Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Questions about eBookwise 1150

I know the eBookwise 1150 is currently on sale for $89.95, and I am wanting to check it out, BUT I have some questions to see if this is what I want.

I did recently check out the the Sony 600 that my friend just got, which has the highlight & make notes features, and wanted to know if that was similiar to the 1150...

The sales text says the 1150 can do these features: By simply touching the screen, you can enlarge the text size, bookmark pages, highlight passages, make notes, search for key words and hyperlink to other parts of the book.

A. If you highlight a passage, does it save a "file" that you can go back to review it quickly - how do you find the highlighted text?

B. How do you make notes? Does it give you a screen and a "keypad" to punch the text in & save it?

C. Can you highlight & make notes on user documents (like Word) that has been loaded on reader, or is it just ebooks?

D. How many text sizes are available on the 1150? S-M-L or more?

E. Is the Librarian program needed to use 1150, and how much to purchase if it is?

Any insight/help would be so helpful! Thanks

Last edited by bookratt; 11-21-2009 at 06:11 PM.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
A. You don't highlight in the sense of shading a block of text or cutting it to a file. You simply write on the current page (or a blank page you can insert after it). It's like using a pencil in a paper book.

B. You write with a stylus. You get an on-screen keypad for when you need to Find Text, but notes are strictly handwritten with the stylus, not typed. They can be in the current work, or you can have a separate book for them (someone made a blank book with lined pages, I've seen somewhere),

C. Anything you can convert to IMP format and load, you can scrawl notes on. They're always visible, not something you can toggle, as in some programs.

D. The standard serif font used by default for body text comes in six sizes (xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl), as does the sans serif used for headers, though its sizes run bigger. See Dale's EB-1150 page. I favor the largest serif font for the books I make; it runs sixteen lines per page (that's four lines per inch), plus changing header (in smallfont, without the separating line Librarian uses).

E. No, you can get the impserve program here to load books, and use ETI's eBook Publisher to make them, both free. Breeno's Librarian is $15.

Librarian is simpler if you just like quick conversions of basic stuff. If you want to do more complex stuff, Publisher is more versatile. This is the sort of page I turn out. If you're willing to put in the effort, you can get quite nice conversions; I just settle for basic stuff, plus turning off the header at chapter starts for a cleaner look, and changing it for stories in a collection. On the actual eBookwise, it's 112 mm from the bottom of the thick grey line at top to the top of the double-lined progress bar at the bottom.

Last edited by Jadon; 11-21-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
[QUOTE=Jadon;664839]
D. The standard serif font used by default for body text comes in six sizes (xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl), as does the sans serif used for headers, though its sizes run bigger. See Dale's EB-1150 page. I favor the largest serif font for the books I make; it runs sixteen lines per page (that's four lines per inch), plus changing header (in smallfont, without the separating line Librarian uses).

While you have a larger group of font sizes to choose from when creating the document (smaller for footnotes, regular for body, larger for subheaders, larger still for main headers, etc.), once it's on the machine, you can only increase the font one increment, that's it, and that assumes the IMP was made with the two font size changes in it. You can choose not to allow for the font change to make smaller files.

So it's important to make the fonts readable in the first place when you make your documents.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
A. Highlight does in fact highlight a block of text. Once highlighted, it is considered a markup.

It is then searchable by tapping the upper left icon and selecting find then find markups. You can't enter a qualifier but must step through all markups one at a time.

The markups are not exportable and so can't be printed out unless there is a program like RB disintegrator (I think that's what it is called) that will "explode" the IMP format into something you can open in a word processor.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
The markups are not exportable and so can't be printed out unless there is a program like RB disintegrator (I think that's what it is called) that will "explode" the IMP format into something you can open in a word processor.

Michael
Some relevant links are (regarding markups stored within the .IMP on the ebook hardware device):

1. Extracting markups (annotations and highlites) from your ebook!

2. Extracting html/images from within .imp files!

3. Reverse-engineering the .IMP format

4. IMP GUI Converter/Editor

While there is no easy way to extract markups, there could be a way, if I can ever figure out the PICT file format used by ETI within the .IMP to save an image of the page where the highlight start/end points are referenced to. The above will give you a flavour of what to expect...

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-25-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebookwise 1150, features