Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
odm audiobook file?

I know y'all are ebook readers, but I figure some folks must be listening to books too.......

I "downloaded" an OverDrive WMA Audiobook today. The file showed up as
<nnn>.odm

The library site says I need to download software, so I downloaded the Overdrive Media Console.

Then I had to upgrade something on the Windows Media Player, which I did from the Media Console...

FINALLY, after all this stupidity, I told it to open the odm file. It sits a second THEN says "The selected title requires a newer version of the Windows Media Player security upgarde (2.5.0.1) than is currently installed (2.5.0.0).....

Now remember, I JUST INSTALLED THE SECURITY UPGRADE IT DEMANDED...

WTF? Is this just some idiotic scam or what? 'Cause at this point I'm thinking it's more trouble than it's worth just to get an audiobook from OverDrive.....
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
WTF? Is this just some idiotic scam or what? 'Cause at this point I'm thinking it's more trouble than it's worth just to get an audiobook from OverDrive.....
Have no idea why it didn't catch the latest version the first time, but the security upgrade is necessary:

What is the 'Windows Media Player Security Upgrade' and how do I complete it?

Quote:
The Windows Media Security Upgrade is a process that must be performed before Windows Media Player will allow any DRM-protected files to be downloaded. A security measure, the security update identifies the copy of Windows Media Player with the computer on which Windows Media Player is being used. Publishers often require this sort of security in order to discourage the unlawful redistribution of digital content.

If you have not previously performed the security upgrade, the first time that you attempt to download DRM-protected content, OverDrive Media Console checks to see if you need to complete the security upgrade. If a security upgrade is needed, a message is displayed notifying you that in order to download and play DRM-protected content, you must first upgrade the security of Windows Media Player. Follow the instructions provided in the message to complete the security update.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
>Have no idea why it didn't catch the latest version the first time, but the security upgrade is necessary:

I'm not arguing whether or not it's necessary, just that IT DOESN'T WORK.
Didn't work THE FIRST TIME. OR THE SECOND TIME. OR THE THIRD TIME. DIDN'T WORK AFTER 24 HOURS WHEN I TRIED IT AGAIN TODAY.

DIDN'T WORK GOING DIRECTLY TO THE URL LISTED IN THE "IF ALL ELSE FAILS"...............

I don't know what 2.5.0.1 IS, or how it differs from 2.5.0.0, which is what's getting installed, but I'm not the only person having the problem. There are notes scattered around the Internet of people getting this error, and apparently it's not fixed or nobody cares too awfully much......
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote