Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Recommend some comics or graphic novels, please :)

I am enjoying my new iPad. I don't plan to read novels on it (I bought it for other purposes and do prefer the e-ink Kindle for long-form reading) but I must admit, comics and magazines look nice. I am very new to this genre though and don't know what to read or where to get it from. So far, I have:

- Two subscrips through Zinio. Both are for cooking magazines and I am using the screencap feature to save the pages I want to keep forever

- A Sandman freebie I found through a web search. I have read Gaiman's novels but never his comics

- Jim Munroe had a free comic too. Again, I have read his novels but never the comics.

- Someone did a graphic novel adaptation of several Cory Doctorow stories. Downloaded it and am eager to read it.

- Something called 'Bound by Law' which seems to be a comic-style illustration of copyright issues, found using a search for 'creative commons comics' (although I got a lot of junk pages too---if the blog writing about something had a CC license, entries would show up even if what they were writing about was not CC)

- Liberte, a free French textbook. It is below my French level but I am curious to try it since I have heard it is being used in real schools.

- I did find one actual 'golden of comic books' website but was confused about how to begin. It would say something like 'Atomic #63' and I was not sure how to start from the beginning or if I would be disadvantaged by coming in so late...

Where do you go to get good stuff? What do you prefer to read? I'd like pub domain/creative commons if possible so I don't have to worry about learning any new DRM schemes at this point. I am sticking with PDF right now. Using Bookman on the iPad.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Something that might be fun to check out: Valentine (in 14 languages) by Alex de Campi (alexdecampi on MR)

Her graphic novel series is offered in multiple languages and #1 is free. You could read it in French.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert