Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #121
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Same size as Clara but maybe lower specs including screen. And heavier, 260g, at same size?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Maybe that 260 g figure is for the packaged Nia, not just for the device alone.
I'm guessing you're right. 260 g for a 6" reader just doesn't make any sense. If it is the Kobo version of the Page 2, it'll weigh about 180 g.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Replaced "way" with "weigh." Good grief. :)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #122
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a site that's showing three sleep covers for the Kobo Nia N306. So they must be about to come out.

https://www.almacen-informatico.com/...&Submit=Buscar

The lower price for the Nia sleepcovers (compared to other Kobo sleepcovers from this company) would seem to indicate a low-end eReader.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #123
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Here's a site that's showing three sleep covers for the Kobo Nia N306. So they must be about to come out.

https://www.almacen-informatico.com/...&Submit=Buscar

The lower price for the Nia sleepcovers (compared to other Kobo sleepcovers from this company) would seem to indicate a low-end eReader.

Which cover do you mean?
I don't see any for the Kobo Nia. They are all for current or discontinued Kobo devices.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #124
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Which cover do you mean?
I don't see any for the Kobo Nia. They are all for current or discontinued Kobo devices.
There's no picture yet, but I'm referring to the covers in the attached image (a screenshot from the link).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	niacovers.png
Views:	273
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	179982  
Old 06-19-2020, 12:27 AM   #125
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

GoodEReader broke another news story about the Kobo Nia. Dang that screen capture looks familiar!

https://goodereader.com/blog/kobo-er...next-few-weeks

Nightflyer and mirage must have been reading the future breaking news from GoodEReader! How did you guys transport into the future?

On June 13th, GoodEReader posted that Kobo was "dumping" Claras and that... "It looks like the company is trying to dump all of the remaining stock, since they have a new model that is coming out soon."

https://goodereader.com/blog/kobo-er...ra-hd-e-reader

Then I wrote a comment at his site (under this blog entry, which was never approved or posted) mentioning why I thought the Kobo Nia was a replacement for the Aura Edition 2 instead of the Clara.

So later today, in the "breaking news," (with my screen grab front and center) GoodEReader prints...

Quote:
It is currently unknown if Kobo will be replacing the Kobo Aura Edition 2, which was recently discontinued, but I believe it will. Kobo will have a 4 SKU strategy going forward, the Nia, Clara HD, Libra and Forma. I also think that Kobo sill make another exclusive Walmart edition of the Nia, since they shuttered the Kobo Aura Walmart version a couple of months ago.
(See link above.)

I believe he still has one thing wrong. The Kobo Nia will probably not ship with 16 GBs, it'll probably be limited to 8 GBs (the Tolino Page 2 has a 16 GB microSD card, but users only get access to 8 GBs of it).

That information comes from this German source (posted on April 20th)...

https://translate.google.com/transla...9/&prev=search

Quote:
Entry-level model completes the Kobo portfolio

Although this is hardly meaningful data, the battery capacity is a clear indication that it is an entry-level device. The Tolino also happens to have a battery of this size.

And even if the official specifications of the Tolino indicate a storage space size of 8 GB, a look under the back cover also shows a 16 GB Sandisk MicroSD memory card, at least for my device. Accordingly, this also fits the information provided by the Kobo Nia..
So, yet another "exclusive source" beckons GoodEReader

And the mention of 4 SKUs... On April 20th you find this in the GoodEReader blog...

Quote:
[The Nia] will either replace the recently discontinued Kobo Aura or the Kobo Clara HD, which came out in early 2018. I do not see Kobo having more than 3 SKUS in their modern portfolio, so I surmise it will look like this. The Kobo Nia, Kobo Libra and Kobo Forma.
Personally I always thought Kobo would eventually match the four Tolino line-up, device for device. But I did think the Page 2 "hardware clone" (Nia, I think) would come out sooner than this. (And I still may be wrong, these are just guesses with very little information to research.)

Nia next Tuesday?

Last edited by rcentros; 06-19-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Advert
Old 06-19-2020, 12:59 AM   #126
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Another:

https://www.almacen-informatico.com/..._5373536_p.htm

...and sleepcover:

https://www.almacen-informatico.com/..._5373539_p.htm

EDIT: Bah, both of the links that I found on my own are in the story linked in the post just before mine... :-/

Last edited by twowheels; 06-19-2020 at 01:06 AM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #127
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There's no picture yet, but I'm referring to the covers in the attached image (a screenshot from the link).

Ok.
I was just confused, because those entries did not show up (and still don't), when I clicked on your link.

I suppose GoodEReader could not find them either and that is why they copied your screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-06-19 Almacen Informatico Resultados de kobo nia.png
Views:	220
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	179994  
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #128
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Ok.
I was just confused, because those entries did not show up (and still don't), when I clicked on your link.

I suppose GoodEReader could not find them either and that is why they copied your screenshot.
That's weird. I went back to the site, took another screenshot where the listings were still there. Then turned off Ublock Origin for that site, reloaded, and they disappeared. Turned Ublock Origin back on again and they remained gone. It must have been in cache?

But the links by twowheels still work for me. (I'm not going to turn off Ublock Origin for those links!)

Anyhow, here are the two new screenshots, showing where the Kobo Nia sleepcovers used to appear in the list and where they don't now (the 2nd image is basically just a more zoomed in version of your screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobonia2.png
Views:	214
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	179999   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobonia3.png
Views:	215
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	180000  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-19-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #129
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geared View Post
Kobo Nia 6"" EPD w/Carta Display 1024x758
https://store.exertis.co.uk/products...u-bk-k-ep.aspx
And now the content in this link has disappeared.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And now the content in this link has disappeared.
When you find a link like that, you HAVE to take a screen grab.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #131
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you find a link like that, you HAVE to take a screen grab.
I didn't find this particular link, but I do wish I had taken a screenshot of it when it was there. The fact that they are taking these down seems to indicate that the release of the Nia is not imminent. (I hope I'm wrong about that.)
Old 06-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #132
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Kobo Nia listed on Staples.ca. $129 Canadian dollars (not yet available).

https://www.staples.ca/products/2982...a-6-inch-black

(It's got the same specs as the Tolino Page 2. I'm pretty sure .26" thick is supposed to be .36" thick.)

Kobo Nia sleepcovers at BestBuy.ca

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=kobo+nia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobo nia.png
Views:	259
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	180033   Click image for larger version

Name:	niasleepcovers.png
Views:	239
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	180034  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:21 AM   #133
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Seems like a Clara HD replacement at that price. So Kobo would go with a three sku line up, Nia as the entry level, Libra as a deluxe, and Forma as the premium.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 AM   #134
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Seems like a Clara HD replacement at that price. So Kobo would go with a three sku line up, Nia as the entry level, Libra as a deluxe, and Forma as the premium.
That's the same price they were selling the Aura Edition 2 for. I'm guessing the U.S. price will be $99. This has a 212ppi screen and no warm light – I'm guessing any Clara replacement will match its current features and will probably be waterproof (water resistant).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:03 AM   #135
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Kobo Nia listed on Staples.ca. $129 Canadian dollars (not yet available).

https://www.staples.ca/products/2982...a-6-inch-black

(It's got the same specs as the Tolino Page 2. I'm pretty sure .26" thick is supposed to be .36" thick.)

Kobo Nia sleepcovers at BestBuy.ca

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=kobo+nia
That's an ugly cover, IMO. I dislike the covers that cover the bezel.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote