Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #406
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
All right, ‘Nice Weather We’re Having’ in November!
Sounds good to me! I like the topic. Here in the Southwestern desert, we are just entering our nice weather period when the temps drop below triple digits.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #407
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
For previews on the nomination and vote threads list, I've found Google Books, which seem to work on any device. They are scans of pbooks so they're not quite as elegantly formatted as ebook previews but that's made up for being able to view on mobile too.

If a book doesn't have a Google Books preview, such as The Hard Blue Sky this month, I'll still use the Amazon Kindle Cloud preview link if available even though it doesn't seem to work on most mobile devices/browsers and in mobile just shows blackness or redirects to another Amazon page (similar to how nothing appears while trying to view Goodreads previews on mobile, I think because it's the same Amazonian software).

However on mobile anyone can still go to Amazon or Kobo (which can be done by clicking the Goodreads link in the nominations list and then clicking either the Amazon or Kobo link in Goodreads) and then click to preview the book from those pages, if there is one. It's just that there's no way to link to those previews directly so you must manually go there to do it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #408
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now is the time to choose December's topic, our last topic of the 2010s!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

The floor is now open!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #409
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

One thought I had was something about decades since this is the end of a decade (well, maybe not technically but in the zeitgeist). There's not much I can think of to play around with the word 'decade' but one possibility is for all the nominations to be from the 2010s to celebrate its close. It would be more like a category than our usual interpretive topics but it would fit well.

I had also thought of endings as a springboard idea to tie into the decade ending, but I see that the regular club's December topic is about endings so it might be too similar for anyone participating in both.

I'm okay with using anything for December though, whether something along any of these lines or something else entirely.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #410
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Any other last minute thoughts or suggestions? Otherwise we'll probably go with something like 'The 2010s' with any book from the decade being eligible, which could be an interesting way to finish this decade out.

Going once, going twice...
Old 11-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #411
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

One other related idea I just had-

We could also do something like 'The 10s' that could include any book from the 2010s, the 1910s, the 1810s, etc.

I'm good either way or with something else too.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #412
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

All right, just to make it official we're going with 'The 2010s' for our December topic. Looking forward to see the nominations!
Old 11-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #413
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good to me! Have a great holiday week!
Old 12-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #414
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Now is the time to choose January's topic, our first topic of the 2020s!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

The floor is now open!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #415
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I probably won't start the nomination thread until sometime in the next 12-24 hours, but here's a pre-emptive (or already apropos for some) happy new year and happy new decade!

I was hoping someone else might suggest a topic or an idea for January 2020, but I'm fine suggesting some myself! Here's a few I thought of:

-Lions, Tigers & Bears (books to do with wild animals or with wild animals in the title, or the like)

-Heart of Gold (books to do with people with hearts of gold, or perhaps books with gold in the plot or title, or other heavy or precious metals)

-Surprise! (books that have some big surprise or revelation, or it could even be a meta nomination that's simply a surprise because it's not something you'd normally nominate or something not normally nominated in the lit club)

-Revelations (it would be similar to the prior idea, but I suppose a slightly more serious or sombre tone to the topic, and could also conjure up nominations relating to the book of the bible or the idea of the apocalypse or end-times, even if we did just have a post-apocalyptic selection, or religious devotion, mania, visions, etc.)

If we want something tied to the new year or decade:

-2020 (books to do with sight, foresight, hindsight, vision, etc., or to do with the new decade, or even the number 20)

-The Twenties (books set in or published in the 1920s... or 2020s, 1820s, 1720s, etc.!)

Do any of these sound especially appealing for January?
Old 01-01-2020, 02:52 AM   #416
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Happy New Year, everyone! I am still experiencing Holiday Season Hangover! On the one hand, I would like a topic related to a new year and the new decade. On the other hand, I would like something that is easy to find nominations. I do think the topic about gold or other elements is kind of interesting.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #417
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It sounds like you're leaning towards the gold topic then? I'll wait a few more hours to see. I'm happy with any of them, or even something else entirely if anyone has a last-minute idea.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #418
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It sounds like you're leaning towards the gold topic then? I'll wait a few more hours to see.
Silence is golden.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #419
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Silence is golden.
Good one!
Old 01-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #420
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Silence is golden.
Oh, I like it! I'm guessing that was actually a topic suggestion? Either way it works well for a topic. I'll begin preparing the nomination thread so there's still about 30 minutes or so for any other input or clarifications to be had.