Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #91
PsuchO
PsuchO began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2016 (8-th gen)
Hi all. Can i do jailbreak on my 5.11.1.1 KT4? Or only 5.11.0 and no more?
PsuchO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@PsuchO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You are *not* able to downgrade a Kindle, which means you will have to be running a FW version <= to the factory image we have on hand.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 01:53 AM   #93
PsuchO
PsuchO began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2016 (8-th gen)
Quote:
@PsuchO:
My mistake. My Kindle is KT3. Not KT4.
PsuchO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #94
violet_lee
violet_lee began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Brand new PW4 preloaded with 5.12.1?

I'm so stupid.

Just got my first Kindle ever, a brand new PW4 8gb, serial prefix G000 PP11. I didn't even know Kindles didn't have an option for displaying current book cover as screensaver. My last ereader (Kobo Glo) had it and I thought it was just common place.

While browsing for a way to add custom screensavers, I found mobileread and started reading up on jailbreak methods. I had just turned on wi-fi and entered my amazon account details. As soon as I read the whole "factory firmware version" and the advices about airplane mode, I rushed to the kindle to turn on airplane mode. Turns out it was already too late. While looking at device information, I found out I'm already on 5.12.1.

Could it be that 5.12.1 came pre-installed, or does 5.10 already installs updates without asking? I didn't ever actively try to update or even accepted an update. I only have it for like two hours and I'm kinda pissed that I'll be stuck with the ugly default screensavers for the foreseeable future.
violet_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@violet_lee: If you post the first few (8? 10? 12? can't remember) characters of the S/N, @ilovejedd might be able to tell you the FW version it possibly came with.

In any case, OTA updates are pushed fairly aggressively (and, yes, silently and without consent needed), so, you might not have been able to avoid it anyway, depending on the exact timing.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 AM   #96
violet_lee

Quote:
@violet_lee: If you post the first few (8? 10? 12? can't remember) characters of the S/N, @ilovejedd might be able to tell you the FW version it possibly came with.
It's in my post. G000 PP11. I'm from Brazil and bought it locally if it makes any difference. Well, regardless, guess I'll just have to wait until someone cracks the DRM on 5.12, if it ever happens. I'll try to create the folder to block further updates, even though it doesn't seem to work reliably. Better than nothing I guess. Might be a nitpick of mine, but seeing the cover before reading kind of gets me in the mood and emulates the physical book experience a bit further.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #97
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet_lee View Post
I'm so stupid.

Just got my first Kindle ever, a brand new PW4 8gb...
I'm kinda pissed that I'll be stuck with the ugly default screensavers for the foreseeable future.
Can you return that one to the store? Citing lighting issues, etc? And then get a new one with jailbreakable firmware?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #98
Eleison
Eleison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
Unfortunately the koa2 I ordered from amazon.de shipped with 5.9.6.1 so no immediate jailbreak possibility. Going to send it back as it is such a ux step down even from my old Sony prs650 with prs+. Would love to know if anyone recently ordered an oasis with a jb-able firmware
Eleison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #99
ironick
ironick began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
I'm so stupid.

Just got my first Kindle ever, a brand new PW4 8gb, serial prefix G000 PP11....
I had just turned on wi-fi and entered my amazon account details. As soon as I read the whole "factory firmware version" and the advices about airplane mode, I rushed to the kindle to turn on airplane mode. Turns out it was already too late. While looking at device information, I found out I'm already on 5.12.1.

Could it be that 5.12.1 came pre-installed, or does 5.10 already installs updates without asking? I didn't ever actively try to update or even accepted an update. I only have it for like two hours and I'm kinda pissed that I'll be stuck with the ugly default screensavers for the foreseeable future.
The same with me 1:1!
I am waiting for a solution, тоо ..
ironick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #100
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I'm so stupid.
- - - - - -
Could it be that 5.12.1 came pre-installed, or does 5.10 already installs updates without asking? I didn't ever actively try to update or even accepted an update.

- - - - - -

I only have it for like two hours and I'm kinda pissed that I'll be stuck with the ugly default screensavers for the foreseeable future.
That one, you have to decide for yourself.

Yes, it does.
Amazon Kindles have always done that (other than the K1).

Reads as if you are familiar with our screensaver add-in.
Strange that you missed out on the "leave in Airplane Mode" information for the past ten years.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #101
violet_lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Reads as if you are familiar with our screensaver add-in.
Strange that you missed out on the "leave in Airplane Mode" information for the past ten years.
Actually I familiarized myself with it just after I received it and realized there is no setting to change it. Googled and found my way on the jb tutorials around here. It was already too late though. Had a Kobo for years and never saw a need for jailbreak. Should have researched better before buying. Read tons of reviews but none mentioned this, or the fact that it updates in background without consent, or the fact that you have to turn on parental controls to have proper reading statistics and so many other limitations I am now discovering. Guess that's the reason amazon is so sloppy and authoritarian with its software implementations: most consumers don't even realize it, so it doesn't reflect negatively on reviews and word of mouth. Sigh...
Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #102
aaronwi
aaronwi began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
this needs an update, what exactly to do with the .bin file. your redirect to download the kindle-jb-factory file doesnt explain this process. copy it to root? does this process work with the PW2 5.6.5 firmware? elsewhere I see a different confusing process with kual
aaronwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #103
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwi View Post
this needs an update, what exactly to do with the .bin file. your redirect to download the kindle-jb-factory file doesnt explain this process. copy it to root? does this process work with the PW2 5.6.5 firmware? elsewhere I see a different confusing process with kual
For 5.6.5 the safest jailbreak (without installing initial factory firmware) is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=265675
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 AM   #104
aaronwi
aaronwi began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
For 5.6.5 the safest jailbreak (without installing initial factory firmware) is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=265675
went with factory 5.4.3.2 and upgrade to 5.6.5 and used the jb html files, worked okay with the k5 hotfix too
aaronwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #105
violet_lee

Finally jailbroken!

So, after the initial SNAFU I returned the PW4 and bought a new one. Airplane mode as soon as it arrived this time. Just did the facoty fw install, the jailbreak and the hotfix. All that is left to do is return to non-factory fw and start messing with kual. Do have some doubts:

1. How do I know, at any given point, that the JB Hotfix is actually installed and working? The installation did seem to go through, but you never know...

2. What is generally considered the current "best" firmware for installing in a hotfixed jailbroken PW4? I know >=5.12 is evil, but is it worth it to get something between 5.10.1.3 and 5.12 or should I keep at the jailbreakable 5.10.1.3 for safety? Any noteworthy new official features? Performance and battery improvements or otherwise?

Thank you!