Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickRK View Post

So given that scenario, does anyone know how to get Kindle books from Calibre into the Kindle app on an iPad. (No, I do not want to strip the DRM as I do not feel that is fair to the authors. But in my case I bought and own the books. I just want to be able to read them on the device of my choice.)

Thanks in advance.
I might be missing something but if the books are in Calibre doesn't that mean that they have the drm stripped already?
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
I might be missing something but if the books are in Calibre doesn't that mean that they have the drm stripped already?
Only if you have installed and configured a plugin to deal with DRM.

By default calibre leaves any DRM present in books intact.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Only if you have installed and configured a plugin to deal with DRM.

By default calibre leaves any DRM present in books intact.
OK - personally I wouldn't put a locked book into calibre, but I guess there may be reasons.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I ran into a similar issue with one co-worker. He and his wife have been using the same Amazon account for several years. When they were splitting up, she got to retain the Amazon account while he got to keep the dog. What we did was to have him create a new account on Amazon, de-register his Kindle app on his iPad and register it to his new account, setup calibre and the Kindle app on his laptop with the old account settings, download all the purchased ebooks, bring them into calibre removing the DRM and email them to his new Send-to-Kindle email address. About 130 ebooks in total so this worked for him.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In this situation, I highly recommend removing the DRM and retaining DRM-free copies.

After doing that, and making sure you have backups, delete the books from the Amazon account that you are having to give up. That way you can be assured that you're not defrauding the authors in any way,
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #21
MaverickRK
MaverickRK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on iPad
OK, Removing DRM but now cannot get into Kindle on iPad

So I finally gave up and took everyone's advice. I used DeDRM plugin for Calibre, and finally got it working.

So then I tried sending to my iPad (using Calibre Companion and wireless connection), and that worked as well. But when I try to "Read" the now DeDRM'd book from Companion, it asks me where I want to send it, and when I choose my Kindle App which is where I would like to read it, I get an error mesage: "Incompatible Document Type".

I have tried sending the original AZW3 file, and I tried converting to EPUB and to MOBI first. I was able to make the conversion, but I'm not sure how to send the converted version as opposed to the original to the device using Companion.

On the other hand, I don't understand why it does not understand the AZW3 format as that is its format.

Any further help would be appreciated.
MaverickRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickRK View Post
On the other hand, I don't understand why it does not understand the AZW3 format as that is its format.
The Kindle for iOS app does not support Amazon's KF8/AZW3 format. You need to use one of the formats that it does support: MOBI7, AZK, or KFX. (I am not sure whether or not all of these can be sent using calibre companion.)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #23
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Following DNSB's procedure, the step "and email them to his new Send-to-Kindle email address" would send them in the correct format?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Following DNSB's procedure, the step "and email them to his new Send-to-Kindle email address" would send them in the correct format?
Sending via email will cause the book to be delivered to the iOS app in the old MOBI format as opposed to KF8, AZK or KFX. That will be readable for most books, but some formatting may be lost.

Note that if the book is in AZW3 format that cannot be emailed directly. It will have to be converted to MOBI or a Master MOBI first.

(In contrast an e-ink Kindle device or the Kindle for Android app would receive the same book in KF8 format if a Master MOBI was emailed. Kindle for iOS is deficient in this area.)

Last edited by jhowell; 08-31-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #25
MaverickRK

I was able to get a MOBI file sent across to my iPad using Calibre by doing a conversion to MOBI, and then when doing Send to Device (with the iPad through Calibre Companion as the current device), I chose "Send specific format to", and then double clicked on the MOBI choice. When I tried to read that from Calibre Companion on the iPad, I get two choices for Kindle. One is just the Kindle App, and the other is Copy to Kindle. The first one gives me that wrong format error. But the Copy to Kindle option works.

The only problem I have found is that for books with images, like my "Mastering the Nikon D810", it removes all the beautiful color images. I have tried other formats and gotten the same thing.

So at this point, the best thing I can do is use that technique for all my other books, but first download any books with images to my iPad from my old Amazon account before I lose control of it, and just hopefully never have to delete it. Not sure if it will come across if I buy a new iPad and do some kind of copy over.

Anyone else have any ideas about the books with images? And thank you all for your help and these solutions. Removing the DRM using DeDRM and using Calibre Companion worked for all the other kinds of books.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #26
MaverickRK

Angry Update. Almost worked.

Well, I was almost right about my solution for the book with the color images in it. The problem is that when I went to deregister my iPad Kindle App from the old Amazon account and reregister it to the new one, it says it will erase all my downloaded books.

That does not happen with my Kindle Paperwhite, as everything that is downloaded onto the device stays on the device when you deregister it and then reregister under a new account.

Oh well, unless someone has a better solution, it looks like I will just have to rebuy the books that have images that I want.

Thanks.

Tags
calibre 3.46.0, calibre companion, kindle app for ios