Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
LIT makes beautiful LRF files. I do the same thing that AlbertaCowboy does, though --- I run the LIT through the wringer of Book Designer first before giving it to Calibre to convert to LRF. LRF still looks better than ePub on Sony devices, although I guess the handwriting is on the wall that it is a dying format...

LRF is onto better looking then ePub. I can get ePub to display with the font of my choice and I can get true italics and true bold without sacrificing speed. With LRF, if you embed a font family, you end up with a really slow eBook. Sure, it will look good, but the LRF would be way to slow to turn the pages.

Plus, if you move to a different reader (not a Sony) then you would be bake to take your ePub with you without having to convert and then clean up.

With ePub, I can get more text per screen. That means less page turns.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #17
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I guess best looking is in the eye of the beholder. For me, nothing with ragged right could be considered best looking, no matter what else it offers.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I guess best looking is in the eye of the beholder. For me, nothing with ragged right could be considered best looking, no matter what else it offers.
So you prefer wide open spaces
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #20
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As do you.

You just get yours at the end of the lines.
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As do you.

You just get yours at the end of the lines.
When you use large fonts, as I do, to avoid reading glasses then those large spaces in the middle of lines really do screw up the flow of reading.

If I was younger and used smaller fonts I would be with you or, even using large fonts, if the ADE renderer in the Sony had proper hyphenation implemented I might prefer full justification.

Unfortunately I'm not younger and Sony doesn't have proper hyphenation. I'm just happy that now that I use ePubs I no longer have to hack my ereader to change lrf to left justification.

I think there should be an option on readers to switch between full and left justification. I bought my kids jetbook lites and these basic ereaders include this as an option.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #22
Teddman
Addict

I don't think there's an e-reader on the market that supports hyphenation, so I don't blame Sony for that. I just don't see how they can switch their store over to ePub when most of their devices don't fully support the format. It's safe to assume most customers are going to notice when previously they were used to fully justified lrf/lrx.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
It's safe to assume most customers are going to notice when previously they were used to fully justified lrf/lrx.
I'm just glad I no longer have to hack the LRF settings to provide left justification.

Making justification user selectable should be a standard option.