Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #1381
Boyzzun
Boyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Can you post the 100-page file? If you don't want to post it, send me a private message.
Thank you so much, please check the attached file
by the way i see that read pdf in 6 inch is not best ideal so i bought kobo aura for comic, manga and pdf (of course if you can customize 7,8 inch)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCAS II V7.1 Intro booklet_2.pdf (527.2 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by Boyzzun; 05-14-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Boyzzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #1382
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyzzun View Post
Thank you so much, please check the attached file
by the way i see that read pdf in 6 inch is not best ideal so i bought kobo aura for comic, manga and pdf (of course if you can customize 7,8 inch)
I think the most important setting for this document is to cut off the top horizontal bar on each page. Doing that, the default setting seem to work pretty well. The document is quite readable to me:

k2pdfopt -mt 1 tcas.pdf

There are some captions that get separated from figures (there's a lot of space between the figures and the captions in this document, which is unfortunate), but not too many. You might add -fr if you want wide figures rotated to landscape view. You can also add -sm if you want to see how k2pdfopt is parsing the pages.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 AM   #1383
Boyzzun
Boyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the endBoyzzun knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
I think the most important setting for this document is to cut off the top horizontal bar on each page. Doing that, the default setting seem to work pretty well. The document is quite readable to me:

k2pdfopt -mt 1 tcas.pdf

There are some captions that get separated from figures (there's a lot of space between the figures and the captions in this document, which is unfortunate), but not too many. You might add -fr if you want wide figures rotated to landscape view. You can also add -sm if you want to see how k2pdfopt is parsing the pages.
thank you so much, do you have any plan to add kobo aura one to this soft ?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #1384
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you so much, do you have any plan to add kobo aura one to this soft ?
Yes but for now you can select 1404 x 1713 pixels and 300 dpi for the device width, height, and resolution and you'll get the same effect. On the command line like so:
-dpi 300 -w 1404 -h 1713
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #1385
Boyzzun

Quote:
Yes but for now you can select 1404 x 1713 pixels and 300 dpi for the device width, height, and resolution and you'll get the same effect. On the command line like so:
-dpi 300 -w 1404 -h 1713
Dear Willus,

i try to another pdf file with your recommand. My ideal is for the tables, figures, charts will be landscape mode fit to screen and the other pages is normal view, but maybe my command is not correct, when i enter the -fr and the figure (with drawed rectangule) is not only wide all page but also to the next page. so please you check and advise me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K2_v1.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	156780  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xxx.pdf (261.2 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Boyzzun; 05-15-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #1386
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Dear Willus,

i try to another pdf file with your recommand. My ideal is for the tables, figures, charts will be landscape mode fit to screen and the other pages is normal view, but maybe my command is not correct, when i enter the -fr and the figure (with drawed rectangule) is not only wide all page but also to the next page. so please you check and advise me
Add the option -f2p -1 to fit the figure to one page. See attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrshot.png
Views:	246
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	156789  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #1387
Boyzzun

Quote:
Add the option -f2p -1 to fit the figure to one page. See attached screen shot.
Briliant,

i will check all the command line in your webside and customize for the document in the feature
By the way the resolution of kobo aura one (my friend check) is 1404 x 1872
Old 05-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #1388
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Briliant,

i will check all the command line in your webside and customize for the document in the feature
By the way the resolution of kobo aura one (my friend check) is 1404 x 1872
My dimensions for the Kobo Aura One are based on the posted screen shots from this post (which was a response to this thread).
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #1389
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.42 released

K2pdfopt v2.42 is released. This revision adds bitmap file output (see -o option), dewarping (like ScanTailor, see -dw option), better auto-cropping (-ac option), and Kobo Aura One device dimensions. See details at the web site.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #1390
Boyzzun

many thanks Willus,

by the way, i have crazy ideal for this soft, if you can add a function that make user can modify the document just like we do on MS word (change size, edit picture, everything we can do on MS word ) and save them to output source, cause normally the pdf cannot convert perfectlly to MS word (i try many times but still not satisfied )

i know my ideal is crazy, but i just want to share with you

Last edited by Boyzzun; 05-25-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #1391
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
... i have crazy ideal for this soft, if you can add a function that make user can modify the document just like we do on MS word (... everything we can do on MS word ...)
You're talking about a level of effort that is multiple orders of magnitude beyond what I could ever hope to do. MS Word for Windows has been developed since 1990, likely by a multiple person, full-time development team. I'm struggling just to find the time to add a modest feature or two every few months. A much more realistic hope is that the folks developing MS Word will continue to improve their (already very good) conversion of PDFs to an editable format.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #1392
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
You're talking about a level of effort that is multiple orders of magnitude beyond what I could ever hope to do. MS Word for Windows has been developed since 1990, likely by a multiple person, full-time development team. I'm struggling just to find the time to add a modest feature or two every few months. A much more realistic hope is that the folks developing MS Word will continue to improve their (already very good) conversion of PDFs to an editable format.
Dear willus, I've just downloaded Windows 64-bit k2pdfopt v.2.42. Why does virustotal say that it is malicious (3/61)?
https://www.virustotal.com/it/file/6...is/1496176733/
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #1393
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

I'm not a virus expert, but I'd say the 3 out of 61 are false positives. There is nothing malicious in k2pdfopt unless you think reformatting PDFs is malicious. It is open source and has been compiled (for Linux) by other people.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #1394
sanon
sanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the endsanon knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: none
Wrong region detection of a 2-column pdf handbook

Hi,

Any idea how I can convert this 2-column pdf handbook so that it is correctly optimized for a Paperwhite 2015. I can't get k2pdfopt to recognize the correct reading order of a 2-column region probably because of an image placed right at the center of the columns.
"-comax 1" also didn't help...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by sanon; 06-18-2017 at 01:27 PM.
sanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #1395
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanon View Post
Hi,

Any idea how I can convert this 2-column pdf handbook so that it is correctly optimized for a Paperwhite 2015. I can't get k2pdfopt to recognize the correct reading order of a 2-column region probably because of an image placed right at the center of the columns.
"-comax 1" also didn't help...

Thanks in advance...
These types of PDFs, with complicated / interrupted column flow, are typically not handled well by k2pdfopt. I need an alternate detection algorithm for flows like this that is smarter about anticipating the interruption. I processed the file somewhat by brute force--by using the -ibox option to ignore the dark "balloons" that interrupt the column flows:
Code:
k2pdfopt handbook.pdf -dev kp3 -ch .75 -ibox3 3.157in,6.032in,1.808in,2.342in -ibox4 5.41in,4.787in,2.149in,2.742in -ibox5 5.528in,1.364in,2.016in,2.683in -ibox6 2.949in,3.69in,2.357in,3.468in -ibox7 2.979in,3.216in,2.253in,3.483in
The result is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf handbook_k2opt.pdf (2.34 MB, 215 views)

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools