS
Connoisseur

@PMrev it's a week since you provided an update any news on a fix/solution?

Tags
amazon, calibre companion, licence