Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #91
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the edit metadata dialog to add a format to the book
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #92
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the edit metadata dialog to add a format to the book
Thanks!
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #93
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes - use the "Edit Metadata" option for the existing book entry. That dialog gives you the option to add new ebook files to that entry.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #94
instanthuman
instanthuman began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod touch
hi,

it's been a couple of days since i got calibre. everything is ok except sending the books to my device via the content server; i tried changing the port but it always ends up with an error message saying "port 8080 isn't free on 0.0.0.0" i'm not familiar with ports, what do you think the problem is?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #95
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by instanthuman View Post
hi,

it's been a couple of days since i got calibre. everything is ok except sending the books to my device via the content server; i tried changing the port but it always ends up with an error message saying "port 8080 isn't free on 0.0.0.0" i'm not familiar with ports, what do you think the problem is?
Someone else had this same problem recently. Port 8080 is either not available or blocked on your machine. Try port 8787.

BOb
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #96
instanthuman

nope, it doesn't work. and i also noticed that the "test server" button isn't active.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #97
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

basically that message means something is either using the port calibre is trying to listen on or is blocking calibre from listening on the port (try disabling firewall/antivirus apps) temporarily to see if they are causing the problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #98
instanthuman

ok, first i disabled both the antvirus and windows firewall, and rebooted; didn't work. then enabled them and made an exception to calibre in windows firewall, it still doesn't work. i feel like i'm missing something obvious here. i'll paste the log if it helps:

[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Shutting down due to error in start listener:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "cherrypy\process\wspbus.pyo", line 184, in start
File "cherrypy\process\wspbus.pyo", line 147, in publish
File "cherrypy\_cpserver.pyo", line 90, in start
File "cherrypy\process\servers.pyo", line 53, in start
File "cherrypy\process\servers.pyo", line 251, in wait_for_free_port
IOError: Port 8787 not free on '0.0.0.0'

[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Bus STOPPING
[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE HTTP Server cherrypy._cpwsgi_server.CPWSGIServer(('0.0.0.0', 8787)) already shut down
[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Stopped thread '_TimeoutMonitor'.
[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Bus STOPPED
[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Bus EXITING
[08/Apr/2009:01:13:57] ENGINE Bus EXITED
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE Bus STOPPING
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE HTTP Server cherrypy._cpwsgi_server.CPWSGIServer(('0.0.0.0', 8787)) already shut down
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE No thread running for _TimeoutMonitor.
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE Bus STOPPED
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE Bus EXITING
[08/Apr/2009:01:16:19] ENGINE Bus EXITED
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #99
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not really all that log says is that calibre is unable to listen on port 8787, unfortunately, I'm no windows networking guru, so I don't really know how to query the system to figure out what is causing the block
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #100
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
netstat -a -b
shows all ports and processes which opened them.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #101
instanthuman

i guess there's something wrong with my computer which needs formatting. sorry for taking up your time and thank you all for your advices and help.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #102
pubolab
pubolab began at the beginning.

Device: CASIO pocket viewer S1600, Sony PRS-505 and Cybook Gen 3
Encountered error message when view the fetched news feed:

"(10061, 'No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it')"

This is shown for all news feed, including the built-in ones.

The downloading process itself does not show any error message. But all the file sizes are 0. When trying to view it, saw this message in the file.

I am behind a proxy, guess that could be the reason.

Any idea how to fix this?

BTW, I was able to retrieve news feed successfully with the mobipocket reader, on the same machine.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #103
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

try setting the HTTP_PROXY environment variable to the settings for your proxy

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-15-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #104
pubolab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
try setting the HTPP_PROXY environment variable to the settings for your proxy
Cool, it works perfectly after setting the variable.

Great work kovid!

PS. the variable is HTTP_PROXY, in form of domain_name:port_number
Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #105
pubolab

Have some problem of reading Chinese news feed.

I have applied the unicode font hack as mentioned in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644

I am reading a news feed from a Chinese news paper

http://realtime.zaobao.com/news.xml

When I choose the LRF as output format, I am able to view the Chinese characters correctly on PRS-505. Only thing is that the titles and links font size is too big. (Same behavior when viewed with calibre internal viewer)

When I choose the EPUB as output format, the calibre internal viewer can view it correctly and the font size is fine.
However, the PRS-505 can not view it properly. All Chinese characters are replaced with '?', and the reader reboots after turning a few pages.

Any idea?
Closed Thread