Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Verdant Pioneers - sequel to Verdant Skies

Verdant Pioneers, the sequel to the hit Verdant Skies, is now available at Steven Lyle Jordan books and other major booksellers, for $2.99US.

The city-satellite Verdant has spent a year out in deep space, moving from system to system in search of the raw materials it needs to survive, fighting off terrorist factions that seek to force their return to Earth influence, and unsure of Earth's state. No one on Earth knows Verdant's status, either, and both sides are afraid of aggression from the other.

And when the deep-space discovery of the age is spoiled by the unexpected disappearance of one of their freighters, Julian Lenz and his staff must make a difficult decision: To take Verdant into hiding, perhaps forever; or to return to Earth, and risk Verdant's survival.

By popular demand: Fans everywhere (especially around here!) raved over Verdant Skies, and demanded to know what happened to the satellite and its residents after they left Earth orbit. Verdant Pioneers is the second chapter of Verdant's epic journey.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 08-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Bout bloody time mate.

Seriously, good news. Will be starting it tonight.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Whoop!! Thanks, Steven.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Excellent! Verdant Skies was an awesome tale!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to mention: The text of Verdant Pioneers contains the "longest word in the English Language."

"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilic​ovolcanoconiosi s" is listed in the Oxford English dictionary and others, as the longest actual word in the English language... and it fits the context of the book! (Read the book to see what it means.)

Who's got the number for Guinness? (The records guys, not the beer.)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-25-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What a word!

I really need to schedule Verdant Skies higher up in my TBR.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
What a word!

I really need to schedule Verdant Skies higher up in my TBR.
If, for no other reason, than to see how that word is used!

(Oh, heck... just read the free excerpt, it's in Chapter 1.)

You might be interested to know that, in the same way Verdant Skies had a mystery (how will they get out of harm's way when everyone wants to board and co-opt them?), Verdant Pioneers has an interesting mystery as well (which, heh, I will not divulge here).

However, the sequel is the same as Verdant Skies in that it is primarily a people story; it examines the lives of Verdant's residents in their new and unique situation, and how they deal with it. It features many of the same characters familiar to Verdant Skies readers, plus a few others.

When I wrote Verdant Skies, I had no intention of writing a sequel; I thought it was perfectly formed and finished as it was. Needless to say, a number of readers disagreed, and it became my second most popular sequel-request (after the Kestral stories).

Part of the reason I didn’t want to write a sequel to Verdant Skies was, I didn’t want to turn it into a sort of Space:1999, where the intrepid but otherwise helpless residents of Verdant would be subjected to regularly meeting predictable alien races, battling their way out of mischief, and "translating" off to another episode. I knew there were readers out there who indeed wanted to see them meet alien races, and to engage in surrealistic battles ala Star Wars. But that just wasn’t what I’d envisioned for these characters or this universe. This was supposed to be a very realistic scenario (as much as travel to other worlds can possibly be, at any rate), and I didn’t see intelligent aliens and “take me to your leader” to be a part of that scenario. I’d found a way out of it by creating the Kestral universe, and I wasn’t going to make this a part of that.

All the same, I did have some ideas along those lines (aliens, I mean), and was able to explore them in Verdant Pioneers. I think the result is, again, very believable and realistic, and I'm proud of the way it came out.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Well after a very busy time and only reading a couple of pages before falling asleep, I decided today to stop, sit down and finish the story. So glad I did. Excellent read Steven, thank you for finishing the story (almost finishing).

I for one would love another book in the Verdant Universe but understand your reasons for not planning one. I suppose I will have to put up with another Kestral book.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I for one would love another book in the Verdant Universe but understand your reasons for not planning one.
Wellll... I'm not actually planning one... but that doesn't mean I won't write one...

In fact, right now I have no idea what my next writing project will be, a continuation of something I've already done, or something completely different. A lot depends on the TV series project I've been pulled into, and how it impacts my writing time in the future (ie, if it gets picked up, and whether I'm still attached to it when it is). So all new writing projects are in limbo right now.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilic​ovolcanoconiosi s"
I actually know what it means
I also know it is three letters longer than the longest Norwegian word:
"Lengdeutvidelseskoeffisientmålingsapparatur" but only half the length of the longest Swedish word of 94 letters:
"Spårvangsaktiebolagsskenssmutsskutarefackförening sbeklädnadsmagasinsdepotsförrådsförvaltare". (It is actually a job title!)
(I also know about 50 decimals of pi by heart).

Anyway, I bought both the Verdant books and the three Kestral books to put into my evergrowing TBR-list. I may be able to start reading within the next couple of months as I plan to read "Dirk Gently" first.

Which series do you recommend to start with? Verdant og Kestral?

Last edited by Bikeridr; 08-16-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Getting the Swedish word correct
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Anyway, I bought both the Verdant books and the three Kestral books to put into my evergrowing TBR-list.
YAAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Which series do you recommend to start with? Verdant og Kestral?
Depends on your mood; the two series are very different in feel.

The Kestral stories are reminiscent of Star Trek (TOS) and Firefly, sci-fi adventure that doesn't get too nit-picky about the science part. (In fact, I originally designed the Kestral stories to be within the Trek universe, then redesigned the settings to what I considered a more realistic universe. Then Firefly came out, and I swear I wondered if Joss Whedon had somehow pinched my notes!)

The Verdant stories are based on hard science, with some interesting interpolations based on current theory. They feature a very realistic setting and characters, and a storyline believable enough that you can easily imagine being caught up in their situation yourself.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 08-16-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Oh,
I loved Firefly, so I guess I'll start with the Kestral then.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Then Firefly came out, and I swear I wondered if Joss Whedon had somehow pinched my notes!)
Oh - huge Firefly fan here. That is very good information Mr Jordan. Kestral series now on my wishlist.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist

So have you written Verdant III yet? Have you, have you?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, if only I had a million like you...

(You have told a million people about me, right? Haven't you? Haven't you?)

Tags
science fiction, steven lyle jordan, verdant pioneers, verdant skies