Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #61
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I would do that, however I use three different audio players, and don't know right now which one I want to listen to which book with.
As long as you have them downloaded to your computer you can put them on any compatible player from there. You don't need to install from the website to each player.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #62
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
As long as you have them downloaded to your computer you can put them on any compatible player from there. You don't need to install from the website to each player.
I suppose so, but two of the devices are Format 4 and one is Format 3 only.

At any rate, as long as I have access to everything I've ever acquired whether I'm a paying member or not, I'm fine with leaving the books at Audible. I'm willing to gamble that the publisher isn't going to yank books back, nor the company suddenly go out of business before I can download stuff.

If I were THAT concerned, I get Tunebite (or similar software) and convert the unread books (and any I might want to hear again) to mp3, and put them on a storage card.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #63
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well I haven't heard the Jim Dale version, but I can't imagine it's better than the esteemed Mr Fry.
I have both versions and I think Jim Dale does the different voices better, IMO. When I listen to Fry I sometimes get who is speaking mixed up and it detracts from the experience.

I am listening to Kate Daniels - Magic Slays (urban fantasy series), and the narrator for these books is amazing.

There was a great free audiobook offerend on iTunes called The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (action/adventure fantasy), I think it was listed as a podbook or some kind of mix between a podcast and a audiobook. The narrator wasn't the best, but the story was good enough that I purchased the next 4 ebooks (and they just got better).

Other great audiobooks are:
- The Wheel of Time (epic fantasy)
- Beautiful Creatures (YA fantasy)
- The Hunger Games (YA dystopian)
- The Mortal Instruments (YA fantasy)

I read a lot of YA and fantasy. These were all great though. Especially The Wheel of Time since they have a man, Michael Kramer, do the male POVs and a woman, Kate reading, do the female POVs.

Last edited by Care; 06-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #64
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
My favourite audio books are The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher.

The story follows life and cases of Chicago's only wizard for hire, Harry Dresden. Dresden works as a P.I. and a consultant for Chicago PD. He introduces you to the world of magic he lives in, a world with vampires, werewolf, ghosts and other creatures we ignore so we can sleep at night.

There are 12 books with the 13th coming out this summer. All books are made into audiobook and narrated by James Marsters. Marsters is a professional actor and he doesn't just read the books -- he acts them. If a character is running up the stairs, you will hear it in Marsters' breathing, when a new character says something, you will hear the voice change. He's brilliant.

An interesting story to read was made much, much better in the audiobook version.

Highly recommended.
I agree. I just started the first Dresden book yesterday and I think James Marsters is doing a great job narrating it.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #65
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

For the people who listen to audiobooks from Audible: does the site have a large selection of unabridged books? I try to stay away from abridged books. I always wonder what I'm missing out on.
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #66
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
For the people who listen to audiobooks from Audible: does the site have a large selection of unabridged books? I try to stay away from abridged books. I always wonder what I'm missing out on.
Yes, most are unabridged, though they do have abridged as well. I would personally never listen to an abridged version.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #67
Traciinaz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, most are unabridged, though they do have abridged as well. I would personally never listen to an abridged version.
Thanks! I may sign up for them then.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #68
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I thought others here were saying that if you stop paying a monthly fee altogether (for good, not just "suspended"), you lose access to ALL of your purchased books? I was under the impression that you could still download those, as well as purchase new ones ... at the whopping "non-member" rate?

There are very few books I want to purchase that I can't get through my own library, but I have a dozen or so books that I've spent credits on, but haven't listened to at all yet. Are you saying that I'll have to keep shelling out at least $15/month (for one credit) to be able to access those?
If you try to cancel your membership, you'll eventually get a screen that offers you a cheap ($9.99? Don't remember) annual membership that still allows you access to all the sales, etc., and keeps your membership "active". But even without that you'll still be able to use your books. (Though I always keep a copy on my Windows Home Server, just in case.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #69
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'd be willing to pay $10 for a year to get the lower price on a few books each year, but I don't need nearly 12 credits at this point.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #70
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I would give Shit My Dad Says a 3.5 (out of 5). 4 for the story, 3 for the narrating.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #71
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Here's a place I ran across, donation in lieu of payment: http://www.podiobooks.com/index.php

I listened to a book called Double Share by Nathan Lowell, read by the author. He does a good job. I bought the first 3 ebooks in the series from Amazon and when I searched for the 4th ran across this site. Excellent Science Fiction series, by the way.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #72
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (narrated by Jeff Woodman) was a joy to hear. Woodman does a spectacular job!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #73
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm listening to Stacia Kane's Chess Putnam series, read by Bahni Turpin. She does an excellent job with all of the voices. This is one series where I definitely think that hearing it enhances the story.

The books in the series to date:
Unholy Ghosts
Unholy Magic
City of Ghosts

A review that I think encapsulates why I enjoyed these audiobooks:
Quote:
I had no expectations going into this book. At first I thought the reader sounded a little young for the main character but then realized that she needed the vocal range for all the other characters. This is a very dark, very gritty urban fantasy series. The basic set up is that in 1997 all the dead's spirits rose and started killing people...lots of people...almost all the people. The few practitioners of magic in the world eventually managed to prove themselves as true witches and banished the ghosts to the City of Ghosts under ground and a whole new post-apocalyptic world began. The main character, Cesaria Putnam is a Church Witch who debunks false hauntings. She's also a functioning drug addict. She's a powerful witch but ultimately as a drug addict hiding her addiction she's vulnerable to anyone who decides to blackmail her. The story is basically a mystery in an unexpected world with some wonderfully colorful and sometimes very cruel characters. I found the world building to be fantastic and the depiction of the life of a functioning drug addict was pretty harsh and exceedingly accurate. I personally fell in love with these characters (a stand out is Terrible, the local drug dealer's enforcer who is a whole lot more than he seems at first) and quite specifically the whole Downside patois and vibe. I have to say the reader for this audio book absolutely knocked it out of the park. I honestly don't know if I would have found the books (I have actually listened to all that are available now...BRILLIANT) as affecting if I hadn't been listening to Bahni Turpin's interpretation of the various characters. Really stellar work. - Tantris
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #74
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering View Post
I really like the way Jim Dale reads the Harry Potter books
Absolutely, the Harry Potter series read by Jim Dale are utterly fabulous.

Also, the Rob Inglis versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy are not to be missed. They are the only unabridged ones and are truly exceptional.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #75
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Superb Male Narrators:

Frank Muller
John Lee
George Guidall
Simon Vance
Dion Graham
Will Patton
Simon Prebble
Jonathan Aris
Humphrey Bower
Edward Herrmann
Bronson Pinchot
Neil Gaiman
Tom Stechschulte
Jim Dale
Stefan Rudnicki

If there's interest, I'll post a 'Superb Female Narrators'. Keep in mind, a narrator is part personal preference. All the individuals listed above have won numerous awards including an Audie (the audio book equivalent to an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy, Tony, etc.) so they have been judged as the "best of the best". I did not include any narrators for which there's strong negative reaction from listeners.

Last edited by Rtturvwsxmavpduc; 07-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Rtturvwsxmavpduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, recommendation