Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
NootnaSiri
NootnaSiri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader devices survey spring 2011

Hi all,

I'm a masters student in London at the University of Greenwich, and currently conducting a survey for my MA International Business into attitudes towards ebook readers.

The aim of the survey is to update previous studies, in particular following recent drops in the pricing of ebook readers and the increase in the range of ebook readers available.

If you could spare a couple of minutes to complete this survey your help will be greatly appreciated. The questionnaire can be found at this address: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YN692L7

If you have any questions about it please contact me either through this site or on nootna91@gmail.com

Best wishes, and thank you very much for your help.
NootnaSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I started filling it in, but can't continue. It's too single-device based, and I use several, on a daily basis, depending on my needs, not preference.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I filled in the survey as I mainly use one device for reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You need a "N/A" answer for a lot of those. How am I supposed to be satisfied or dissatisfied with the color, for instance, on a device without a color display? How should I answer for the ease of using DRM-locked ebooks when I will not buy any such books? I answered your survey, but a bunch of my answers are going to be marginally useless because the real but unavailable answer was "N/A".
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
All done - hope it helps.

For those asking for an "N/A" choice, it would make it more intuitive, but I just left those ones blank and it accepted them.

Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just skip the ones that don't apply. looks like some adjustments have been made
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Done - those bits not applicable were ignored.

Please let us have some results when you've completed the process, and Welcome to Mobileread .... Possibly not a good idea to openly publish an active email address - you never know who is lurking....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Possibly not a good idea to openly publish an active email address - you never know who is lurking....
Or what is lurking ... spambots are the scourge of the Web.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Nice survey interface.

I left the "available via device" choices blank in the first instance. My device does not have an associated store. I'd already selected books I wanted, and all of them would have been available on any reader.

What you wouldn't have got from my survey answers (I don't think) is that I don't buy DRM'd ebooks, because my ereader doesn't support them.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
NootnaSiri
NootnaSiri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Done - those bits not applicable were ignored.

Please let us have some results when you've completed the process, and Welcome to Mobileread .... Possibly not a good idea to openly publish an active email address - you never know who is lurking....

Thanks very much for taking the time, and the feedback - I wasn't expecting such quick responses... Yes I will come back with the results once all done.
NootnaSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

For the record: I have a Sony PRS-505, and it does exactly what I want. I don't buy books from the Sony store (which would be available via my computer if I bothered to install the software) because their books are DRM-locked, and I refuse to support the DRM ecosystem. I buy my books from other sources (Baen, O'Reilly, and Smashwords are the biggest) or download public domain books from Project Gutenberg, here, ManyBooks, etc. I care about three things: usability, usability, and usability. Oh, and I read a lot.

The survey didn't really seem very good at asking questions that those answers would fit.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Done.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I took the survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NootnaSiri View Post
Thanks very much for taking the time, and the feedback - I wasn't expecting such quick responses... Yes I will come back with the results once all done.
That would be awesome!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Done. I'll look forward to seeing your results.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
took the survey and am also interested in results.

Hindsight always happen; you find questions that would obtain more information. I think it would have been good to have a question of whether you prefer to buy books or obtain from the public domain (freebies).
Also, do you refuse to buy DRM, don't care, or buy but strip the DRM.
Also, on the proprietory aspect, such as what Amazon is, how much was it a factor in buying your reader, whether or not you would be limited.
For me, the fact that Amazon was proprietory immediately took them off the list of possible readers. The same with Nook, it was restricted, although not as much, as the Kindle was.

good luck with the survey
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote