Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Unexpected conversion

I have been using Calibre on linux until now, but today I installed it on my Windows 7 netbook. I told it to copy some ebooks to my Astak reader, and, unexpectedly, it asked if I wanted to convert the books as it copied them onto the device. I said yes, just to see what it would do. It converted them to mobi format, even though it's output format for conversions is set to ePub.

When I downloaded these books from Fictionwise I selected ePub. On Windows 7 using IE, it downloads a zip file, but under linux using Firefox, it downloads an .epub file. The zip file contains the same contents as the epub (after all, an epub is really a zip file anyway)

So this is why Calibre needed to convert, but the question is, why to .mobi, when a simple rename would have made it an epub?

Also, why does Win7/IE down a zip file from the same link/menu choice on fictionwise, that linux/Firefox doewnloads an epub?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the default format for the astak is set to mobi, you can change it in preferences->plugins->device drivers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thanks. I never thought to look in the plugin section for a preference like that. I will change it.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the default format for the astak is set to mobi, you can change it in preferences->plugins->device drivers.
I see nothing named "device drivers" under plugins. The nearest is "Device Interface Plugins". In there, I find a list, but no default setting - however, I presume that moving ePub to the top of the list is, in fact, what you meant for me to do?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
either unselect mobi or move epub to the top
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert