Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
3goldens
3goldens began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thumbs down Juvinile messages from KOBO..PLEASE for the love of GOD STOP IT!

Juvenile messages KOBO sends now
I am not 13 years old and do not particurly care for these new idiotic kobotic instant messges that habv all of a sudden started to appear in the upper right hand corner of the software. Now i do like kobo and i do subscribe to the ny times thru the service but not for long.

I will be looking for another provider if they do begin allowing paying customers to opt out of even seeing this riduculas juvinile idea that in all likelyhood one of the kobo 20 sometinng engineers came up with while smokin a bone. Please KOBO allow those of us that want to have adult experience with our books and be awaybfrom your messaging system that does not imorove my experience one bit!? Let us out these bothersome and idiotic messages.

It would seem like a relativly simple and considerate thing to do. Not every subscriber wants to hear from them every day. Allow us to turn this stupid feature off and not participate. The way it is currently set up does not allow this. it continues despite being set to off.

Time to grow up KOBO!

Last edited by 3goldens; 01-07-2011 at 01:19 AM.
3goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am fascinated... do you have an example of the messages they are sending?

I don't have a Kobo, but I buy ebooks from them all the time.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What software are you talking about? If it is the iPAD version of the Kobo app, did you happen to sign up for the new social feature in that application? Are there settings?

You do know that this is not an official Kobo support forum, right? Your best bet may be to make your complaint here:http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am fascinated... do you have an example of the messages they are sending?I don't have a Kobo, but I buy ebooks from them all the time.
The Kobo reader does not get these messages.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Sounds like the new community feature to me... Check your settings and turn off the messaging.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
I'm an old fart and I found the social stuff on the iPad kinda clever. Especially when it gave me a 50% off coupon!
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
What are these messages, exactly, or rather, from whom do they come? Just regular users of Kobo (very likely) or members of the Kobo team?

I really am very curious now, especially as I don't have access to an iPad. I've often been told to grow up, and I admit, even this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
that in all likelyhood one of the kobo 20 sometinng engineers came up with while smokin a bone.
... made me laugh like mad. Very juvenile, I know.

Anyway, the Reading Life feature looks very interesting. Are there any plans to make it available for other iOS devices? I would be interested in checking out the Reading Life feature on my iPod Touch.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
... made me laugh like mad. Very juvenile, I know.
Juvenile is fine, I hear. It's juvinile that's the bad one.

Kobo is planning on releasing this for other platforms.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
Jjuvinile messages KOBO sends now
I am not 13 years old and do not particurly care for these new idiotic kobotic instant messges that habv all of a sudden started to appear in the upper right hand corner of the software. Now i do like kobo and i do subscribe to the ny times thru the service but not for long.

I will be looking for another provider if they do begin allowing paying customers to opt out of even seeing this riduculas juvinile idea that in all likelyhood one of the kobo 20 sometinng engineers came up with while smokin a bone. Please KOBO allow those of us that want to have adult experience with our books and be awaybfrom your messaging system that does not imorove my experience one bit!? Let us out these bothersome and idiotic messages.

It would seem like a relativly simple and considerate thing to do. Not every subscriber wants to hear from them every day. Allow us to turn this stupid feature off and not participate. The way it is currently set up does not allow this. it continues despite being set to off.

Time to grow up KOBO!

um, wow....that's really all I can say...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Next you'll be complaining how bad the coffee is that comes out of the Kobo unit. Oh wait. The Kobo doesn't make coffee.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am fascinated... do you have an example of the messages they are sending?
Yeah, let's hear some of these messages, because I'm completely in the dark about what's being discussed here?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, let's hear some of these messages, because I'm completely in the dark about what's being discussed here?

ltr
I'm at work and one of my clients just got an update pushed to her iPhone for the kobo reader as we were discussing e-book readers and apps. It looks like it does integrate the reader with Facebook, twitter and other social media sites, so it's very possible this person is seeing either twitter or facebook message/comments pop up in regards to articles they are reading. I've asked my client to let me know if she sees anything of the sort when she's reading her books.

But like others have mentioned, there should be a setting to remove/turn off such interlinked functionality. I just didn't have the time to check it out more myself.

cheers!
Steph S.

Actually, take a look here

Last edited by Psyke; 01-05-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
3goldens
3goldens began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
The messages that are pushed through can not be turned off. I have the setting turned off but they continue to come on a daily basis.

As for the content, I don't have one right in front of me but they are statements like, congratulations you have been reading for two hours right past prime time television time or something like that, and others like You've started a new book why not share it with your friends.

these may have something to do with facebook or twitter, but who the hell cares, I don't want to get them, I don't want to share my habits with them or anyone else, or be bothered while relaxing reading the paper. One is forced into participating in this idiotic children's facebook exercise.

Gee goody goody, I'm reading a book and I want to tell then world all about it.

I only get the NY Times on the ipad and do not know where else this crap is pushed to. Kobo does not allow one to read the times on ones desktop.

I do not have a kobo reader but rest assured if you don't have the social reading experience happening on your device yet, you surely will if these moronic marketers have anything to say about it.

Because its all about the money and about integrating with the Zucker bastards grand project of global social farce integration, and the by product being his becoming a billionaire at what, 25?

So tired of it and so will the rest of the world in short order. I'm waiting for the whole thing to come tumbling down, and it will! Their expectations are way out of proportion and it will be comical to see how it crashes and burns in the end!

And I did make a formal complaint to KoBo,don;t expect to hear from the twenty somethings that run that place though, you think they give one hoot about bothering readers with stupid marketing gimmicks, not a chance!

Oh and I love the comment on spelling, give me a bloody break, you actually think I didn't know how to spell the word? Another obsessive moron, who never makes a mistake on their mobile device!
3goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Considering that your posts within this thread have been born of frustration and thus aggressive/angry in nature and you do not like the way the Kobo software works, it would probably be best to discontinue using the software.

Continuing to call the development staff "twenty somethings" or juvenile, plus having a go at respondents to your post does not solve the issue.

Your first post on a forum need not have been so aggressive, even if you were frustrated and annoyed.

The old adage of you can trap more flies with honey than vinegar certainly rings true.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Uninstall the Kobo application.

If you want to try again, reinstall it starting from scratch and choose the settings carefully. If you at any point authorized contact/communication between the Kobo application and programs/sites/apps like Facebook or Twitter, deauthorize the individual applications before doing this.

Nice edit on your first post, btw.

Last edited by taming; 01-07-2011 at 07:13 AM.