Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
MOJOJE
MOJOJE began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error 13 when trying to update metadata

I am sure it is something I am doing, but it is becoming quite frustrating. As of the last update, when I try to bulk download and update metadata, (even on two books), I get the error message below:

calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Some failures: Failed to apply updated metadata for some books in your library. Click "Show Details" to see details.

THE LEFT-HANDED BOOKSELLERS OF LONDON - GARTH NIX

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 821, in apply_mi
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 472, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1321, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1316, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1118, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1520, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 410, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'c:\\users\\mom34\\documents\\calibre library\\garth nix\\the left-handed booksellers of lond (416)\\metadata.opf'[/I][/B]

The books are never open in another process and I have resorted to deleting all the new downloads from the file MY KINDLE CONTENT and it still doesn't work properly.

Any Help?

Thanks!!!

Karen
MOJOJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This doesn't seen to involve CC. Moved to calibre's library subforum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOJE View Post
I am sure it is something I am doing, but it is becoming quite frustrating. As of the last update, when I try to bulk download and update metadata, (even on two books), I get the error message below:

calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Some failures: Failed to apply updated metadata for some books in your library. Click "Show Details" to see details.

THE LEFT-HANDED BOOKSELLERS OF LONDON - GARTH NIX

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 821, in apply_mi
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 472, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1321, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1316, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1118, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1520, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 410, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'c:\\users\\mom34\\documents\\calibre library\\garth nix\\the left-handed booksellers of lond (416)\\metadata.opf'[/I][/B]

The books are never open in another process and I have resorted to deleting all the new downloads from the file MY KINDLE CONTENT and it still doesn't work properly.

Any Help?

Thanks!!!

Karen
Here is how to find out what is program has a lock on your file.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-23-2020 at 07:51 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
MOJOJE

I am still getting the following message when trying to download metadata for my Kindle ebooks.

Obsidian Son: A Nate Temple Supernatural Thriller Book 1 (The Temple Chronicles) - SHAYNE SILVERS

File "calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 402, in __init__
pywintypes.error: (32, 'CreateFileW', 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 820, in apply_mi
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 574, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1336, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1331, in set_field
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1133, in set_field
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1559, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 426, in __init__
PermissionError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: 'c:\\users\\mom34\\documents\\calibre library\\shayne silvers\\obsidian son_ a nate temple superna (512)\\obsidian son_ a nate temple sup - shayne silvers.epub'

************************************************** ******************************

I tried locating the file that was blocking/holding the book open as suggested but cannot figure it out. Any further suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I am still getting the following message when trying to download metadata for my Kindle ebooks.

Obsidian Son: A Nate Temple Supernatural Thriller Book 1 (The Temple Chronicles) - SHAYNE SILVERS

File "calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 402, in __init__
pywintypes.error: (32, 'CreateFileW', 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 820, in apply_mi
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 574, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1336, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1331, in set_field
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1133, in set_field
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1559, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 426, in __init__
PermissionError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: 'c:\\users\\mom34\\documents\\calibre library\\shayne silvers\\obsidian son_ a nate temple superna (512)\\obsidian son_ a nate temple sup - shayne silvers.epub'

************************************************** ******************************

I tried locating the file that was blocking/holding the book open as suggested but cannot figure it out. Any further suggestions? Thanks!
You might want to try moving your library outside your documents folder. I'd suggest:
  1. closing calibre
  2. creating a new directory called calibre in your mom34 directory
  3. copy and paste your calibre library folder into that directory
  4. rename the calibre library in the new location (Main Library, whatever) i.e c:\users\mom34\calibre\Main Library\
  5. open calibre
  6. click on the library icon
  7. click on Switch/create library
  8. browse to the location where you copied your library to
  9. make sure that Use the previously existing library at the new location is selected
  10. click OK
  11. test using the new library location
  12. once you are happy, you can remove the old library using calibre and delete the files.

You might also want to check on Controlled Folder Access. Check this link for more information: Allow a blocked app in Windows Security.

Best I can think of for now.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
MOJOJE

Error 13 when trying to update metadata

David, thank you so much for your detailed information/instructions. It worked perfectly. So nice to know there are people like you who can help those of us who cannot figure these things out by ourselves. Again, Thank You!!!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
David, thank you so much for your detailed information/instructions. It worked perfectly.
Good to hear that I was able to help you.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, error 13, update metadata