Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
About 100 books a year, maybe 20 years...

I'm 55, and apparently the US economy has no use for me now except as a consumer. So with more time than I've had in decades for reading, I think I can average 2 books a week as long as the eyes and mind hold out. That's 100 books a year. I'm going to plan on 20 years of useful reading life left. That makes 2,000 books.

There are more than 2,000 books worth reading, and that I would enjoy reading, so I have to focus a bit. I'm making a list. I want to have the list ready by next month (at least in a first working version) when I turn 56, and my 20 years of reading officially starts.

From what I've surveyed so far, there may be about 500 public domain books and 1500 copyrighted books on list version 1. I have pretty broad interests, but it wouldn't be unfair to put me in the male nerd category - science, science history, world history (but not in excruciating detail, and no "historical fiction"). Sci-fi and fantasy, detective and mystery. Action and adventure. Some philosophy, of the practical kind. My memory is poor - always has been in some ways - so the thousands of books I've already read, I can still enjoy again

I've the beginnings of a spreadsheet, with author and title, linked to the wikipedia page for each. So far I have about 800 books on the list, in an early state of review. I know I'll identify a number of books of significance or great interest to others that are not for me, so titles will drop off and/or be replaced. I might eventually need 3000+ possibilities to find the 2000 I fully read.

I'm going through the various lists I can find - 100 best this, 100 best that, "great books" lists, Nebula / Hugo award winners, etc.

General or practical advice on how to create and maintain a rewarding reading "bucket list" is hereby solicited.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
First thought: Calibre lets you create multiple libraries and add arbitrary columns to categorize and track read/unread titles. You can even add fields for print editions. So you could use that to manage your "to do" library separate from any other targets of opportunity that crop up in the next 50 years.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I'm 55, and apparently the US economy has no use for me now except as a consumer...
Why let someone else determine your worth. Set your own course, sail your own seas!

a couple of lists in case you missed them:

100 Public Domain Classics:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread435830/pg1

Modern Library List:
http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

Time's 100 Novels List:
http://entertainment.time.com/2005/1...els/slide/all/

The Novel 100:
http://www.adherents.com/people/100_novel.html

SciFi top 100 Novels:
http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

NPR Top 100:
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085...-fantasy-books

The 50 most significant SFF books:
http://mdbenoit.com/blog/blog/2006/1...cant-sf-books/

Library of Congress, Books that Shaped America:
http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/books-that-shaped-america/

Wikipedia list of Joint Hugo/Nebula winners:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Nebula_awards

Don't forget STORIES! There are some wonderful stories out there.
My preference actually over novels!
SciFi top 100 STORIES:
http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_short_stories.html

50 Best Short Stories of all Time:
http://www.onlineclasses.org/2011/01...s-of-all-time/

10 best short story writers:
http://listverse.com/2009/07/30/10-g...story-writers/

Last edited by kennyc; 01-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
What if someone writes something new you want to read?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Are you a member on Goodreads.com? If you are interested in making your reading list public, it might be informative for others to follow your reviews and ratings.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
What if someone writes something new you want to read?
I was going to mention that as well - "Be Flexible!"
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think you're wasting time that could be translated to "more good books." To each their own, though.

I'm just of the opinion that any organized plan to read "only great books" (regardless of reason or age) is an exercise in futility. But I don't think it will harm you in any way, and I sincerely wish you luck with your list. And like others have mentioned ... allow for some flexibility. You don't want to feel guilty for breaking your regimen for a new release.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Kenny you introvert you .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Kenny you introvert you .
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can't do a list for the year, let alone 20, there are just too many things I discover all the time that I want to read.

Here's one popular list...
1,001 Books you must read before you die.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
I'm in much the same boat as you derangedhermit, and I went about it in a similar way, organizing it in Calibre.
Go for it.
And for lists, try The Booklist Center, a pretty comprehensive list of lists.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The impression that I want a static 20-year list is misleading - I hope to find works that trigger my reading further into that author's works, or related works by other authors, or seaching for the diametrical opposite. And of course I will just come across things over time, and I imagine there will be new works published every year I will find and enjoy.

I don't want to force myself to read a "classic" because I "ought to", or to only have classics or "great books" on the list. For example, in my youth I couldn't stand Dickens: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the..." - come on, get on with it, man! But I want to give myself one more chance to find what so many others have found in his writing.

Time I spend on the list doesn't cut into my reading.

One thing I thought of adding to the public domain books list is a link to my favorite downloadable version, wherever it is online. I'm not looking forward to manual searches for better versions over time, but now I don't know any way to avoid it.

There are plenty of authors that I like that aren't considered "great" writers, and they will be on the list; the idea is to find things I enjoy and benefit from reading. I'll probably try to get my son engaged in reading from the list, but that pretty much covers my evangelical aspirations, or trying to please a wider audience.

Thanks for the reminder on short stories / novellas. I want to include poetry, too.

I haven't checked into Goodreads in a while, I'll do that.

I use Calibre, but I'm not sure if the list itself and how I want it is supported by Calibre; certainly worth finding out, though.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I can't do a list for the year, let alone 20, there are just too many things I discover all the time that I want to read.

Here's one popular list...
1,001 Books you must read before you die.
Read the linked original blog post and the comments. Evidently the original list in the first edition of the book (the list at the blog) came under considerable criticism and has been extensively revised in later editions.

Not that there is anything "wrong" IMO with the list; just a heads-up to people who might start working from it to check into its evolution.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why let someone else determine your worth. Set your own course, sail your own seas!

As long as the money for the family holds out, I'm with Marvin:

"I think,'' he murmured at last, from deep within his corroding rattling thorax, "I feel good about it.''

Old 01-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
kennyc

Well being in what sounds like a similar money situation here I have to agree with Marvin.

(I'm hoping to clear tax season and figure it out from there. )

Last edited by kennyc; 01-23-2013 at 05:37 PM.