Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
BarryMarshall
BarryMarshall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647B
Kobo Library No Show

I have a Kobo reader, (not touch) and I can do everything to transfer a book from my Calibre library to the reader except find it in the reader library.

Calibre says it is there, synching the reader says it is there but when I disconnect to check the reader library there is no book.

I see some references to "touch" reader users finding their books in "Documents", I would'nt care where they are but I never have an option to open "Documents".

I need some single syllable help please.
BarryMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What format are the books in that you are using in Calibre?

There a two different syncs it will do when you plug in, one for the desktop and one for your Kobo. After it has stopped saying that it's syncing try pushing the sync button in the top right corner of the screen (Desktop app, I think that's how you are syncing right?) and then wait until that's done before ejecting and unplugging.

Hope that helps.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you are using a Kobo Wifi (at least searching on Kobo N647B gets me the WiFi).

Are these PDFs or ePubs?

ePubs show up under Menu | Books and ePubs under Menu | Documents.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
BarryMarshall

Terminator and PeterT,
Books come from a disc in MOPI and Calibre converts them to epub and says they are in Main Library. When I Eject, unplug and check they are not there. I just tried synching with the Kobo App and still no joy.

Thanks for taking the time, Barry
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you sure that calibre is not syncing over the Mobi version; take a look in calibre | Preferences | Advanced | Plugins | Device Interface plugins | Kobo Reader Device Interface and ensure that mobi | azw | azw1 | azw4 are not selected.

To be really sure make sure that it's only ePub and pdf selected.

Also, while the Kobo is attached, why not take a look at the directories and files on it, and ensure that the ePubs are present.
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
BarryMarshall

Peter,
I have adjusted the plugin to only epub and pdf. I'll try it. I don't know how to see the Kobo directories and files. When I plug the reader in all I get from the Kobo App is Library (books they want me to buy) Store (a place to buy books) and Reader which has only an Eject option. Under Tools there is Language choice or an About option.

I can only see what the reader allows through Menu. Which does not even include Documents. Is there some way to get more access?

Barry
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Barry; when the Kobo is plugged in, it will also appear as a drive letter (assuming you are using Windows).

Use Explorer (or whatever is similar on your operating system) and take a look at what files and directories are present on the Kobo.

Lets see what shows up.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
BarryMarshall

Peter,
Sorry for the delay. On connecting the reader I get a window F:/ in it are 4 folders. Adobe, .Kobo, Desktop installers and Adams, Douglas (the book I'm trying to see on the library).

There are 2 Word files, Kobo e-reader.epub and Douglas adams.epub

And 2 calibre files, Drive info and Metadata both .calibre

Clicking around the drive I see .kepub which has (I guess) the supplied classics but they have no file extension just an impossible alpha/numeric description.

It seems I have got a book from disc through Calibre and onto the reader but not in either the right place or format to show up in the library. I'm at my wits end with this, thank you for your patience.

Barry
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not sure why you have word files there... I really don't think the Kobo can read them at all!

And yes... the .kepub are the free books, and are in a format similar to ePub but with a different DRM scheme on them.

When you added the Douglas Adams, did the Kobo go through it's "processing new content" stage?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMarshall View Post
Peter,
I don't know how to see the Kobo directories and files. When I plug the reader in all I get from the Kobo App is Library (books they want me to buy) Store (a place to buy books) and Reader which has only an Eject option.

When you're in Library, make sure you're in Books, not Previews. If it says PREVIEWS at the top, click that and choose BOOKS from the dropdown.

Where did the Adams epub come from? Have you viewed the actual book fully in Calibre to check that it looks to be all present and correct?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The WiFi does not get previews
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
BarryMarshall

Peter,

When I ejected the reader and disconnected it displayed a moving bar and "processing new content".

The Adams book and the e-reader guide are definitely opened with Word according to "properties" and are flagged with a big 'W'.

For completeness I will check the Adams.epub book in Calibre. Thanks meeera.

Barry
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
BarryMarshall

Peter,

Thought I'd be clever and read the .kepub files propeties to find out what opens them and then substitute that programme for the Word files (They are not really Word files as word opens them as miles of code). Doh! It's not that easy as .kepub does not specify what opens them.

I guess I need to know where should put the Calibre .epub file so that Kobo can find and open them, I also need to know what programme opens them to alter what seems to be a default Word option. Am I on the right track here?

How come it doesn't work like calibre suggests?

Any comments gratefully received.

Barry
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Be careful.... when you use Explorer to look at files on the Touch, it shows you what program on the PC would be used to open the file; NOT what the Kobo Touch will use to open them.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
BarryMarshall

Peter,

Thanks, it failed anyway but I'm getting desperate!

I can only think that there is some fault with the source. I have been given a disc of .MOBI which I understood would upload and convert using Calibre then download to the reader.

I'm going to try and load one of the free previews from the Kobo store. If that works at least I know the reader receives OK.

Barry

Tags
kobo library transfer, lost library transfer