Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Deutsches Forum > Erste Hilfe

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Suche Twains erste deutsche "Yankee"-Übersetzung

Mark Twains Connecticut Yankee ist laut Wikipedia in frühester deutscher Übersetzung "1923 vom Stein-Verlag (Wien) herausgegeben" worden. Wikipedia nennt den Namen des Übersetzers nicht, ich selbst finde mit den dürftigen Angaben weder das Buch selbst noch den Verlag (Verlagsnachfolger) bei irgend einem mir bekannten Antiquar. Kann da jemand weiterhelfen? Oder hat es gar schon jemand auf seiner To-Do-Liste? Falls das Copyright es zuläßt, wäre ein E-Book jedenfalls eine echte Bereicherung des MB-Fundus.
Gruß aus Bremen
SF
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
... Falls das Copyright es zuläßt, wäre ein E-Book jedenfalls eine echte Bereicherung des MB-Fundus ...
Das wäre es ohne Zweifel. leider scheints keine geeignete Übersetzung zu geben. Ich hab selbst schon mal danach gesucht. Entweder sind die Lebensdaten nicht feststellbar (Paul Eberhard) oder der Übersetzer wird steinalt ...

Und bei Erstübersetzungen wäre ich extrem vorsichtig, die sind oft schlampig auf die schnelle hingepfuscht.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
kalwisti
Enthusiast
kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
Wikipedia nennt den Namen des Übersetzers nicht, ich selbst finde mit den dürftigen Angaben weder das Buch selbst noch den Verlag (Verlagsnachfolger) bei irgend einem mir bekannten Antiquar. Kann da jemand weiterhelfen?
Hallo, slowfax,

I apologize for answering in English, aber mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht. I am a cataloging librarian, and have access to the OCLC / WorldCat bibliographic database.

I did a search in WorldCat for this edition (Wien : Stein-Verlag, 1923); I was able to find out the translators' names for you: J. Botstiber [sic] and J. Ott [sic]. (I have not been able to discover what their initials stand for).

Below are links to screenshots from WorldCat of the two different bibliographic records for this particular edition:

OCLC control # 47876232 ; 1 owning library (= Cambridge University, UK)

OCLC control # 249611494 ; 1 owning library (= Hochschulbibliothek Vechta, Germany)

Note: This does not mean that only 2 copies of this book exist in the world ... It simply means that, thus far, these are the only 2 libraries which belong to OCLC, have cataloged this item and indicated that they own a copy of it. There are probably other copies of this edition floating around / available.

Depending on what type of library service you have access to in Bremen, you might be able to borrow this book via interlibrary loan.

I hope this information will help you with your research. Gruss aus Texas,
=david
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@kalwisti: Thanks to your research I was able to locate a copy in a German library that offers digitization services.

@slowfax: Die Staatsbibliothek Berlin hat das Buch und bietet auch Digitalisierungen an. Allerdings weiß ich nicht, wie teuer das bei 435 Seiten ist.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
kalwisti
Enthusiast
kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kalwisti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@kalwisti: Thanks to your research I was able to locate a copy in a German library that offers digitization services.
@Doitsu,
Nichts zu danken! I was glad to help. WorldCat did exactly what a cooperative database is supposed to do, and is a good example of why catalogers' work is valuable.
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
kalwisti & Doitsu: Thanks for your (successfull) efforts!
Die Universitätsbibliothek Vechta hat mir das Buch reserviert. Ich kann es auf einem Spezial-Buchscanner entweder gegen Unkostenerstattung scannen lassen oder - wenn ich die Daten selbst auf einen USB-Stick kopiere - sogar kostenlos selbst einscannen. Toller Service.
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalwisti View Post
@Doitsu,
Nichts zu danken! I was glad to help. WorldCat did exactly what a cooperative database is supposed to do, and is a good example of why catalogers' work is valuable.
That's true. But i used WorldCat by myself an i never stumbled across these detailed Informations. How did you get them ??

(I'm still looking for a complete copy of Adolf Stoltzes "Kraut und Rüben". There's a Google scan from a book at Harvard, but some pages are missing.)
Old 09-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
kalwisti
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
But i used WorldCat by myself an i never stumbled across these detailed Informations. How did you get them ??
Hallo, mmat1,

The short answer is that I often use WorldCat's "Advanced Search" capability ...

I will try to show you with some screenshots. The version of WorldCat I have access to is Web-based (and uses an English-language searching interface). AFAIK, it does not have a German-language interface; however, it has one in Spanish, French, Arabic, Japanese, Korean and Chinese (both traditional and with simplified characters).

When you first log in, the default setting is the "Basic Search":

Directly beside it, there is a hyperlink labelled "Advanced Search." Click on it to begin selecting criteria for a search with additional qualifiers:

WorldCat -- Advanced Search (step 1)

At this stage, you may select search qualifiers such as Publisher, Place of Publication, Publication Date, Standard Number (this includes the UPC code number of videodiscs and/or music CDs), etc.:

WorldCat -- Advanced Search (step 2)

When you have made all your choices, you will see something like this:

WorldCat -- Advanced Search (final step)

This feature will greatly enhance your searching capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
(I'm still looking for a complete copy of Adolf Stoltzes "Kraut und Rüben". There's a Google scan from a book at Harvard, but some pages are missing.)
I did a WorldCat search for you, and it appears that the only OCLC member libraries who own this book (the 2nd edition) at the moment are Harvard and Ohio State University in the US:

Stoltze, Kraut und Ruben

Holdings (Harvard, Ohio State University)

Harvard's online catalog shows their copy's call number as:
GerL 1052.809.30, and that it may be requested via Regular Loan.

Ohio State's OPAC shows their copy's call number as:
PG 168 .S876 ; it is housed in their Book Depository (which has books that can be circulated / checked out -- according to the website).

I'm guessing that you are probably in Germany, so I don't know if either of these libraries would be willing to do an international library loan ... But it would not do any harm to check with your local library and see if they can be requested from the USA.

I would just like to point out that this does not mean there are no copies available in Germany ... All it means is that there are no German libraries, who also belong to OCLC, who have cataloged this particular book.

I hope this info will be helpful to you. Gruss aus Texas,
=david

P.S.
You might enjoy visiting the "Watch WorldCat Grow" page, which uses an automated script to refresh the display as new records are added to the database. Although only a brief version of the bibliographic records are shown, it's still a fun little tool to watch:

https://www.oclc.org/worldcat/watch-...t-grow.en.html

Last edited by kalwisti; 09-13-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Edited bad links.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
mmat1
Berti

Hi David

thanks a lot, that was most comprehensive. Now i found it by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalwisti View Post
Hallo, mmat1,
I will try to show you with some screenshots. The version of WorldCat I have access to is Web-based (and uses an English-language searching interface). AFAIK, it does not have a German-language interface; however, it has one in Spanish, French, Arabic, Japanese, Korean and Chinese (both traditional and with simplified characters).
It has a german interface, actually i don't need one ...

Quote:
I'm guessing that you are probably in Germany, so I don't know if either of these libraries would be willing to do an international library loan ... But it would not do any harm to check with your local library and see if they can be requested from the USA.
Yes, i'm in Germany (Google "Zischebattem" )
I guess they wouldn't. I just need a copy of those five missing pages. I will see if there is a copy-service at the libraries.

Quote:
I would just like to point out that this does not mean there are no copies available in Germany ... All it means is that there are no German libraries, who also belong to OCLC, who have cataloged this particular book.
Yes, i checked this. Even the museum here in Frankfurt doesn't have a copy.