Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, since Best Buy is doing $100 off on the Mini 4 (sale on some other iPad's too) as part of their Memorial Day sale I just pulled the trigger. Looking forward to picking it up in an hour or so.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, since Best Buy is doing $100 off on the Mini 4 (sale on some other iPad's too) as part of their Memorial Day sale I just pulled the trigger. Looking forward to picking it up in an hour or so.
Go for it - sales on Apple kit are very rare!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I went for it. Just playing with various reading apps on it right now before settling in to the one I want to use as my primary reader.

Was going to use MapleRead since I bought it for my phone a while back, but see that I'll need to buy another version for iPad since it's not a universal app like pretty much every other app I have. I'm running the phone one on there now just to test settings, but running a "phone only" app on an iPad isn't ideal. Not opposed to buying it again, just want to make sure it's what I want first.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #19
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No tablet allows you to store apps on a SIM card. That's not what SIM cards are for.

You are wrong. My other tablets allow me to store apps on my sim card. My Samsung Galaxy nook and my Regular Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7 Allows me to store apps on the sim card. Only ones I can not is mostly the preinstalled apps
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You are wrong. My other tablets allow me to store apps on my sim card. My Samsung Galaxy nook and my Regular Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7 Allows me to store apps on the sim card. Only ones I can not is mostly the preinstalled apps
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. You cannot store apps on a SIM card. Perhaps you're confusing a SIM card with an SD card? A SIM card is a "Subscriber Identity Module": the "smart card" you put in your mobile phone to identify you and authenticate the phone on the cellular network. An SD card is a memory card that expands the storage capacity of your device.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-31-2017 at 03:23 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

SIM Card - for mobile phones (and other cellular connected devices)

SD Card (memory card for storage)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #22
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Oh, I went for it. Just playing with various reading apps on it right now before settling in to the one I want to use as my primary reader.

Was going to use MapleRead since I bought it for my phone a while back, but see that I'll need to buy another version for iPad since it's not a universal app like pretty much every other app I have. I'm running the phone one on there now just to test settings, but running a "phone only" app on an iPad isn't ideal. Not opposed to buying it again, just want to make sure it's what I want first.

I love my Mini 4! It's what helped me to switch over to iOS. I still love Android but for now I'm really enjoying iPhone/iPad.

I think I decided on MapleRead as my reader of choice. I would have chosen Bluefire but not having columns in landscape is kind of a dealbreaker for me for reading on iPad (I also have a 9.7" Pro). Unless someone knows how to make columns happen?
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
How are you reducing eye strain on these, for reading 7+ hours at a stretch?

Is there a specific reading app that helps?
I really enjoy reading on my Mini! A higher resolution screen is critical to me to avoid eye-strain. I think it helps to experiment with different reading apps to find the ones that have controls for line spacing, text size and font, margin size, etc that are most comfortable for your eyes. Some apps allow customization of different colors for text and background or even textured backgrounds like paper too.

I turn night-shift on and that helps with low-light and night-time reading. I also switch to a black background with white text (the white becomes light yellow with night-shift on and is softer on my eyes).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I really enjoy reading on my Mini! A higher resolution screen is critical to me to avoid eye-strain. I think it helps to experiment with different reading apps to find the ones that have controls for line spacing, text size and font, margin size, etc that are most comfortable for your eyes. Some apps allow customization of different colors for text and background or even textured backgrounds like paper too.

I turn night-shift on and that helps with low-light and night-time reading. I also switch to a black background with white text (the white becomes light yellow with night-shift on and is softer on my eyes).
Yes, apps that allow a high level of customization is a must. I use Marvin and go with a light blue background and white text. I've been using it on computer screens for years and for whatever reason find it very easy on my eyes.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote