Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
bengalih
bengalih began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
PDF Annotations - what are you using?

So I'm just starting to use Calibre, and while it would not be my preferable "Reader" application, I believe it is going to become so due to how it handles annotations.

The fact that I can annotate from within the content-server reader and make it accessible on any platform is very useful. It still has many disadvantages with annotations (which I can get into if anyone want to discuss), but with all the pros/cons, I'm still leaning towards it.

However there is no ability to annotate PDF documents. I'm here asking what other people do for PDF annotation?

I looked into several options and the one that looked best to me from a device compatibility/sync/sharing perspective was Hypothes.is.

However there is a big limitation which is that it works with a browser extension. This means it can't be used on browsers which don't support extensions. They offer a "proxy service" that is supposed to deal with this, but it doesn't work for two reasons:
1) If your content-server is password protected, it doesn't seem to function with it
2) Even without password protection they seem to have moved away from an open proxy a year or so ago and so they only requests to certain well-known sites. This won't really work for access to documents on personal server.

So any discussion on this is welcome.

thanks
bengalih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't use PDFs in a browser, ever.

PDFs are not ebooks.

Choice of a PDF viewer that's good for annotations depends on your hardware and OS. Also can depend on the kind of PDF.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:47 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Don't use PDFs in a browser, ever.
What rot, barely a day passes when I don't look at a PDF via Firefox or Edge. Right now while typing in Firefox here, I have the following half read in Edge: https://carnegieendowment.org/files/...sment_2020.pdf, and last week's NSW respiratory disease epidemiology report bookmarked to read next.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:19 AM   #4
pingdan
pingdan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
I use Xodo for reading and annotating PDFs on the iPad and Android.
I am curious if it’ll meet your needs
If not, here are some good recommendations: https://pctechtest.com/best-pdf-annotation-apps
pingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:32 PM   #5
retval
Enthusiast
retval began at the beginning.

Device: none
Greetings, for pdf I use Foxyt Reader (free). It allows to export as text file the highlights or annotations as text file. That allows to take it to other note tools like obsidian.
retval is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf annotation