Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #2086
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Kobo Sage:
1. Always available multi-language keyboard like Onyx and Kindle. Purpose: System language can be, for example, English, but a multi-language keyboard option will appear when searching for text inside a book that is in Turkish, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Hindi, etc. For now, I am forced to set System as Japanese so I can search text in any book with Roman letters or Japanese characters without changing my System language based on the book I am reading. If you have 3 or more Target languages, you must always change the System language, it is inconvenient when searching inside a book.
2. Allow multi-language Basic and Advanced Notebooks. If I write in a mix of Japanese and French, the text recognition isn't smart enough to know which is which. I know this is a possibility, because I have used OCR software in many different brands that allow prioritization of text recognition amongst various languages.
3. Allow handwritten Notes and/or text recognition inside "Notes" so I don't have to use the keyboard to make a note inside the book.
4. Ability to export "Markups" layers on books either as SVGs or combined PDF based on location/"page" placement; of course removing the background text of the likely DRM-ed book.
5. Add an IME pad so I can draw the Chinese or Japanese character I want.

Language professionals would rejoice at 1, 2 and 5.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #2087
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
A request to have the option of when waking from sleep to go to the home screen instead of the book you are reading.

I often have 2 or 3 books on the go at once and switch between them, so having a setting that allows an automatic return to the home screen on waking from sleep would be good.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 06:34 PM   #2088
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
If I could set the automatic power off to two hours, or even three, I would do so.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #2089
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
If I could set the automatic power off to two hours, or even three, I would do so.
Check the available patches; there is a patch to change the values.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #2090
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Check the available patches; there is a patch to change the values.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I've never gotten that patch to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2022, 05:11 AM   #2091
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Do you realize that turning on your Kobo would take a lot longer and use more power then just closing the cover (if you have one) and putting it to sleep?
Old 08-06-2022, 08:53 PM   #2092
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
I wish Kobo would fix the ghosting issue when Japanese text is selected, highlighted or looked up in dictionary. Makes it very difficult to read Japanese novels or PDFs when any selection of text leaves the cursor selection circles all over the screen unless I force a page refresh. I had to switch to Kindle to read in Japanese on e-ink.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 08-06-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarity
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #2093
sedgefog
sedgefog began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
An option to skip the compulsory account creation/login on first boot. It's a huge pain to have to edit that sql db.
sedgefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #2094
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedgefog View Post
An option to skip the compulsory account creation/login on first boot. It's a huge pain to have to edit that sql db.
You can use Sideloaded Mode. See this thread to read about it. Post #9.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4191394

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-24-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #2095
sedgefog

This is actually better than nothing, sounds like an improvement over the default behavior actually. Good to know.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...19#post4191419
Old 08-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #2096
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is actually better than nothing, sounds like an improvement over the default behavior actually. Good to know.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...19#post4191419
The thing is, there have been two firmware updates that have blown away the database because of the hack. So don't do it. If you have done it, undo it and start over.

There is no need not be properly registered. I've been registered for over 7 years and I have never had a single problem.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:21 AM   #2097
sedgefog

Point taken, I've registered but it still stands that having no way to read without registering/an internet could lead to a useless device.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #2098
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Point taken, I've registered but it still stands that having no way to read without registering/an internet could lead to a useless device.
Kobo does allow you to read without registering. It was designed for those cases where you get a new Kobo and you cannot register because you don't currently have Internet access.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #2099
jaceygan
Enthusiast
jaceygan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
I want to get into audiobooks. Will be great if the new kobos can work with overdrive audiobooks. The current implementation of audiobooks is going the Amazon kindle (read: wrong) way.
jaceygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #2100
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Maybe the issue I'm having is just the standard footnote problems I've seen reported here with Kobos over the years. But, I'd specifically like to ask that <aside>/</aside> pairs work correctly. If I set up footnotes in an epub3 and put that on my Forma as a kepub, the aside 1) might or might not show up in the footnote popup that's supposed to happen and 2) the footnote text doesn't terminate in the popup at the ending </aside> tag. It just keeps going for some unknown distance. My footnotes look like:
Code:
... source paragraph...<a id="fn1" href="#fn1a" epub_type="noteref"><sup>n</sup></a>... rest of source paragraph ... .</p>

<aside id="fn1a" class="footnote" epub_type="footnote">

<p><a href="#fn1"><sup>n</sup></a>... the note ... .</p>

</aside>
I've reported this to the email link at the start of this thread and on:

https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec/issues/59

but have gotten no response. So, I'm adding it here just in case there's still someone working at Kobo and they occasionally pop in to see things like this.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo