Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
gatorman
gatorman began at the beginning.

Device: none
video in epub

Ok, I have a novel I wrote and I have mp4 videos I would like to play at various places in the novel. Can I use sigil to insert the videos? If so how would I do that? Thanks so much in advance.
gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
<p> ... </p>

<div class=”videoContainer”>
<video src=”video H264-640x480.m4v” poster=”images/posterframe.png” controls=”controls”>
</video>

<p> ... </p>

##

The video goes in the Misc folder. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
and it won't be a valid ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
gatorman

What would make it a valid epub?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd probably have to use an <object> tag to embed the video, and provide a fallback item for it (something to render instead of the video, for systems that don't support the specific file type you use, which will be almost all for the moment). I have never used it, so I can't say for sure, but you can read the spec.
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
gatorman

I wonder if having a link to a webpage with the video on it would be possible?
thanks,
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
and it won't be a valid ePUB.
It will in Apple's iBookstore.
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

It would be possible. Whether that works as one may expect or not, that's a different matter.

First, if the device has no network connectivity, it will obviously be a non-working link. Even for devices with connectivity, it would depend on how the reading software communicates with the internet browsing software (if any), and on any plugins or video support available.

In any case, providing the URL in text (hyperlinked or not) would always allow any user to copy it in a computer and view the video, if interested.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
It will in Apple's iBookstore.
It might be accepted, but it won't conform to the ePUB specification, which doesn't list "<video>" as an accepted tag.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
AND, based on experience (a LOT), I can tell you that when you try to upload it to Apple, as an itunespublisher, it fails. They send it back, even though they KNOW it's an enhanced ePUB, because of course they have a special channel for that, so THEN it has an itunesmetadataplist file jammed in the zip, so THEN you have to yank that OUT and send it back again. It's a circus.

And, no, it never passes ePUBcheck, and, FWIW, Sigil rips out the video tags.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Nori
Nori began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
<p> ... </p>

<video src=”video H264-640x480.m4v” poster=”images/posterframe.png” controls=”controls”>
</video>

<p> ... </p>

##

The video goes in the Misc folder. - Fabe
video is in Misc folder, but Misc folder is not located, why??
Can I make a e-pub with video by sigil?
I've been in trouble with video with sigl...
Please help me out
Nori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori View Post
video is in Misc folder, but Misc folder is not located, why??
Can I make a e-pub with video by sigil?
I've been in trouble with video with sigl...
Please help me out
Code:
<video src=”../Misc/video H264-640x480.m4v” poster=”../Images/posterframe.png” controls=”controls”>
</video>
I see 2 errors that need to be fixed to read (Red).
Sigil folder names Start with a Uppercase Letter
If the video is in Misc, the the src= must include that piece of information
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You cannot add video with Sigil out of the box, since video is not supported in the ePUB specs. Only Apple in their crippled adaption of ePUB supports it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Nori
Nori began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
<video src=”../Misc/video H264-640x480.m4v” poster=”../Images/posterframe.png” controls=”controls”>
</video>
I see 2 errors that need to be fixed to read (Red).
Sigil folder names Start with a Uppercase Letter
If the video is in Misc, the the src= must include that piece of information
This makes sense to me (Thank you), but can't run the video still...
If the Sigil can't contains the video, is there any other epub software can
contains the video?

Galapagos, the ebook reader device made by SHARP showed
a few ebooks which contains video, like Apple sampler.
These are not epub, but XMDF format. (which is very local system)
Nori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori View Post
This makes sense to me (Thank you), but can't run the video still...
If the Sigil can't contains the video, is there any other epub software can
contains the video?

Galapagos, the ebook reader device made by SHARP showed
a few ebooks which contains video, like Apple sampler.
These are not epub, but XMDF format. (which is very local system)
Just because you can't See(watch) the Video in Sigil, does not mean that you can't create the document? (still cringing: Video in books )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote