Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Kindle What??

Ok, so I got a crack on my KDX's joystick. Sad for me. I'm going to call up Kindle CS, and they'll send me a replacement.

That's good.

The problem is, a majority of my ebook library is from Amazon. Your books are tied not only to your account, but to the device it is read on. I have edited my azw files, because most of them are series and I wanted to include the book number in the title.

If I get a replacement, I'd have to download all my books from the archives, load them into Calibre, and redo all the Metadata.

There's no way around it that I can see... or is there? I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyway way to avoid going through my books and redoing everything?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Would you be able to load Calibre, connect your Kindle and download the books into Calibre, thus saving the metadata??? Worth a try.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If your books are in the library it should detect them as duplicates and merge them with the existing metadata (check the automatically merge option in add save)
If not you can merge the books manually which is easier than redoing metadata
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If your books are in the library it should detect them as duplicates and merge them with the existing metadata (check the automatically merge option in add save)
If not you can merge the books manually which is easier than redoing metadata
How would I merge them manually?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
For each book, edit the metadata -- first use the "remove the selected format" button to get rid of the old book, then the "add a new format" button to import the new book.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
For each book, edit the metadata -- first use the "remove the selected format" button to get rid of the old book, then the "add a new format" button to import the new book.

You should be able to do this while you're waiting for your replacement Kindle to arrive -- it should show up in your account already, and you can re-download the books to your computer (specifying your new Kindle as the target device)...then doing the replacements as noted above.

(Of course, this is all another motivation for one to strip the DRM from purchased ebooks.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote