Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #151
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
that's good, because I wasn't looking forward to giving you mouth to mouth resuscitation
Don't expect it from me either.
I'm not getting on a plane for the next few years.
(Recirculating air supply? Now that is a place to hold your breath.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:16 AM   #152
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
published, with credit given

kudos!
And now the links go nowhere... again. I guess maybe next Tuesday? These leaked links don't start showing up if the release is not going to happen fairly soon. I thought maybe yesterday, but no such luck.

I saw on your website that the Kindle Basics have quietly upped their usable RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB. It sounds to me like Amazon is looking at Kobo as competition. If so, that's great news.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-24-2020 at 02:18 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #153
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Don't be so sure about that. When Kobo launched the Aura Ed. 2 within a few months they discontinued the Glo HD and it was quite awhile before the Clara HD came out. History can easily repeat itself.
Anything is possible, but since the Tolino line-up is set the same now, it seems like that's the direction Kobo is going with their lineup. I'm guessing the new Clara will be waterproof and (otherwise) pretty much the same as the current Clara.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:30 AM   #154
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
No, I got that. I disagree with this. Specifically I don't think it's a given.
Okay. I just look at the Kobo's Tolino line-up and figure they'll duplicate it with the Kobo lineup (actually they have... for how long I don't know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The Clara came out nearly a full two years after the Aura ed. 2, pricing it over the Aura made sense. And keeping the Aura ed 2 made sense as its diminished feature set versus the Clara would make consumers jump to the only slightly more expensive Clara.
The suggested retail price for the Kobo Aura Edition 2 was near the same as the Clara, but in the U.S. (at least) the Aura Edition 2 sold for a quite a bit less. Walmart had them priced at $50 for a couple months and regularly priced near $70 for quite a while. I'm pretty sure Kobo wants to be able to match Kindle Basic prices when they go on sale and doing that with the Clara would require a 50% reduction. The Clara is meant to compete with the Paperwhite, not the Basic Kindle.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:38 AM   #155
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Staples ad clearly specifies Nia with comfort light.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2982...a-6-inch-black

Enjoy reading at night with built-in, adjustable ComfortLight

It looks a lot like a Clara to me.
As Zod mentions, that's what Kobo calls their normal, white front-lit, feature. ComfortLight Pro is the one with the "warm light." This has thrown me several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't like Kobo's cutesy naming. But anyway, ComfortLight is any/all lighting. ConfortLight Pro is the lighting that turns orange on the Clara, Libra and Forma.

The Nia looks a lot like the Aura 2 to me.
Basically the same. The switch is on the bottom instead of on the back (it's like the Clara) and it has 8 GBs of storage instead 4 GB. Also it has 512 MB of operating RAM instead of 256 MB. So it's just an updated (and slightly improved) Aura Edition 2 or (more accurately, a hardware clone of the Tolino Page 2).

https://mytolino.com/tolino-page-2/page-2-ebook-reader/

https://mytolino.com/tolino-page-2/t...tolino-page-2/
Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #156
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing the new Clara will be waterproof and (otherwise) pretty much the same as the current Clara.
Once that comes along, it will be the last reader I buy for quite a while. A 6" reader with 300 ppi screen that is waterproof and has orange lighting is what I have been waiting for. Yes, I know about Pocketbook, etc. But am looking for a brand I know: Kobo, Kindle or Nook.

I do hope Kobo steals from the Nook to where the white LEDs turn off at max night settings. I also hope this mythical waterproof Clara 2 has a flush screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #157
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Once that comes along, it will be the last reader I buy for quite a while. A 6" reader with 300 ppi screen that is waterproof and has orange lighting is what I have been waiting for. Yes, I know about Pocketbook, etc. But am looking for a brand I know: Kobo, Kindle or Nook.
I was kind if thinking of you when I wrote that. I hope it happens (and soon) because it seems to me that the Clara is about due for an upgrade. And, since it competes against the Paperwhite, I'm guessing waterproofing (resisting) is something they'll look into doing. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a flush screen or a change in LED behavior however.

I can understand why you like Kobos, lots of good things to like. My bias runs towards Readers with built-in ADE because I don't run Windows.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #158
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I wanna see a Nia!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #159
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I wanna see a Nia!
I was hoping (and kind of thought) they would be out yesterday. But, until then...

https://mytolino.com/tolino-page-2/page-2-ebook-reader/

Just Photoshop "Kobo" on the bottom bezel instead of "Tolino."
Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #160
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...since it competes against the Paperwhite, I'm guessing waterproofing (resisting) is something they'll look into doing.
Clara has the warm light and Paperwhite doesn't. So right now, each has a feature that differentiates it from the other.

I kind of figure each will get the other's feature soon though, because there's really not much else to do with the 6" readers. More storage maybe, from 8GB to 16GB. But I think that would be less exciting than waterproofing or warm lighting.

Quote:
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a flush screen or a change in LED behavior however.
When B&N changed from the Glowlight to the waterproof Glowlight Plus, the screen was made flush. When the Paperwhite was updated to waterproof the screen was flush.

Of course, there's also readers that are waterproof and not flush. But I can hope.

The orange light behavior, yeah, they likely won't change that. But it seems like it would be easy enough to do with just software. I would think they could even update the behavior of Kobos that already have warm lighting by updating software. The LEDs are already in the device and are capable of being turned off already.

When it comes to orange lighting, my Glowlight 3 puts my Clara to shame.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-26-2020 at 11:42 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #161
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I wanna see a Nia!
see my post
https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...-page-2-clone/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #162
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The orange light behavior, yeah, they likely won't change that. But it seems like it would be easy enough to do with just software. I would think they could even update the behavior of Kobos that already have warm lighting by updating software. The LEDs are already in the device and are capable of being turned off already.

When it comes to orange lighting, my Glowlight 3 puts my Clara to shame.
I just – finally – really realized what you were saying. So, on the Kobos, it's either the white LEDs or the orange ones, but never both? On the Tolinos it's definitely both white and orange (all 13 LEDs at the same time) – and that includes the Clara HD clone, the Shine 3 (at least I'm 99% sure it does, but I don't currently have it with me). So, if Kobo can do it on the Tolinos they definitely can do it on the Kobos. Do you suppose they don't do it to save battery life? I can't quite understand it otherwise.

How do other readers handle this? (I only have "warm light" on the Tolinos.)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #163
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I just – finally – really realized what you were saying. So, on the Kobos, it's either the white LEDs or the orange ones, but never both? On the Tolinos it's definitely both white and orange (all 13 LEDs at the same time) – and that includes the Clara HD clone, the Shine 3 (at least I'm 99% sure it does, but I don't currently have it with me). So, if Kobo can do it on the Tolinos they definitely can do it on the Kobos. Do you suppose they don't do it to save battery life? I can't quite understand it otherwise.

How do other readers handle this? (I only have "warm light" on the Tolinos.)
They are RGB LEDs, not orange. That's how the color can go from yellow to almost red.

And yes, when you turn the frontlight all the way up, all parts of the RGB LED is lit.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #164
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
They are RGB LEDs, not orange. That's how the color can go from yellow to almost red.

And yes, when you turn the frontlight all the way up, all parts of the RGB LED is lit.
Are you sure of that for the later devices? The Aura ONE was like that. One set of LEDs that were mixed to give the right colour. And with developers mode on, there is an function to do this manually.

For the devices since, I thought they had two sets of LEDs as described by @rcentros. One set is white, the other is coloured. The colour is achieved by changing the relative brightness of the two sets of lights.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #165
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

I don't think the new eReaders use RGB LEDs any more. (Just been reading up on this.) What they use is cold white and warm white LEDs interspersed. The Tolinos with Smart Light look almost exactly like the Nook Glowlight 3 and new Glowlight Plus. Apparently (according to ZodWallop) what makes them different from the new Kobos (Clara HD, Libre H2O and Forma) is that that the Tolinos and Nooks turn off the warm white LEDs at full "cool" setting and turn off the cold white LEDs at full "warm" setting. Apparently that's why the Tolinos and Nooks can produce bluer "white" and oranger orange (if "oranger" is a word). It looks like the modern Kobos have the same system, so they should be able to produce the same range. (Just by looking at the PocketBook screens, they look like they also work like the Nooks.)

The darker orange tone is produced by intensity and the fact that there is no blending of the cold white at the highest setting on the Tolinos and Nooks (and probably the PocketBooks).

A couple YouTube videos... one shows a comparison between RGB LEDs and white LEDs, the other a comparison of cold, nuetral and warm white LEDs. I'm guessing these were made by a company selling LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDykmcH7CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88DAEsq54XU

If any of this is more than an assumption, then the Kobo should be able to work like a Nook or Tolino simply by changing settings in software. (I think it should be possible.) The question is, why doesn't Kobo want to do this? (Also, if this is true, could a patch be installed to do this?)