Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yes, I hate that returning preview, it adds another step for me to have to remove it. I've tried returning the book on another device and then removing it on the Kobo but the next time I sync the Kobo the preview appears and I have to remove it.
The preview is a placeholder for any annotations you may have made. When you remove it, the annotations are lost.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The preview is a placeholder for any annotations you may have made. When you remove it, the annotations are lost.
If it's a library book that I'm returning and will probably never read again, I don't need annotations. Too bad there's not an option to turn this off.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
niki11784
niki11784 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I still need help with syncing Libby to my kobo. Right now, when a book on hold on Libby is ready to borrow for my turn I won’t be able to take it out since it is not synced. Can anyone help me with this?
niki11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki11784 View Post
I still need help with syncing Libby to my kobo. Right now, when a book on hold on Libby is ready to borrow for my turn I won’t be able to take it out since it is not synced. Can anyone help me with this?
Are you saying you don't know how to sync the Kobo at all? If so, there are instructions here:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...der-over-Wi-Fi
Old 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #20
niki11784
niki11784 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
YES thank you! Worked perfectly!
niki11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #21
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:

This right here! ☝🏻
I wish I had known this when I first started borrowing books. I lost a lot of useful annotations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
This right here! ☝🏻
I wish I had known this when I first started borrowing books. I lost a lot of useful annotations.

Why do you want to keep annotations for library books? This is not intended to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious. When I return a library book I'd like it all to go away without my having to take additional steps to remove the preview. If I found a library book interesting enough to want to save notes from it then I'd buy a copy of the book.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you want to keep annotations for library books? This is not intended to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious. When I return a library book I'd like it all to go away without my having to take additional steps to remove the preview. If I found a library book interesting enough to want to save notes from it then I'd buy a copy of the book.
Other than my annotations for error corrections which doesn't apply to library books, I'll do notes or annotations in library books when I'm reading a series and would like to have those available after I return the book.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Which is what Kobo are hoping, that you will decided to buy it later. And that as they kept the annotations for you, it will encourage you to buy it from Kobo rather than somewhere else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:30 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the annotations are not actually IN that placeholder though, they are in a separate file or database & the placeholder just prevents deletion. I may have annotated page 999 of some tome and the preview will not contain that page ?
so could they be pulled and saved elsewhere if the placeholder was an annoyance
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:12 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the annotations are not actually IN that placeholder though, they are in a separate file or database & the placeholder just prevents deletion. I may have annotated page 999 of some tome and the preview will not contain that page ?
so could they be pulled and saved elsewhere if the placeholder was an annoyance
Yes, you can pull the annotations. Over the years, there have been many tools to do that. I last used the calibre Annotations plugin but it's overkill for my limited uses.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:27 AM   #27
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Often, I will purchase a book after borrowing it if I enjoyed it immensely. When the stars are in alignment, the annotations are converted over to the purchased ebook. If I've deleted the book preview, or then borrowed it from a different library, the annotations will be gone. I made those mistakes years ago, but learned how the system works.

However, sometimes a reference book is a book I only want to reference. It's nice to be able to borrow the book again and have my notes restored. ¯\(º_o)/¯
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Other than my annotations for error corrections which doesn't apply to library books, I'll do notes or annotations in library books when I'm reading a series and would like to have those available after I return the book.
Quote:
Often, I will purchase a book after borrowing it if I enjoyed it immensely. When the stars are in alignment, the annotations are converted over to the purchased ebook. If I've deleted the book preview, or then borrowed it from a different library, the annotations will be gone. I made those mistakes years ago, but learned how the system works.

However, sometimes a reference book is a book I only want to reference. It's nice to be able to borrow the book again and have my notes restored. ¯\(º_o)/¯
Thanks - makes sense. I still wish there were a way to avoid the extra removal steps for those of us who don't save annotations for Overdrive books.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #29
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Thanks - makes sense. I still wish there were a way to avoid the extra removal steps for those of us who don't save annotations for Overdrive books.

The fastest way I have found to manage all of the previews, because many times I just wanted to preview a book and then decided I wasn’t interested, is to use the web interface, preferably through a desktop browser. That can make quick work of all the previews cluttering up your library. Once you’ve deleted them on the website, sync your kobo and they disappear, if not automatically. Unfortunately, that’s when I accidentally deleted books in the past that I wanted to keep the annotations for. So use discretion.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The fastest way I have found to manage all of the previews, because many times I just wanted to preview a book and then decided I wasn’t interested, is to use the web interface, preferably through a desktop browser. That can make quick work of all the previews cluttering up your library. Once you’ve deleted them on the website, sync your kobo and they disappear, if not automatically. Unfortunately, that’s when I accidentally deleted books in the past that I wanted to keep the annotations for. So use discretion.
MMV, but I think it’s easier and faster to do it on the device. Filter for Previews, click manage books and then select all, then remove, and done. Don’t even have to sync.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara hd, new user, overdrive