Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Getting calibre2opds working

Okay, I'm usually not this dense (I blame Christmas).

Using a Mac (10.10)

My Calibre Library (2.74) is currently living in Documents/Calibre

I want to use Dropbox (in combination with updog) to have my library available to me "on the road".

So, my question:
  • Do I need to move my library to my updoggy Dropbox folder (/Dropbox/Apps/updog) and then sync the whole she-bang?
  • If I move the library to the updoggy folder, do I just turn off DB sync, add new books as required, close Calibre and sync?
  • Or, am I missing something and should leave the library where it is, establish the location in calibre2opds and sync to Dropbox?
This is making me feel very dim.

I'd appreciate any pointers
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The simplest solution is to move the Calibre library to the updog folder and use Calibre2opds in its default mode to generate the catalog as a sub-folder (default name of '_catalog') of the Calibre library folder. In this scenario it is recommended that you turn of Dropbox sync while running Calibre to update your library, although in practise you will probably get away without doing this if you never run Calibre on another machine at the same time.

The alternative is to have the Calibre library folder somewhere else and run Calibre2opds in its 'publish' mode to create a a copy of the Calibre library and Calibre2opds catalog in the updog library folder under DropBox. This would mean that you end up with a second copy of your Calibre library - one in the current location and the other in the updog folder under Dropbox. This scenario avoids any potential DropBox sync issues as your master Calibre library is no longer under DropBox control.

Both the above scenarios have been used while testing Calibre2opds with the updog+DropBox combination . I will update the Calibre2opds documentation to try and make the options clearer.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 01:03 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see that if you decide you like updog.co enough to pay the $9.99 one time charge to opt into the Pro version then you can use any folder under Dropbox rather than being restricted to the Apps/updog folder.

Not sure myself whether Calibre2opds users will think that opting for the Pro version is something they are likely to do but thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard

I notice that there has been a questionnaire added to the https://updog.co site asking about using Cloud services other than Dropbox in conjunction with updog. The question of what cloud services can be used for a Calibre+Calibre2opds combination is one that frequently gets asked and up to now the choice has been very limited.

I would encourage any Calibre2opds users who are interested in using alternative cloud services to host a Calibre+Calibre2opds combination to put in their vote to encourage the updog developer to put in the work for getting their favourite cloud service supported via updog.

Disclaimer: I personally have no link to updog.co - I am merely promoting it as a way to make Calibre2opds useful to a wider audience.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #5
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The alternative is to have the Calibre library folder somewhere else and run Calibre2opds in its 'publish' mode to create a a copy of the Calibre library and Calibre2opds catalog in the updog library folder under DropBox. This would mean that you end up with a second copy of your Calibre library - one in the current location and the other in the updog folder under Dropbox. This scenario avoids any potential DropBox sync issues as your master Calibre library is no longer under DropBox control.

Both the above scenarios have been used while testing Calibre2opds with the updog+DropBox combination . I will update the Calibre2opds documentation to try and make the options clearer.
This sounds like my preferred option (because I'm notorious for breaking things). Thank you so much for the detailed replies!!!
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #6
skb
Evangelist

Okay, I'm so very nearly there.

I've published the library to Dropbox in the updog directory and created the _catalog etc.

I can view the library at https://exampleme.updog.co with a web browser & passcode but I can't seem to make the connection via my iphone & Marvin.

I've entered the address (and my passcode that I created in updog to access the "site"). I've also tried without the passcode but no joy.

When accessing via Marvin SxS, I get a blank screen.

thanks again!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

With Marvin you have the option of using a HTML or a OPDS version of the catalog. For the OPDS version you use index.xml (rather than index.html) as the top level of the catalog.

If you want me to look further you can PM with the details you are using for accessing the library to see if I can spot what is wrong.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
skb
Evangelist

Thank for that.

Okay, for the xml version, I'm now getting "Cannot download feed. The service might not be available...etc" but I've checked on the browser and I can see the xml.

I will indeed, PM you. Thank you so much!
Old 12-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
skb
Evangelist

Just FYI for anyone else on this journey:

itimpi has pointed out that the updog passcode is probably not compatible (at this time) with viewing the catalog via OPDS in the reader app. That is, currently, the passcode is not working as anticipated (although, it works a treat via a browser).
Old 12-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
skb
Evangelist

So, once I removed the passcode and used the correct URL to connect to (I needed to use the index.xml) for Marvin, it's all working.

Thanks again to itimpi for the fabulous system!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Just FYI for anyone else on this journey:

itimpi has pointed out that the updog passcode is probably not compatible (at this time) with viewing the catalog via OPDS in the reader app. That is, currently, the passcode is not working as anticipated (although, it works a treat via a browser).
Just heard back from Jesse at updog - you should find that you can now use basic http authentication. There is a demo at https://http-basic-auth-demo.updog.co/. (username=demo, password=demo).

You can also (optionally) pass the details in the URL by using one of the form
https://usernameassword@URL

Last edited by itimpi; 12-19-2016 at 05:56 PM.