Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
In the iOS world, subscriptions are tied to your Apple ID. It's part of the apple API. Go to settings on your iOS device, select Apple id (it's the first entry on the list), select subscriptions.
Yep, how else would you be able to use multiple devices and still have access to your subscription apps? Or even to previously purchased apps?

I don't get the resistance to signing in to your Apple ID.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
I don't expect final users to read Amazon/Apple/Google guidelines but I do expect that from devs and publishers.

Apps don't need to login with Apple ID (unless they provide auth with a 3rd party service). The device is logged and every app downloaded contains a "list" with all purchases associated with them.

You, as a dev, need to verify that these purchases were not tampered by checking each purchase against apple. But you don't need each app with IAP to request you your Apple Id to validate your purchases. That's insanity.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I don't expect final users to read Amazon/Apple/Google guidelines but I do expect that from devs and publishers.

Apps don't need to login with Apple ID (unless they provide auth with a 3rd party service). The device is logged and every app downloaded contains a "list" with all purchases associated with them.

You, as a dev, need to verify that these purchases were not tampered by checking each purchase against apple. But you don't need each app with IAP to request you your Apple Id to validate your purchases. That's insanity.
Absolutely agree. My Apple id is unpronounceable so having to type it in every time for CC, and only CC, is a real PITA. Only know iOS from my iPad, is there no cookie support in iOS?
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #19
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Now the program is a big joke. Seriously somebody thinks that signing with Apple Id is the way to verify a purchased receipt?.
Speaking from my (limited) iOS development experience - you are wrong. Sometimes such dialog it IS necessary, especially if app use subscriptions.
Dialog like you saw is provided not by CC but by iOS itself (App will wont pass Apple's review if they try to ask to AppleID except via 'correct' system APIs).
Also, you won't be subscribed by entering your AppleID, app must show CLEAR offer to so and show system popup with details after that (and if app is not clear enough(for Apple's definition of 'enough') - they will be in trouble with Apple).
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
Speaking from my (limited) iOS development experience - you are wrong. Sometimes such dialog it IS necessary, especially if app use subscriptions.
Nope. Could you explain me why is better to use authenticationServices than to derive purchases and subscription state from NSBundle?.

if you spend a single minute reading https://developer.apple.com/document...cationservices you'll find that the whole thing is available to validate who you are. Does an app like calibre companion needs that? Nope, never.

If you are interested you can read https://developer.apple.com/document..._the_app_store. It is 1 link away of the link I pasted on a previous post, but I think nobody tried to open it.

Maybe I'm not aware and that's the way some apps use login with Apple to save a few bucks per month as they avoid server validation.

Could someone post here another example of an offline app that requires the Apple Id to validate your purchases or subscription state?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #21
pazos
cosiñeiro

And, of course, login with Apple is not sampled as a valid way for receipt validation in https://developer.apple.com/document...tion_technique. Because is not a validation technique!.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
You know, driving a software developer away while trying to prove that you are the alpha guy who is always right really didn't work all that well when it was done with Marvin's developer. I'm not trying to moderate here, but I will point out that relentlessly sledgehammering away on a point is counter productive, unless your goal is simply to drive everyone else away.

My personal take is that the developer is doing the best they can. I had to put in my apple id once and haven't had to since, so I don't see it as a major issue. If it's counter to the developer handbook, then fine, you made your point.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #23
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You know, driving a software developer away while trying to prove that you are the alpha guy who is always right really didn't work all that well when it was done with Marvin's developer. I'm not trying to moderate here, but I will point out that relentlessly sledgehammering away on a point is counter productive, unless your goal is simply to drive everyone else away.

My personal take is that the developer is doing the best they can. I had to put in my apple id once and haven't had to since, so I don't see it as a major issue. If it's counter to the developer handbook, then fine, you made your point.
I'm not trying to prove I'm right and I do make a lot of mistakes. I like to think that's because I'm human . Please don't try to guess the intents of my actions without asking me first. Thank you!

But yeah, you have a point. I'll move on. This subforum is not for me.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I'm not trying to prove I'm right and I do make a lot of mistakes. I like to think that's because I'm human . Please don't try to guess the intents of my actions without asking me first. Thank you!

But yeah, you have a point. I'll move on. This subforum is not for me.
I'm not trying to say don't post here. I'm saying that the posting style of constantly hammering away at someone trying to pound them into submission is counter productive.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #25
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not trying to say don't post here. I'm saying that the posting style of constantly hammering away at someone trying to pound them into submission is counter productive.
Thanks for being nice. I think I didn't hammer anybody, at least on a regular basis . You can look my posts on this subforum if you like. I think they're pretty harmless

Now I'm no longer a CC user and moved my CC workflow to my main reader. I'll move on.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:11 AM   #26
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Now I'm no longer a CC user and moved my CC workflow to my main reader. I'll move on.
Which one?
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion