Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Question What is the difference between Booxtor's updates and the official ones?

In particular, I've found that after I applied Booxtor's update a few months ago, I'm no longer able to update to the "official" update that has been released on onyx-boox.com.

Also, I suspect, onyx-boox is no more "official" than ereader-store.de (and therefore Booxtor himself).

Unfortunally, I don't speak chinese so consulting the real, official website to figure out what's going on is not possible.

So, who's more official? Booxtor or onyx-boox.com? Which updates are better? Are you both just independently developing updates so Booxtor's versions will lack features in the onyx-boox.com version and vice versa?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears that neither the updates from onyx-boox.com nor from the official cn website work any longer after I installed Booxtor's update... That's a bit strange.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
The site onyx-boox.com is not an official site, it's only a site bought by a vendor ArtaTech (polish). They only sold some devices.

Booxtor works for the site http://ereader-store.eu (German) and make the support of many users - read the forum.

Booxtor works closely with ONYX to develop the devices and the firmware.

Booxtor said that there is some flavors of devices, the firmware that he give is for the international market. So, you would prefer the firmwares for the international market, those given by Booxtor.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Booxtor works closely with ONYX to develop the devices and the firmware.
And the other's do not? Who says that?

Quote:
Booxtor said that there is some flavors of devices, the firmware that he give is for the international market. So, you would prefer the firmwares for the international market, those given by Booxtor.
I'm not aware of any such flavours. From the absolutely-no chinese I understand, the official website does not distinguish between any such flavours either.

In any case, are you claiming that there is only one correct line of updates (I don't know what you mean when you say I'd "prefer" one or another) and that is Booxtor's? I.e.: The official updates from the official website are wrong for me, so are those from onyx-boox.com?

I do not mean to discredit Booxtor, but with regard to that question, he hasn't made any statement other than offering his updates, so what makes you think that Booxtor's updates are the right ones and the other updates are the wrong ones (and what tells us who has an "international" flavour and who has a "national" flavour - if such a thing exists)?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First, I don't say "you must...", I give the information collected in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
And the other's do not? Who says that?
Booxtor said that he has a particular status with ONYX.

Quote:
In any case, are you claiming that there is only one correct line of updates (I don't know what you mean when you say I'd "prefer" one or another) and that is Booxtor's?
Booxtor has worked with ONYX to improve the device and give the advice to take care to the origin of the firmware. He said that the firmware that he gived are for the international market.

Quote:
I.e.: The official updates from the official website are wrong for me, so are those from onyx-boox.com?
This source is only for the Artatech's device with the Inova'TTS. You can read in this forum that the updates comes after the Booxtor's firmwares. I think they are build on Booxtor's firmware.

Quote:
I do not mean to discredit Booxtor, but with regard to that question, he hasn't made any statement other than offering his updates, so what makes you think that Booxtor's updates are the right ones and the other updates are the wrong ones (and what tells us who has an "international" flavour and who has a "national" flavour - if such a thing exists)?
The Booxtor's firmware aren't the right ones, they are only the product of the work of Booxtor and the ONYX's developers.

I hope that it's more clear.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
This source is only for the Artatech's device with the Inova'TTS. You can read in this forum that the updates comes after the Booxtor's firmwares. I think they are build on Booxtor's firmware.
Could you possibly rephrase? I can't parse that.

Quote:
The Booxtor's firmware aren't the right ones, they are only the product of the work of Booxtor and the ONYX's developers.
If that's so, why does onyx-boox.com and the chinese website publish yet another update?

Actually, I don't expect you to answer these questions, since most of what you know - so I reckon - is purely based upon hearsay anyway.

After all, these are Booxtor's updates, so I would suppose Booxtor could answer this question about how his updates relate to the 2 others (onyx-boox.com and onyx-international.com.cn)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What do you mean by "more" official? If you have bought the device from ArtaTech you should use their firmware. If from ereader-store.de use the firmware from Booxtor. They all official, just different vendors. Can you share the link to chinese website having firmware not compatible with Boxtor's?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
ManDay
E-Reader

I don't think it matters from which vendor you buy your M92 - you always get the same device. Do you think they're re-soldering the circuits just so they can have their own tailor-made firmware? They are just _reselling_ it, in the very meaning of the term.

This policy where Booxtor is a sort of self-proclaimed spokesman for Onyx (I'm not doubting him, but it's weird no less) is far from normal. If you buy a Samsung Galaxy at your local cellphone shop you would expect to receive updates and support from Samsung, not from the shop owner, either, would you.

Along those lines, the situation we're dealing with here is sort of like there are three shops in town: Mr. Booxtor's shop, onyx-boox.com's shop and an official Samsung shop. They all sell the same Samsung Galaxy but everyone claims *he* has an update for the device, and they are all different.

I've been reading this forum myself, but the claim that there are different "flavours" of the M92 in circulation sounds more like a rumour to me.

It is safe to conclude though, that Onyx' PR are chaotic at best.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Randy11
Wizard

The hardware is the same for european models (Booxtor), not for russian model.

The difference is in the software.

The vendor ArtaTech build is own firmware locked for the devices sold by them. The M92 model sold is cold "Black Pearl", it's not the standard model.

When some modifications are asked by the people, it's Booxtor who test and give the link on the new firmware for the standard model.

If you have a standard model, you probably can use the chinese firmware without trouble, but this firmware can differ from the firmware for the european market. It's true, because the chinese dictionary was removed from the european firmware and I'm sure that is present in the chinese version.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
ManDay
E-Reader

After all this time, I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure one of the first updates I did (successfully) for the M92 which I got from ereader-store.de was from onyx-boox.com (that's the polish company, right)?

Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I fail to see the advantage of those three parties developing "diverging" lines of firmware instead. That's like three times the manhours with a third of the potentially achievable improvements.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Zip files with firmware updates have different passwords for Artatech and others, I don't know how could you install firmware with wrtong password.
I don't think there are three different lines. The firmware from Booxtor is almost identical to the chinese. ArtaTech has third party TTS they've paid money for, and looks like they developed some cloud software. I don't think this is significant development.
I agree with you in general it is confusing for customers having different not compatible firmwares for the same device, but I'm not even trying to find logic in the Onyx's decisions.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:
After all this time, I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure one of the first updates I did (successfully) for the M92 which I got from ereader-store.de was from onyx-boox.com (that's the polish company, right)?

Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I fail to see the advantage of those three parties developing "diverging" lines of firmware instead. That's like three times the manhours with a third of the potentially achievable improvements.
The official cinese Onyx site and firmware:
http://www.onyx-international.com.cn/en/services.php

Artatech:
https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-firmware
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Thanks for sharing that knowledge.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
ChristineGER
Enthusiast
ChristineGER began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Well, Samsung has an European subsidiary and a German and a Dutch, and a.... Onyx simply does not. But without locally adapted firmware updates no one outside of China would buy the hardware. Therefore, the re-seller here trys to fill into the gap.
I think you'll have problems like this always when you buy products from China, that are only semi-officially available on western markets.

I think there are legal reasons why Onyx is only working unofficially with these re-sellers as developers. If Onyx would say "this guy is our official representative in Europe," it probably would result in various legal obligations and responsibilities.

My dream combination surely would be Onyx e-reader with Amazon support (guarantees, etc.).
But since the Kindle devices lack so many professional features, they are not an alternative.
And therefore I am grateful that Booxtor ist so much involved for support and updates.
ChristineGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
From the onyx-boox.com website:

Quote:
About Onyx Europe

The Boox range has been a huge success in Europe. ArtaTech is the R&D and software development partner and official distributor for Onyx International.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote