Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
jh3141
jh3141 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
Multiple series?

Hi,

Just wondered how people with more experience using calibre (I've had it for about a week) would cope with a book that exists in multiple series?

For reference, the book is F. Paul Wilson's The Tomb, which is both the second book of his Adversary series and the first of his Repairman Jack series.
jh3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The 'series' custom columns are intended for this.

The new grouped_search_terms tweak might also help, giving you a way to create searches that look at several columns.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The new grouped_search_terms tweak might also help, giving you a way to create searches that look at several columns.
Now you're going to have the poster looking for a tweak that isn't available yet.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Now you're going to have the poster looking for a tweak that isn't available yet.
Ahhh, what tweak is that?

The grouped_search_terms tweak was released in 0.7.17.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ahhh, what tweak is that?

The grouped_search_terms tweak was released in 0.7.17.
So it isn't an actual "tweak" found under preferences - tweak?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So it isn't an actual "tweak" found under preferences - tweak?
Now I am beginning to get concerned that something is broken.

The attached screen image comes from a binary 0.7.17 release. You can see the tweak there. If you cannot, then we need to find out why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	58028  
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Now I am beginning to get concerned that something is broken. You can see the tweak there. If you cannot, then we need to find out why.
I reviewed the current tweaks window. I thought all tweaks would be there in the default state waiting to be modified.

I see the tweak you mentioned in the available tweaks but the following three tweaks, Auto connect to folder, Grouped search terms and Add new book tags when importing books are not listed under current tweaks at all.

Was my assumption wrong? Do you actually have to copy the tweaks from the available tweaks window to the current tweaks window?

FYI - my config is not in the default directory, I set

CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\My Dropbox\CalibreConfig

I guess this solves the mystery of missing tweaks that weren't missing.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Was my assumption wrong? Do you actually have to copy the tweaks from the available tweaks window to the current tweaks window?
Whew. Not totally broken.

Your assumption was wrong. Calibre doesn't copy new tweaks to the current tweaks file. That is up to you. To my knowledge, there are only two times when calibre will touch your current tweaks: when creating a new configuration, and when you push the reset to defaults button.

To help me keep track, I copy only the tweak lines to 'current tweaks', not the comments. That keeps them in a single screen so I can quickly check what I have set and whether new ones have appeared.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
To help me keep track, I copy only the tweak lines to 'current tweaks', not the comments. That keeps them in a single screen so I can quickly check what I have set and whether new ones have appeared.
Excellent idea.

I clicked restore defaults and all the default tweaks were written to the current tweaks window. I then edited back in my tweaks and all was right with the world again.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 AM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, so I accidentally did it right. To do a tweak in the GUI, you copy the code from 'default tweaks' to 'current tweaks' and then do your editing, right? Somehow my tweak for publication date format from a previous version of Calibre (no, I don't remember which one) got reset. I did that one by editing the python file in the calibre install folder, rather than in the GUI. This time, I saw the "tweaks" tab and thought I'd try it this way. When I couldn't get the code in the "default tweaks" window to edit, I copy/pasted the one I needed to the "current tweaks" window and then it let me edit and it stuck.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Ok, so I accidentally did it right. To do a tweak in the GUI, you copy the code from 'default tweaks' to 'current tweaks' and then do your editing, right? Somehow my tweak for publication date format from a previous version of Calibre (no, I don't remember which one) got reset. I did that one by editing the python file in the calibre install folder, rather than in the GUI. This time, I saw the "tweaks" tab and thought I'd try it this way. When I couldn't get the code in the "default tweaks" window to edit, I copy/pasted the one I needed to the "current tweaks" window and then it let me edit and it stuck.
Go ahead and rub it in....
Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Go ahead and rub it in....
But it's so seldom I get to do that!!! (Like never....)

I'm honestly amazed I did it right, when you of all people didn't. And I didn't even do it right on purpose, but by accident!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
But it's so seldom I get to do that!!! (Like never....)
Congrats, be proud.

Quote:
I'm honestly amazed I did it right, when you of all people didn't.
All of the tweaks I wanted were edited in the tweaks window. So I did that right, but I expected any new tweaks to be appended to the current tweaks window as the new tweaks were added. I was very wrong in that assumption. Then I compounded that assumption by opening my mouth in this thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the tweak editor is really sub-optimal, but its the best I could knock together in the available time. Ideally, it would be a list of tweaks and clicking on each one would how you the doc string, the default value and allow you to change the current value. But...
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah the tweak editor is really sub-optimal, but its the best I could knock together in the available time. Ideally, it would be a list of tweaks and clicking on each one would how you the doc string, the default value and allow you to change the current value. But...
I like the tweak edit area, its better then finding and adjusting the file.

I do find it odd that there is a place to enter a tag to use on adding books but, if I understand correctly, it won't work unless you set the tweak to true?