Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Ebooks, Quality Assurance, and refunds

I recently downloaded a book from Fictionwise called 'A Dragon Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic' editor Margaret Weis. It is a collection of short stories and novellas about - what else - dragons.

The first story in the book has typos on almost every page, sometimes 5 or 6 on a page, and the second also has some typos. I haven't read any further yet.

I think this is totally unacceptable. I would not tolerate this many typos in a print book; why should I accept it in an ebook? I accept that some ebooks are generated by scanning print books, and that OCR is not an exact science. But print books have proof-readers; why not for ebooks?

If this was a print book I'd return it to the vendor and demand a refund. ButFictionwise put a 100% rebate on this book, and it would be hard to return it anyway.

So what can we do to let vendors know that typos in ebooks are not acceptable?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This seems to be a common problem with ebooks. Publishers seem to treat ebooks as nothing more than a novelty despite the rather large increase in sales lately. I doubt they'll start paying more attention to details such as quality untill sales go up even more, but it is of course possible that this was a mistake, so it's always worth trying to contact the publisher.

Personally I have rather bad experience with some publishers and very good experience with others. So far I've bought ebooks from Faber and Faber and Canongate which have been of very good quality. Penguin, Corgi Books and Orion on the other hand have not impressed me and I certainly wont be buying any more ebooks from them. Penguin was the worst.

Basicly the only thing we can do is let the publishers know what we think by sending them emails and so forth.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a single e-book yet (I have enough with the free stuff for the moment).

I'd write an angry but polite letter/email to both Fictionwise and the publisher, and ask for a refund or, better, for a new corrected version of the book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Alex, tell Fictionwise about the problem book, complain in a polite but firm way to them and they would probably reimburse you and withdraw the book. It is a valid complaint. Also, drop the publisher an email saying in no uncertain terms that you're a very dissatisfied customer.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you can comment on the book at the lace you bought it then do this and point out the faults so that people can avoid buying the book. I also think that a web page collecting this kind of information would be a good idea.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a single e-book yet (I have enough with the free stuff for the moment).

I'd write an angry but polite letter/email to both Fictionwise and the publisher, and ask for a refund or, better, for a new corrected version of the book.
I disagree about the "angry" part. Firm, yes; angry, no - in my opinon.

I would simply write a polite letter to Fictionwise and tell them about the problem. Mention that you are dissatisfied with the quality-control. At this point, I would imagine either you or Fictionwise will suggest a solution.

Fictionwise is a very understanding and human company.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Totally agree. "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" as the saying goes. "Polite" achieves a lot more than "angry".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Totally agree. "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" as the saying goes. "Polite" achieves a lot more than "angry".
Eh, "angry but polite" was the suggestion. I would say that this seems better then a letter that do not show that you care and will continue to buy badly formatted books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, my choice of words is rarely the best I probably meant "firm" as well, something that would clearly show the dissatisfaction and disappointment, but not fall into name-calling.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I know if you got the book from Sony, they have an email address where you can tell them about typos.

I haven't had much of a problem with it, just a few that I would normally see in a pbook.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for the suggestions. I will send a polite but firm email to Fictionwise and Hachette Books Group, and to Margaret Weis if I can track her down.

The main thrust of the message will likely be that I would be ashamed of putting out such a book in over my signature. There are not quite as many typos in later stories, but still more than there should be.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
dasym
Connoisseur
dasym began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle. iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will send a polite but firm email to Fictionwise and Hachette Books Group, and to Margaret Weis if I can track her down.

The main thrust of the message will likely be that I would be ashamed of putting out such a book in over my signature. There are not quite as many typos in later stories, but still more than there should be.

Regards, Alex
I would be interested to hear how you get on with Fictionwise. I know lots of people here say they are a good company to deal with, but I've contacted them twice now about unacceptable typos in an ebook I purchased from them and have received no replies. I'm glad I didn't take out the membership they were pushing at the time I bought the book.

Dave
dasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
typos

I do wonder sometimes at how the typos manage to make it through. You would think that the electronic copy that they use is the same one that they use when publishing the paperback verision, though apparently this is not always the way things work?

Email fictionwise, I would be interested in hearing waht their response was.

I got a book one time where the author misused the word caste, they spelled it cast, instead of caste. Silly english language same sound different word thing! I was surprised the editor did not catch it.

Some of the typos I find in ebooks are from the conversion process that I run them through to get them to imp format. Though if you bought from fictionwise I am guessing it was multiformat so you should not have had a conversion issue?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Email fictionwise, I would be interested in hearing waht their response was.

I want a refund!
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I do wonder sometimes at how the typos manage to make it through. You would think that the electronic copy that they use is the same one that they use when publishing the paperback verision, though apparently this is not always the way things work?
Fictionwise offers a great many out-of-print books, many of which have no digital edition. Books/stories created before ~1990 were often typed, not computer-created. So they make the ebooks by scanning pbooks. Apparently, they're not careful about proofreading their OCR results.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote